diy solar

diy solar

Safe to connect solar panel wires to panels, but not charger during build?

johnny5

Maybe a dumb question, but given I don't know much about solar, and there seems to be a ton of little nuisances, better safe to ask... I am almost done mounting my solar panels to the roof of my van. I have routed my solar panel cables through the roof and have not connected them to the panel yet, but need to make the connection before I finalize the solar panel to roof installation. However, I wasn't sure if it is safe to leave the cables connected to the solar panels until I am ready to hook them up to the charger. Maybe it's not safe or not good for the panels to be collecting energy from the sun and the other end not connected to a charger or anything, I don't know, but figured I'd ask you guys before potentially making a mistake.

It’s fine to have the panels wired up, they do not harvest anything on their own. But be VERY careful, when the panels are in the sun, the wires are energised and there is an electrocution hazard. Put a blanket over the panels or work at night.

Test the wires for power as you would always do before working on potentially energised wires.

It’s fine to have the panels wired up, they do not harvest anything on their own. But be VERY careful, when the panels are in the sun, the wires are energised and there is an electrocution hazard. Put a blanket over the panels or work at night.

Test the wires for power as you would always do before working on potentially energised wires.
Thanks. This is pretty much what I assumed, but wanted to make sure there was no additional potential to harm the panels. I've taped the wire ends so that should be reasonably safe while parked in my garage.

Maybe a dumb question, but given I don't know much about solar, and there seems to be a ton of little nuisances, better safe to ask... I am almost done mounting my solar panels to the roof of my van. I have routed my solar panel cables through the roof and have not connected them to the panel yet, but need to make the connection before I finalize the solar panel to roof installation. However, I wasn't sure if it is safe to leave the cables connected to the solar panels until I am ready to hook them up to the charger. Maybe it's not safe or not good for the panels to be collecting energy from the sun and the other end not connected to a charger or anything, I don't know, but figured I'd ask you guys before potentially making a mistake.
My suggestion is connect them when you are ready to hook to the charge controller (when there is no sun (early AM)). This is for your Safety.
Make sure you know the sequence of connecting solar system components.

What is the sequence of connecting the solar components? Unfortunately I am mounting the solar panels now, can't really wait any longer, and the connections are underneath the panels. But as far as connecting them to the charger goes, I can certainly do that in the am, or just in the garage.

For a traditional panel setup - there should be a 'quick disconnect' near the panels. In my case, its a Midnite Solar combiner box (with circuit breakers from each string) + quick disconnect handle on the outside that turns off the circuit breakers all at once. What I'm saying is - one technique is to wire the panels to the quick disconnect/combiner box - and leave the quick disconnect off until you're ready to wire from the quick disconnect to the charge controller(s).

Last edited:
For a traditional panel setup - there should be a 'quick disconnect' near the panels. In my case, its a Midnite Solar combiner box (with circuit breakers from each string) + quick disconnect handle on the outside that turns off the circuit breakers all at once. What I'm saying is - one technique is to wire the panels to the quick disconnect/combiner box - and leave the quick disconnect off until you're ready to wire from the quick disconnect to the charge controller(s).
For a small system a breaker was easy and serves as both disconnect and fuse.

What is the sequence of connecting the solar components? Unfortunately I am mounting the solar panels now, can't really wait any longer, and the connections are underneath the panels. But as far as connecting them to the charger goes, I can certainly do that in the am, or just in the garage.
I don't know how big your system is. If you set your panels either in series or parallels, make sure you have proper fuse for panels. Traditional sequence: Solar panels - combiner- disconnect cables-charge controller-fuse-battery bank-fuse-inverter-load. To power up the system, first connecting the battery to charge controller (prior to connecting panels to charge controller). This will prep the charge controller if charge controller needs firmware update or preliminary charge controller setting update. Once this step is complete, then you can connect the panels wires to charge controller. Again wire size and distance is critical as well.

Back