diy solar

diy solar

Running a GFCI outlet from inverter.

WNCGUY

I have a mini campervan and would like to add a single 120v GFCI outlet by running a circuit no more than 9' in length from my 1500w inverter to the outlet. Here is where my question comes in, I would be plugging this circuit into the inverters 3 prong outlet, this seems simple enough but would like to get confirmation that this is an acceptable installation.

Any words of wisdom, even if just sharing how you have did this?

Since I would be plugging into the inverters three prong 120v outlet I would think the proposed installation would be safe. If adding the GFCI is an issue then perhaps just use a standard 120v outlet?

My thinking is these two options are the same as plugging anything else into the inverters 120v outlets and the inverter must provide shock protection.

I see no reason that you cannot add a GFI outlet elsewhere that is plugged directly into your inverter as long as the neutral is grounded in the inverter. You can check whether the inverter is grounded by using a multimeter set to AC and at least 200 Volts and testing between the ground contact and the smaller of the two other contacts and it should read around 120 volts, if it does not then the neutral is not grounded and the GFI will never sense a ground fault.

I have a mini campervan and would like to add a single 120v GFCI outlet by running a circuit no more than 9' in length from my 1500w inverter to the outlet. Here is where my question comes in, I would be plugging this circuit into the inverters 3 prong outlet, this seems simple enough but would like to get confirmation that this is an acceptable installation.
The extension cords with GFCI seem like the simple way to do it. No problem adding a GFCI to the 3 prong outlet of the inverter (assuming the inverter outlet isn't already GFCI). No neutral/ground bond needed.

The guy is in a van, the van metal is the 'ground'.
If the inverter is a low cost unit there is a possibility it cannot be neutral to PE bonded, the inverter liturature should state that the bond exists or that the unit can be modified to create the bond, or that its not allowed.
If a GFCI cannot be installed, ùsing any extension cable or distributed sockets is not advised, only connect one appliance ar a time directry Into the inverter output sockets.
Mike

GFCI's are designed to work with or without a ground.
That's true in a grid connected system where the neutral is grounded somewhere. The GFCI in that case works because current will have a path back to the source and therefore can be sensed by the device. But in a system where there is no ground-neutral connection, this won't work. There is no safety advantage in a floating neutral system.

That's true in a grid connected system where the neutral is grounded somewhere. The GFCI in that case works because current will have a path back to the source and therefore can be sensed by the device. But in a system where there is no ground-neutral connection, this won't work. There is no safety advantage in a floating neutral system.
GFCI monitor flow in and out. If the outflow (hot) doesn't match the inflow (neutral) it will trip. GFCI don't care if they have a ground. The ground simply provides another (easier) path to the circuit panel.

Example if your body provides a short to the hot leg the gfci will trip because it doesn't detect flow on the neutral. (Assuming you don't create a direct short between hot and neutral.)

Assuming you are completely isolated from any ground or neutral connection...you can safely bare hand a hot conductor.

That's why you teach a novice to keep their other hand in their pocket while working with electric.

Search terms if you would like to learn more.
- Electric and the "one-hand rule"
- Do GFCI's work with floating neurtral
- Do GFCI's require a ground

Yes the GFI works with a ballance between the current flow in and out of the circuit and will trip if the imbalance exceeds more than 4 or 5 milli amps. But if the neutral is not grounded there will be no leak from the live or hot that can return to the neutral so there can be no unbalance between the hot and the neutral so it will not shut down unless you touch where the hot is leaking and with the other hand touch a neutral at the inverter causing a parallel current flow which will unbalance the GFI and trip it out. So take a meter as I suggested and check to see if the neutral is grounded when powered on. You could check btween the smaller plug contact and the metal frame of the inverter and if you get 120 volts the neutral is grounded. The neutral does not need to be grounded to an earth spike in a mobile situation, if the inverter frame is grounded to the vehicles chassis and the frame and the neutral are bonded togetherin the inverter all will be well.

GFCI monitor flow in and out. If the outflow (hot) doesn't match the inflow (neutral) it will trip. GFCI don't care if they have a ground. The ground simply provides another (easier) path to the circuit panel.

Example if your body provides a short to the hot leg the gfci will trip because it doesn't detect flow on the neutral. (Assuming you don't create a direct short between hot and neutral.)

Assuming you are completely isolated from any ground or neutral connection...you can safely bare hand a hot conductor.

That's why you teach a novice to keep their other hand in their pocket while working with electric.

Search terms if you would like to learn more.
- Electric and the "one-hand rule"
- Do GFCI's work with floating neurtral
- Do GFCI's require a ground
What you say is true... For a system with a neutral that is grounded. Johno stated why.

If this were true then a single hot conductor could never shock anyone and GFCI would not be needed.

You guys think that the GFCI won't work because a plug-in gfci outlet tester fails to trip the circuit when there is no ground/neutral bond.
You're still not getting it. Your home electrical system is grounded. Even if it is so old it doesn't have a ground wire in the circuit, it is still grounded SOMEWHERE. Therefore a fault in the hot conductor will result in current flowing along every possible path back to wherever the system is grounded. But in a FLOATING neutral system, no current will flow during a hot-to-ground fault because there is no COMPLETE CIRCUIT. A GFCI will not operate if no current flows to ground.

You're still not getting it. Your home electrical system is grounded. Even if it is so old it doesn't have a ground wire in the circuit, it is still grounded SOMEWHERE. Therefore a fault in the hot conductor will result in current flowing along every possible path back to wherever the system is grounded. But in a FLOATING neutral system, no current will flow during a hot-to-ground fault because there is no COMPLETE CIRCUIT. A GFCI will not operate if no current flows to ground.

I thought we were talking about how a gfci protects a person.

If no ground or neutral exist in your scenario, then you won't get shocked.

I thought we were talking about how a gfci protects a person.

If no ground or neutral exist in your scenario, then you won't get shocked.
We are talking about GFCIs in a portable system likely fed from an inverter with no neutral-ground bond. If the neutral isn't bonded, then no current can flow through a person to ground in such a system.

We are talking about GFCIs in a portable system likely fed from an inverter with no neutral-ground bond. If the neutral isn't bonded, then no current can flow through a person to ground in such a system.
So all good, right?

Ok.

So let's say a portable generator, not touching the ground etc.

I can strip the end of an extension cord and expose the hot (black wire) and grab it and I won't get shocked so long as the generator is electrically isolated from earth?

Or let's say, I'm wearing rubber shoes?

If you come over to me when I'm holding it, put positive from the fluke meter on my body and the negative on the neutral my body will be at 120 volts but no shocky?

- The fluke would complete the circuit and allow a small current flow.
- How much moisture is in the air?
- To answer this just look at birds sitting on the power lines.

Back