diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller LCD displays “load on” icon and batteries seem to be draining but no load is connected.

Twilightbone

Hi!
Thanks to all of you for helping me solve the controller not charging issue. Yesterday I found out the problem charging my two 12v 250ah lead acid batteries was due to wrong wire connection from my PV panels not my 40A Hqst Mppt Solar controller (same as Epever Tracer AN 40). The batteries were eventually charged fully and the battery icons in both, the controller and the 3,000watt Edecoa Inverter LCD show full charge status; that is about five bars in each. However, even though I was not running the system yesterday night and no loads were connected to the controller, the battery icon in the controller lost 3 bars. The battery charge icon in the inverter remained the same. I also noticed that although no load was connected, the LCD of the controller displayed an arrow running from the battery icon to the load icon and the bulb icon shown was the “load on” icon as per the user manual highlighted here in yellow . I guess this might be draining my batteries at night. What can I do to fix this? Thanks in advance for your kind assistance. I’m attaching some photos with this post.

Attachments

• DC02EE68-4511-468D-B9FF-EBF21B7DC170.jpeg
    DC02EE68-4511-468D-B9FF-EBF21B7DC170.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 6
The state of charge indicator is not accurate. It's just based on voltage, under charge the battery volts will rise to around 14.4 volts, this will give you maxinum reading, 5 bars. Over night the battery volts will fall, as the surface charge is disipated even if disconnected fron a load, to around 12.8 volts
The battery volts could also fall further if standby power is taken by the inverter. (if its on, no load consumption is 10 watts)

Is the inverter connected to the load output of the controller? And it is switched on?

Back