diy solar

diy solar

Ryobi 18v bad BMS?

kaizday

So i have an 18v ryobi battery that wont charge. While there is no voltage reading at the terminals (.4ish volt), reading directly from the battery shows 18ish volts. All individual battery also reads 3.7ish.

Does that mean my BMS have gone bad? Anything i can do?

Edit: pics attached

Thankz

Attachments

• 20210527_155057.jpg
    20210527_155057.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210527_155141.jpg
    20210527_155141.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It is probably the BMS, in addition, tool battery packs often have logic that shuts them down "permanently" if the detect something wrong.
Its a feature...a feature to get you to go by another battery pack hehe

you can go let your battery pack sit inside the fridge (not freezer) for 24-48hrs, then let it come to room temperature.
Cross your fingers, test the output voltage see what you see, try and plunk it back in the charger and if nothing happens, well, teardown time you probably have a bunch of perfectly good 18650 cells hehe.

The voltage may be too low for the BMS to allow charging. Or possibly your charger does not detect a battery within its range.

Common issue with these is that they discharge lower than the threshold on the BMS so you have to charge them up for the BMS to allow charging. Loads of youtube videos on this...

Do not know if that is your issue or not.

It is probably the BMS, in addition, tool battery packs often have logic that shuts them down "permanently" if the detect something wrong.

you can go let your battery pack sit inside the fridge (not freezer) for 24-48hrs, then let it come to room temperature.
Cross your fingers, test the output voltage see what you see, try and plunk it back in the charger and if nothing happens, well, teardown time you probably have a bunch of perfectly good 18650 cells hehe.
Thanks. I will try this next. Never heard of this method except in Will's review videos when he tested the temp sensor lol

You guys are geniuses. I left the battery in the fridge over night (a bit impatient, i know lol), then waited until it reached the room temperature like u said, and now, it is being charged like a brand new bms lol

Thanks again for ur help.

Back