diy solar

diy solar

Safety Shut Off Switch?

waktaylor

I'm using 2 safety kill switch boxes for my off grid hybrid system. What do yous guys and gals do in case of emergency? I'm a friend to fire fighters so I wanted to give them clear shutoffs.

DC shut off at my PV pergola array
Screenshot_20200529-112119_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20200529-122208_eBay.jpg

AC shut off is side of house for between the inverter and breaker box.

Screenshot_20200529-112254_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
In my jurisdiction there is a Rapid Shut Down requirement that is not met by a simple DC disconnect.

That's good info. My system is off grid, but maybe I should look into automatic rapid shut down too.

I'm slightly less concerned about automatic shut down on the DC since my array will be 15 feet away from my house on a Pergola.

That's good info. My system is off grid, but maybe I should look into automatic rapid shut down too.
It is a building code requirement not a power company requirement. Presumably there is a building code in your jurisdiction. It is designed to protect firefighters from high voltages that can persist in solar wiring even when the DC disconnect is turned off. As a test put a voltmeter across an unloaded panel and measure the volts. Put four or six of those in series and you have enough of a shock to knock a firefighter off a roof. The volts won't kill him but the fall might.

I see in the code that ground mounted (gonna assume an unattached pergola fits this description) excluded and I'm not sure why a disconnect such as this would not be sufficient. Does your locality want automatic shut down?

So the code also requires the panel area to drop below 80 volts which I won't be able to meet but also don't care to meet since the panels are not on my house.

It is a building code requirement not a power...

Last edited:
Back