diy solar

diy solar

Safe Voltage?

felixdennis

Hi,

I'm setting up a solar generator 24v system with MPPT controler that takes up to 140v.

I have four 290W panel each max 32v.

What is the safe voltage to use? Should I do 32v x 4 in series to get 128v or do 64v with parallel?

It all depends on your Solar Controller and the ratings / capacities it has. Some SCC Manufacturers have tools to figure out optimal panel configurations, others do not. To get a better answer, please provide links to the SCC and even the docs if possible. Same for the solar panels, the data panel on the back is very important.

It may not be practical here but I have 2x 130w panels on the roof of my offroad vehicle coupled to a Victron MPPT SCC feeding a 105Ah aux battery. I wired a change over switch in at the panels so as to select between a serial and parallel combination. In low light conditions I find that a higher o/p voltage ( i.e. series connection ) benefits the system and at the charge controller the higher voltage translates into more current flowing into the battery. One caveat though - the SCC specs must allow for this. Any comments Steve_S ?

It may not be practical here but I have 2x 130w panels on the roof of my offroad vehicle coupled to a Victron MPPT SCC feeding a 105Ah aux battery. I wired a change over switch in at the panels so as to select between a serial and parallel combination. In low light conditions I find that a higher o/p voltage ( i.e. series connection ) benefits the system and at the charge controller the higher voltage translates into more current flowing into the battery. One caveat though - the SCC specs must allow for this. Any comments Steve_S ?
I can see that working fine IF either method ensures that volts, watts & amps from the solar panels fall within the SCC specifications and limits. If not and one day you forget to flip the switch, well... it likely wouldn't be pleasant.

Back