diy solar

diy solar

RV solar power sys w/ LIPOE4, gen. Auto start, idling charging, & ATS???

ready2rvdude

I'm in planning & schematic design for my CAMPERVAN power system; and being new to this, I'm shuffling thru countless devices trying to make a 24/7 powering system on a broke budget.

I currently planned 3.2kw/hr peak usages: cooking/ morning coffee & wash ups.
Hourly max usage is around 1.8kw/hr: AC running, coffee brew (8 mins) or nuking a meal.

I want to be able for generator to auto start and feed ATS AND charge batteries.

THIS IS CURRENTLY MY MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF SYSTEM DESIGN, BUT GENERATOR IS KEY START. ***Needing to start gen in snow inside van***

My current & soon coming (≤3 wks) devices are:
Owned:
1) 3.56kw 14.4v lipoe4 bank
2) 2 kw cont MSW Inverter
3) briidea 50a grid tie ATS
4) 170A vehicle alternator ( '04 Ford SHERROD campervan) lost a 300A in shipping,???
5) 800w cont MSW inverter & 100a hybrid agm (mini fridge only)
4) 400w cont MSW inverter & 70 agm ( cabin lights, 5 & 12v fans, USB strips, device charging)
5) 5k BTU window AC
6) 2 x 250w 12v space heaters
7) 400w 120v space heater
8) 3.8kw dual fuel generator
9) 3 x 75ah SLA Batteries @ outside van (not start battery)

Ordered: should have these in 3 weeks
1) 2 x 300w Solar Panels w/40a charge controller ( can I series (as 36v ***18V panels) these while using the 14.4v lipo as primary battery???) *** look at the ATS SETUP DIAGRAM BELOW***
2) 5pcs DC-DC Voltage Boost modules ( as regulators between solar panel & charge controller as well as battery & ATS )???
3) 6/4 SOOW residential circuit wire for battery connections
4) ***generator auto start switch)***

Thinking I need:
1) more large amp lipoe4 banks (there's a headway cell high C rate pack & LEV60 pack I'm trying to choose from) headways are 200a continuous vs 600-1200a continuous... but LEVs cost twice as much.
2) a panel combiner box
3) 2nd set of panels
4) Emergency Power Station (I want a Delta 2 pro 3.6Kw
5) 300A alternator ( purchased but was lost in shipping "FEEL OUT OF BOX"... more like box was ripped open & it was stolen
6) A better higher watt PSW inverter 5k-10k rms

Can someone reply with a sketch (even hand drawn) to help me gather my mind around the wiring paths... alot of these things are not plug and play...

Thanks

Attachments

• 16956086142636332147119468949181.jpg
    16956086142636332147119468949181.jpg
    775.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 16956086792744451894284977082455.jpg
    16956086792744451894284977082455.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 16956089279136376843030473384070.jpg
    16956089279136376843030473384070.jpg
    795.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 16956089826132715877927861700292.jpg
    16956089826132715877927861700292.jpg
    799.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 16956091916411101637011537068083.jpg
    16956091916411101637011537068083.jpg
    806.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 16956092772799052220356645650956.jpg
    16956092772799052220356645650956.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 2
  • 16956105527518985446464041219762.jpg
    16956105527518985446464041219762.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 4
Needing to start gen in snow inside van?
Do you have the generator functioning now?
Extending wires for the ‘keyswitch’ is relatively simple. Auto-choke and/or fuel petcock shutoff is not necessarily so simple. Perhaps a different generator is in order?
on a broke budget
I want a Delta 2 pro 3.6KWh
Those two statements are in conflict with each other imho…

Make a solid system that works and give it built in redundancy (easy) and you can have that kWh and more with a lot smaller outlay of cash.
Ordered: should have these in 3 weeks
1) 2 x 300w Solar Panels
I’d cancel that and order rigid traditional commodity panels. Better service life reputation on rigid panels.
Plus I think you need way more solar to do what you described. 100-200W of panels per 100Ah of batteries (at 12V) is a reasonable wildhat guess.
4) 400w cont MSW inverter & 70 agm ( cabin lights, 5 & 12v fans, USB strips, device charging)
5) 5k BTU window AC
6) 2 x 250w 12v space heaters
7) 400w 120v space heater
2 kw cont MSW Inverter
You don’t want ANY modified sine wave inverters! Only pure sine wave. MSW will cost you burning up equipment in my experience. And a 12V fridge is ridiculously expensive compared to a 120VAC ~7CF real fridge - buy a decent inverter and save yourself the headache, wiring cost, and complexity.

