diy solar

diy solar

RV 24 volt system with 24 volt alternator …

auTTiMan

I’m a newb and this is my first thread, so…..go easy on me…

I have a Winnebago View that has the T1N Sprinter engine. It’s my understanding that it can be modified to fit an additional alternator/generator. I’m interested in adding a 24 volt alternator so I could charge a 24 volt battery powering a solar inverter/system.

I don’t have a system installed yet and only considering 24 volt for this reason. If this is not a good idea, I’ll probably go with a 48 volt generator type system but really interested in charging from the vehicle’s engine.

TIA

Im assuming this battery came with the vehicle. I’m unfamiliar with the battery voltage. Is it a 24 volt battery?

If this is a new battery you want to add, to charge from the alternator, it’s easiest to stick with the same voltage.

You could add another alternator for 24 volts. My truck would be fairly simple. As an option, a second alternator can be added so the truck already has a place to mount it and a longer belt I can buy. I would not want to do a second alternator install on a vehicle that did not come from the factory as an option.

You may get a good response from a Winnebago forum.

The 24v alternator is the hard part to get the belt, pullies etc that are needed. Once you locate a kit or an installer the rest will slide into place.

Many RVs out there do just fine at 12v and use the existing alternator to provide some charge of maybe 20 amps. Can connect plenty of solar and at least 2000w inverter to a 12v battery.

Im assuming this battery came with the vehicle. I’m unfamiliar with the battery voltage. Is it a 24 volt battery?

If this is a new battery you want to add, to charge from the alternator, it’s easiest to stick with the same voltage.

You could add another alternator for 24 volts. My truck would be fairly simple. As an option, a second alternator can be added so the truck already has a place to mount it and a longer belt I can buy. I would not want to do a second alternator install on a vehicle that did not come from the factory as an option.

You may get a good response from a Winnebago forum.
I apologize for not making my question clearer. To clarify, I do not have a 24 volt battery. I am considering building a 24 volt system if - and only if - others have had success charging LiFePO4 with 24 volt vehicle alternators and recommend it.
My plan is to add an additional alternator that is used only for charging the 24 volt inverter/solar system.

Advice here,

The 12v alternator can be upgraded,

24v kit,

Unless the inverter is more than 2500 watts there is no advantage in going 24 volts.

Most Sprinters come with an 80A (oldest) 100A or 120A (newest) 12v alternators as stock, and the simplest solution for LiPO4 is just use a simple 'twin battery charging setup'- there's lots of arguments about not constantly charging LFP, but in practice- as long as you stay well under their maximum voltage (ie the standard 13.8-14v most car alternators run at) they can handle it just fine

This is the exact same one fitted to the ute- the switch is very handy- its wired from starter battery + to the house bank +, and if you should get a flat start battery- flick that switch on, wait a minute or two, then you can 'jump start' yourself from the house bank- works well if 'someone' forgets to turn the headlghts off during the day (right mum??? lol)
1716646257784.png

Australian campers have been doing it for well over a decade now- almost two decades!!!, as the weight advantages of LFP made themselves VERY attractive for campers- which here require a special LR or Light Rigid licence ($$$ and has added restrictions on it compared to a car licence) which if the registered maximum weight goes over 4500kg/9900lbs TOTAL weight then any driver using it must have the LR licence to drive it... (having the incorrect class of licence is the exact same legally speaking as having no licence at all- over a thousand dollars if they catch you (and they will)- and god forbid you ever have a crash- insurance is null, so you WILL be paying for the repairs to the other persons property out of YOUR pocket... even if the crash is their fault!!!, so you can see why campers and caravan manufacturers were quick to adopt LFP technology...
Some people insist you 'MUST' use a (usually quite limited current output) lithium charger, but- meh- LFP is actually quite forgiving as long as you stay out of that 'top 10% range' and a simple dual battery isolator is quite cheap and works well...

Inverter power is often a lot more than many like to claim (many say '2400w or higher needs 24v' and the like- looks at the 8kw 12v inverter sitting in the corner of the shed powering this very computer... O'Reilly???? (in best Irish accent)
Yes big inverters like mine need big cables- but they dont have to be LONG- which cuts the cost down considerably...
Mine uses two paralleled 'heavy duty truck starter motor leads per side (handy as the inverter itself actually has FOUR power terminals, 2 positive, two negative)- cost under $35 premade from SuperCheap Auto parts here lol

So yes it CAN be done all at 12v (I will admit my inverter is a 'little' over the top- but it used to live in my work ute, and was used to power tools from grinders up to welders (in an emergency lol)- and having it at the battery voltage of the factory 120A alternator with that exact same dual battery setup was a distinct advantage should the batteries run low (or I was using a welder)- just start it up and leave the engine running while using it, then leave it running twice as long as I used it for afterwards lol)

1716645387305.png
Yes thats 8000W continuous (although I do restrict it to 6k or under preferably- its getting on in years, now exactly 10 years old!!!, and been running 24/7 for the last 4 years....)- that 6 years in the utes tray obviously has left its marks on it!!!

And yes it is 12v...

The double 10A powerpoint right next to the utes rear canopy hatch (with '12v T sockets' under it for the car fridge etc) plus another one inside the cab itself between the seats...
1716645926231.png
A little extreme for a camper (unless you do all your cooking etc on electric)- but a 3-5kw is eminently doable, and a lot better than trying to graft a second alternator onto a Sprinter block (been there, done that- and it is rarely successful longterm- the bracket has to be 'way out' to give belt clearances etc, making them prone to cracking longterm...

diy solar

diy solar
Back