diy solar

diy solar

Ryobi RY48ZTR100 Replacement Batteries

tomtcs

I'm looking for some help. I have a Ryobi Zero Turn RY48ZTR100 that is in need of replacement batteries. The easiest solution would be to simply replace the batteries with the generic SLA batteries and most likely have to replace them again next year when they go bad ... again. At an $800 yearly maintenance cost, I figured the better solution would be to outright replace the whole battery system and move to LIFEPO4 batteries. My understanding (which isn't all that much) from another thread here is that I would need to replace the charger, charging system, battery management system (I think that's what BMS stands for), and replace the battery runtime meter since SLA drops in voltage whereby the LIFEPO4's don't.
Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I'd need a bit of handholding and spelling out as to how to get this working if replacing the SLAs for LIFEPO4 batteries makes the most sense as I've never worked with a BMS and balancing of a battery system before. I'm an IT geek by profession and a certified electrician by hobby, so I can probably figure it out with some help, just don't really know where to start.

Those ExpertPower batteries look pretty expensive. Is there a reason you like them over some cheaper brands like Chins or AmpereTime?

Warranty does look good, I realize. Any other reasons?

I'm currently looking at purchasing 4 of these: https://www.expertpower.us/products/12v-100ah-lifepo4-ep12100-pro. Expert Power has been pretty good to me in the past for my battery needs and these have a 10-year warranty on them. So it may be worth the pretty hefty price tag if I can keep the mower running that long without issues.
Did you do this and did it work well? I have the same Ryobi model and haven't been able to confirm the max discharge current it needs. The SLA batteries for it are rated at 900A peak for 5s, which is way higher than any of the LiFePO4 12v 100Ah drop-in replacements I've seen. I have a 10 acre yard and use a 72" Scag for the nasty stuff, but the RY48ZTR100 is much more pleasant for cutting the few acres nearest the house; still, my lawn is more of a low-cut field than regular lawn grass, and the Ryobi deals with that surprisingly well, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm often running close to the max draw when cutting tall weeds. BTW, mine is 3 years old and cuts about 1/2 acre per charge with the original batteries, whereas it did more like 1 1/2 acres when new.

Back