And while I’m a huge advocate of 12V systems if they are small like yours (and mine) skip those 12V heaters. People argue it’s “more efficient” to not run things through an inverter. With the math it is more efficient; in practice, whatever efficiency you “lose” is in heat!! so if your conversion makes heat it’s not actually a loss, is it?
5pcs DC-DC Voltage Boost modules ( as regulators between solar panel & charge controller as well as battery & ATS )?
these will gain you nothing that I can think of. What is your purpose?

6/4 SOOW residential circuit wire for battery connections
That ain’t gonna do for your inverter loads

I’d start by drawing out your devices like the hottplate and cell chargers and figure out how they need to be laid out.
You have a lot of stuff listed that serve either a narrow purpose or are replicating abilities less expensively achieved otherwise.

Not trying to be obnoxious but I live full time in a primarily stationary RV. Over four years running
My system makes coffee, keeps the fridge going, runs a tablesaw and utilizes as much 12V as possible and yet is way less complex while still being quite useful and dependable.

My opinion is that you need to rethink a lot of things. It will both save you money and give you a better operating power system while not having so many vampire loads.

Reactions: Mia
Thanks 4 reply.

I'm new to this stuff and $$$ are a key factor why inverters are MSW, but they have been running my 120v (110v) Appliances & main charging has been through alternator idling & driving.

As for wanting a Delta 2 pro... yep $$$'s conflict, but at least finishing setup WITH THE MSW INVERTERS is key.

Then saving for the PSW INVERTER & DELTA ARE NEXT.

I do believe I'll be going to a mpp solar all in one of similar hybrid that PSW, solar controller & grid tie in. I've seen a few pricey ones but MPP solar has a newbie friendly all n 1 that can be paralleled so I'm staying to research that.

The generator choke can be handled with a push/pull lever switch... easy peasy, I've found a auto start control panel, hourly it has a programmable voltage turn on setting ( researching)...

The 6/4 SOOW is above residential grade for my AC wattage lines... look at the ATS pic of this post. The 6/4 SOOW IS NOT FOR THE BATTERY OR INVERTER + / - connections, but rather the 3 L / N / G inputs on the ATS...

WILL PROSWE video show a really simple setup of the new release of the model I bought.

Leaving out the 5 DC DC boost modules, but maybe adding another high amp/watt boost on the output of solar controller to battery banks to shorten charge time.

Also adding a 2nd charge controller from alternator acting as a DC DC charger to 2nd bank & the isolated equipment batteries. Mini fridge on separate inverter & battery, same for small electronics, (lights, PC etc)

Yeah the setup is weird. Clumsy. Obnoxiously redundant, only slightly efficient, but price per KW is great considering $$$ spent & OUTPUT.

My main concern & need pertaining to posting on this site is to make sure that I can wire my cheappo components SAFELY, PROPERLY & WITHOUT CAUSING HEALTH HAZARDS...

MAN I'M TRYING TO SURVIVE STARTING FT CAMPERVAN'ING WITH WINTER COMING ON A VERY LOW MONTHLY INCOME.

All REAL instructions or suggestions AGAIN are APPRECIATED.

All REAL instructions or suggestions AGAIN are APPRECIATED
Ok. I’ve been offgrid in a primarily stationary rv almost five years now, and I’ve been doing 12V boat stuff, sonar etc.; and wiring RV’s and vehicles for most of my life.

So I just am saying what I know will work for you.

Oh, and fwiw that delta is not your best spend to be dependable and have sufficient power at the cost of them compared to just making a good system that will support you.

@ 12voltinstalls

Bruh please just reply with wiring suggestions, instructions ect.

As stated, I'm on a limited VERY limited budget and the picd equipment plus a 3.56kw 4s4p lipoe4 bank are my primary install items powering a 2kw continuous MSW inverter and the briidea 50a AC ATS.

