diy solar

diy solar

RV Solar Setup Doesn't Charge > 13.1V, Nor Charges Under Load

t1m

Recently my motorhome's Lifepo4 battery doesn't get charged via solar past 13.1v. Normally it's fully charged at 13.35v. Under load the Epsolar (Epever) Tracer doesn't charge either. Even though I put a load of 14 amps on it. I see there's no charge load on the BM-1 battery monitor and the MT50 monitor from the MPPT charger.

Measuring the MPPT in and out ports with a multimeter shows that the solar panels do provide approx. 13.7v (as is float voltage set in the Tracer). The voltage going out of the Tracer MPPT is 13.1.

Does this mean that the MPPT is the culprit and it simply doesn't put out more than 13.1v anymore or can it also be something with the shunt, the battery itself, or something else?

I checked for corroded connections etc on the shunt but all seems okay. If someone could please help me find out what's going on, would really appreciate it.

How old is your battery setup?

What was your bulk voltage?

What is the battery voltage when disconnected?

Do you have access to the Battery Cells or BMS?

multimeter shows that the solar panels do provide approx. 13.7v
Thus seems a repeat of a post discussed at length, is this a further request for advice?

If this is at the solar controler input, 13.7 volts, does the panel volts change disconnected from the controler?
Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting the panels helps the Epever recover from a error. It's a well known fault where the Epever 'gets lost' in its search for maximum power.

If when you measure the panel voltage disconnected from the controller, and you see the expected voltage, 20 volts and over, ( actual volts will depend on panels and how they are connected, series or parallel).
Idealy you need to measure the panel voltage, Voc, and panel current Isc, to confirm your panels and wiring/connections are working as expected.
To confirm the battery is OK test that it will power loads and accept charge from other chargers than the solar controller.

Mike

Last edited:
Back