diy solar

diy solar

Safety check

moonlitsouls

Hey everyone, this compartment used to have a plastic box in it which was supposed to be held specifically for the battery but it took up more space and there was space outside of the box under the basement of the camper, I ripped out the box and I have been able to package my multi plus, my battery, and my DC DC charger in here. My question is, can I sandwich them in together like this? Metal is touching metal, the metal from the DC DC charger is touching the multiplus, and I’m not sure if this is a frankly. I’ve read all the manuals and it doesn’t say anywhere at any of these devices that you can’t mount them to a metal surface so what do you think? Also, the edge of the multiplus needs to lay on the edge of the frame, I also plan on grounding the device here to the frame, is that a problem?

06DBBEA7-9B71-4F6C-95AA-3A662AEBD6B8.jpegEA2B1FBE-2749-4105-A2AE-4B8378C585F4.jpeg486B7C00-3863-4CD3-96C9-B75A8849DAEB.jpegAB8A651A-C006-45D3-B98D-64C19468C68D.jpeg

Multiplus requires 4" of clearance all around.

Cringing at the proximity of the charger's (-) to the Al frame.

Thanks

Two specific questions

4 inches aside is it a safety hazard for the metal of the dc-dc charger to be touching the multiplus

Is it a safety hazard for the multiplus to rest on the edge of the frame

This doesn't look great to me. The clearance suggested by the manufacturer is higher than 0. At the very least get a few pieces of a non-conductive material to place in the middle of them.

OK thanks for the reply so so far I just want to clarify that there is absolutely no other option to install this equipment in this vehicle aside from what you see here So I appreciate the input and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you so much

This doesn't look great to me. The clearance suggested by the manufacturer is higher than 0. At the very least get a few pieces of a non-conductive material to place in the middle of them.
OK I can definitely get some really thin pieces of plywood or something to put in between them, is it OK for me to ground in multiplus directly to the frame on the edge there? Thanks

How are you going to fasten it all down so it doesn't bounce around going down the road?

Also, that is going to generate a lot of heat in that small space. That is not safe, either.

OK I can definitely get some really thin pieces of plywood or something to put in between them, is it OK for me to ground in multiplus directly to the frame on the edge there? Thanks
I mean, unless you are driving a ground stake it's not a true ground - that being said a lot of people ground to the chassis of they mobile vehicle.

200lbs of gear in a 100lbs box. I wouldn't do it.

personally, that looks like the space for the batteries alone and some other storage. I dont know how much heat the DC-DC gives off but the multiplus will heat that compartment (and battery) up pretty good if your ever doing any hard charging.

OK thanks for the reply so so far I just want to clarify that there is absolutely no other option to install this equipment in this vehicle aside from what you see here So I appreciate the input and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you so much

Wild Wild West install. Too tight, too many wires crossing.

Always options like getting a differnt size tank or cutting a bigger hole in the plywood above it. Will the charger fit over the tank?

Outside hatches are cooking hot in the sun. That's where the Multi is pulling the cooling from and Multis de-rate when it overheats.

Why are you grounding with 4/0?

What kind of crimper did you use?

I'm in the middle of installing a Multiplus 12/3000/120. @sunshine_eggo is correct that 4" (10 cm in the manual, but close enough) of clearance is required. Mine is mounted on a wall in a closet with plenty of space on both sides to ensure that items in the closet can't block the output vents of the Multiplus. There is also plenty of space above and below the Multiplus. I'll be monitoring the temperature in the space. I can open the closet door to provide some relief. I've been looking at powered fans to vent the closet based on temperature range.

I helped a friend install a Multiplus II 12/3000 a few months ago. He has it installed in the basement pass-through compartment of his fifth wheel. He said the Multiplus alone was keeping that compartment warm.

Unless you have significant powered venting of that space, I think you're going to overheat the Multiplus.

Always options like getting a differnt size tank or cutting a bigger hole in the plywood above it. Will the charger fit over the tank?

Outside hatches are cooking hot in the sun. That's where the Multi is pulling the cooling from and Multis de-rate when it overheats.

I
How are you going to fasten it all down so it doesn't bounce around going down the road?

Also, that is going to generate a lot of heat in that small space. That is not safe, either.
Going to use some wooden blocks to secure it all by wedging it together

From what I saw, the grounding cable needs to be no more than one size smaller than the main cable used and I had extra 4/0 so I used it. Crimps are fine

200lbs of gear in a 100lbs box. I wouldn't do it.

personally, that looks like the space for the batteries alone and some other storage. I dont know how much heat the DC-DC gives off but the multiplus will heat that compartment (and battery) up pretty good if your ever doing any hard charging.
Well right now it’s 20 degrees so that’s the least of my concern

Thanks for all the replies. Everything is working great.

Now that I have 4/0 on multi and battery I’m able to run my microwave and my ac with ease

Dc-dc charging more efficiently due to improved connections

Solar pulling 30a even in the dead of winter
Dc pulling 50a while driving
Multiplus charging at 100a whenever needed

I appreciate the safety concerns, I live in this vehicle full-time and it’s 20° out, I need everything working properly I need to be able to charge my batteries quickly and efficiently. Springtime I can revisit reorganizing as the weather warms up, right now I’m in survival mode and frankly I just need all of this working properly and I needed to make sure that I’m gonna start a fire

As long as it’s technically doable , I’m good with it for now

I'd put a remote thermometer in that cabinet and monitor how warm it's getting in use. You should also get one of the victron monitoring options so you can track the actual temperature of inverter.

As long as it doesn't short, the risk of fire is low, but the risk of premature failure to the gear is very high. Those charger connections look like a short circuit waiting to happen. I assume you made your own battery pack, and that's why it's in the plastic box. Can you stick the charger on top of that box? At least it would help cut down on the risk of shorting against the frame of the chassis.

Most inverters will derate their output as they get hotter, so it's going to impact performance.
Heat will kill your electronics and batteries, which is one of the reasons for the 4" clearance requirements. They need air to circulate and that is going to be hard to do in a tight cabinet with a lot of restriction.

You bought nice gear, and you need to treat it right to keep it working.

Back