I need a walkthrough for the wiring of the generator auto start panel I want to add, knowing a push pull rod to the generator choke ( cutting hole thru back door of van ) can work, but making sure I can get my high amp alternator to feed charging amps through the 100A solar charge controller.

Maybe you know of some video tutorials for alternator to lipo bank charging and AUTO TRANSFER SWITCH WIRING.

THNAKS

need a walkthrough for the wiring of the generator auto start panel I want to add, knowing a push pull rod to the generator choke ( cutting hole thru back door of van ) can work, but making sure I can get my high amp alternator to feed charging amps through the 100A solar charge controller.

Maybe you know of some video tutorials for alternator to lipo bank charging and AUTO TRANSFER SWITCH WIRING
I’m not prepared to do that. I could, sure, but me? I’d have a lot less parts, an AIO (which has a transfer switch), and a simple DC2DC charger to handle all that. (One of the very few renorgy things that people post positive about is their inexpensive DC2DC charger)

I don’t really want to take the time to think about it and draw it all out when I’d never have all those parts in a small system nor- as a Vermonter- be overly concerned about snow.
It’s not going to be a surprise if the batteries are going dead. Or shouldn’t be.

Then PLEASE... for the love of GOD! STOP replying so someone with a decent prospect on my dilemma can!

Dude I'm homeless, sitting in a van trying to wrap my head around some decent equipment to do what I need... SURVIVE with adequate power for cold weather RV'ing while trying to get my life back together, get legal help about my paternity issues and just be.

Thanks for your inputs this far. NO FURTHER COMMENTS NEEDED. Be okay with that. Peace! ✌️

for the love of GOD! STOP replying so someone with a decent prospect on my dilemma can
There’s plenty of smarter folks than me here. Why they haven’t replied is up to them. I’m not that powerful - I cannot stop anyone from posting. I wish they would.
I'm homeless, sitting in a van trying to wrap my head around some decent equipment to do what I need... SURVIVE with adequate power for cold weather RV'ing while trying to get my life back together, get legal help about my paternity issues and just be.
I’ve been in your shoes.
It’s tough but doable.

My first foray into RV residency began as a result of a divorce like 25 years ago as I found myself with no place to live; I could have either paid a months rent and delayed the inevitable for two months; OR spend the same cash on a camper and stick it someplace while I figured out how to deal with sudden expenses like child support etc on the income I was earning. That was when solar wasn’t a commodity.

So STOP spending money on stuff, define your goals, and post that here so people can offer advice.
I’m not being mean, but you posted a LOT of stuff you bought willy-nilly and are asking people to make it work. For free.
Plenty of folks can help your plan transpire and put you in a better position.

But first you need to simplify and make it work for your needs and then scale up as necessary. That’s what I did ~ five years ago or so. Granted, I used “my own” cognitive abilities and research tenacity to select a basic 200W starter system, and then later discovered this resource on this site (among a few other sites). But not everyone has my particular experience and skillset.

So in your situation : the purpose of this site is DIY but there’s some incredibly skilled and knowledgeable folks here.

My advice to you is to slow down, stop spending money, figure out a system that works, get confirmations here, and I hope for you better days and a successful experience getting through the winter months. God bless you and I hope for better days ahead and soon. In the darkest hours there are blessings every day.

Please don’t spend all your money on things that could or might work: step back, spend where it’s needed, and hold back some money in reserve for adjustments or emergencies. Nothing lasts forever.

One thing that I’ll add, and not in judgment, or any bad thoughts, or mean feelings, or anything like that. This is probably already occurred to you; maybe it would be good for affirmation or maybe you do need to think it over some. When we have these situations, sometimes it’s hard to think practically. There’s so much going on.

In roughly 1999, 2000 somewhere in there, I had to grab myself by the shoulders, and give myself a good shake. I sat there and decided that my number one priority was my job. The kids were more important on the grand scale, but I needed to ensure my continuity. So I picked a camper that I bought for what it would’ve cost me for the first months rent, which was about 800 bucks if I remember. Because the job required me to have a place to sleep, a place to rest, a place to shower every day, and a place that was static; not changing constantly or insecure. And at the time between child support, and other factors, I couldn’t afford rent, so I made it work over time. Eventually, I got custody of both of my kids. And just did what was necessary. Of course they’re grown now and I have grandkids, but my point is what you’re doing is a good thing to ensure continuity. That is your most important goal – everything else like kids or whatever are more important as far as priorities, but you can’t take care of those things if you don’t have a life, security in your job, and some place to call home that’s warm and dry, and can maintain your hygiene. So I applaud you, but step back, and let a good plan get formulated , which in the end will be faster and much less stressful than spending on money with things that may or may not work. With the right planning you can do it. God bless.

I’m not prepared to do that. I could, sure, but me? I’d have a lot less parts, an AIO (which has a transfer switch), and a simple DC2DC charger to handle all that. (One of the very few renorgy things that people post positive about is their inexpensive DC2DC charger)

I don’t really want to take the time to think about it and draw it all out when I’d never have all those parts in a small system nor- as a Vermonter- be overly concerned about snow.
It’s not going to be a surprise if the batteries are going dead. Or shouldn’t be.
Edit/Deleted…responded to wrong person/post

Last edited:
Also, you need to look at your solar charge controller details to see if it can handle the watts and voltage of the solar panels for the system voltage you’re planning on (12 v, 24v, etc etc) as it can vary…

you are trying to re-invent something that already exists
and my head hurt just trying to make sense out of what you are thinking of putting together

you got some good advice slow down and start looking at what is already being done.

why in the world so many inverters? each of the consuming their own overhead
Automatic generator starting?
Heating = propane or move to warmer climate

are you planning to swap your camper for a semi trailer?

Find a plan for a camper ... modify it slightly to make adjustments to suit you requirements.

some solar on the roof + a ground array + small generator + decent battery
then learn to live with your available power.

PS ... how many trips to southern Texas could you do for all the stuff you want to buy?
and Florida is FULL.

Thanks 4 reply.

I'm new to this stuff and $$$ are a key factor why inverters are MSW, but they have been running my 120v (110v) Appliances & main charging has been through alternator idling & driving.

As for wanting a Delta 2 pro... yep $$$'s conflict, but at least finishing setup WITH THE MSW INVERTERS is key.

Then saving for the PSW INVERTER & DELTA ARE NEXT.

I do believe I'll be going to a mpp solar all in one of similar hybrid that PSW, solar controller & grid tie in. I've seen a few pricey ones but MPP solar has a newbie friendly all n 1 that can be paralleled so I'm staying to research that.

The generator choke can be handled with a push/pull lever switch... easy peasy, I've found a auto start control panel, hourly it has a programmable voltage turn on setting ( researching)...

The 6/4 SOOW is above residential grade for my AC wattage lines... look at the ATS pic of this post. The 6/4 SOOW IS NOT FOR THE BATTERY OR INVERTER + / - connections, but rather the 3 L / N / G inputs on the ATS...

WILL PROSWE video show a really simple setup of the new release of the model I bought.

Leaving out the 5 DC DC boost modules, but maybe adding another high amp/watt boost on the output of solar controller to battery banks to shorten charge time.

Also adding a 2nd charge controller from alternator acting as a DC DC charger to 2nd bank & the isolated equipment batteries. Mini fridge on separate inverter & battery, same for small electronics, (lights, PC etc)

Yeah the setup is weird. Clumsy. Obnoxiously redundant, only slightly efficient, but price per KW is great considering $$$ spent & OUTPUT.

My main concern & need pertaining to posting on this site is to make sure that I can wire my cheappo components SAFELY, PROPERLY & WITHOUT CAUSING HEALTH HAZARDS...

MAN I'M TRYING TO SURVIVE STARTING FT CAMPERVAN'ING WITH WINTER COMING ON A VERY LOW MONTHLY INCOME.

All REAL instructions or suggestions AGAIN are APPRECIATED.
Dude/bruh , just curious, are ya working right now? If so, that’s a plus! If not, then I’m confident you could probably find employment, and hence, a decent paycheck, to help you dig out of the hole you’re seemingly in at the current moment.… but, it is also one of the best times to find jobs, ever… and that’s from one that’s been around now for over almost 6 decades of life!

And, as has been wisely recommended, please keep an open mind and think about multiple options regarding a possible setup… as maybe you can save some of that precious limited money in the long run as well.

Best of luck to you!

Back