diy solar

diy solar

Safety tips for me (newbie)

Maggie Belle

I am installing a 12v power system in my van with two 100ah lifepo, dc to dc, 1500w inverter etc. I think I understand safety but any tips would be appreciated as I just watched a video that shook my confidence.

I am installing a 12v power system in my van with two 100ah lifepo, dc to dc, 1500w inverter etc. I think I understand safety but any tips would be appreciated as I just watched a video that shook my confidence.
Please link the video.
Wear safety glasses when working on/around the battery.
Over-current protection is essential.

Basic electric safety:
Don't work with line voltages (above 48 volts) ALONE. The other person can get help if you are incapacitated (heart stopped).
Assume circuits are live until you measure them with a meter.
When working with live line voltages use only one hand at a time (shocks between 2 hands are most deadly and can stop your heart).
Remove rings and jewelry that can conduct electricity.
Water and electricity don't mix. Wear rubber sole shoes and make sure floor is dry.
Low voltage <48volts high current >10a sources are primarily a burn, blast and fire hazard. Have a fire extinguisher and eye protection.
Get a decent multimeter and learn how to use it.

Father was an electrician...

Last edited:
I wear rubber-ish gloves when I work around my 12v circuits. It's usually a Nitrile glove.

Tools that are wrapped in tape are safer than non-wrapped tools.

Thanks, everyone. I know it's a small system as systems go but it's my first time and I got a little nervous today. I realized I ordered the wrong wire size for a couple things and now I wait for the right size.

Welcome Maggie I'm new too and doing a similar project. Good luck with yours.

As requested by Smoothjoey can you post the link to what spooked you.

Precharging an inverter

Please link the video.
Wear safety glasses when working on/around the battery.
Over-current protection is essential.
I didn't see this request to link video. I have watched many of his videos. He has built two vans. This was his first. His second power video doesn't start off like this, but I think I was already nervous and the "don't do this yourself declaration" threw me off. I really want to learn these new skills and don't want to farm it out. It's just a small 12 v system and I think I can do it. Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I'm feeling better about it! Batteries are secured, just waiting for my 2/0 wire. This is the video that spooked me
"you should not be doing your own system."

Looking at it now I realize I need to stick to my more reliable sources.

This is his newer video that didn't come off like that

One more thing, do all the wiring for your lights and switches and loads and such BEFORE you connect up your batteries. No sense having power pumping into your system while you're stripping and dropping and pulling and crimping the wire.

I think I understand safety but any tips would be appreciated as I just watched a video that shook my confidence.
I don’t think it shook your confidence- it educated you to stuff you didn’t know so now you know enough to know (some) of what you don’t know.

That’s not an obstacle, that’s a critical step forward and shows you have the character qualities to learn the unknown.

I didn't see this request to link video. I have watched many of his videos. He has built two vans. This was his first. His second power video doesn't start off like this, but I think I was already nervous and the "don't do this yourself declaration" threw me off. I really want to learn these new skills and don't want to farm it out. It's just a small 12 v system and I think I can do it. Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I'm feeling better about it! Batteries are secured, just waiting for my 2/0 wire. This is the video that spooked me
"you should not be doing your own system."

Looking at it now I realize I need to stick to my more reliable sources.
Ok I see why he is giving the warning as he is incorporating a 120v system but he doesn‘t mention that at the beginning. But also he said he dropped a cable whilst connecting it. You are only doing 12 volt work and yes batteries do contain a lot of power that can cause you injuries but no more than many other things you deal with in daily life if precautions are not taken. Simply cover the other terminals so that none are exposed when making the connections. Remember Will and many others put their videos up so that we are all able to learn. They are simply passing on their skills and knowledge to enable us to do these projects.

You have taken a massive first step so believe in yourself because you are able to do it and when u have finished you will look back and wonder what you were worried about.

That aside, there may be aspects of the videos that provide you with some of the information that you need but you will need to filter out what is not applicable. Search through Will’s videos as he has some great ones on basic information to help you but it sounds like you are almost finished. Actually I’m wondering whether you have stumbled upon this site without seeing any.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoj6RxIAQq8kmJme-5dnN0Q

This guy talkes fast but videos are packed with info search out all his others.

Good luck

By the way even though you have been advised to wear gloves when working on batteries, do not wear rings. Had a news report one time of a mechanic working on a car with a spanning in his hand. Whilst his hand provided protection to the spanner end from touching the other terminal the finger with his ring on that came into contact with the other terminal did not. :(

Tim

Last edited:
Ok I see why he is giving the warning as he is incorporating a 120v system but he doesn‘t mention that at the beginning. But also he said he dropped a cable whilst connecting it. You are only doing 12 volt work and yes batteries do contain a lot of power that can cause you injuries but no more than many other things you deal with in daily life if precautions are not taken. Simply cover the other terminals so that none are exposed when making the connections. Remember Will and many others put their videos up so that we are all able to learn. They are simply passing on their skills and knowledge to enable us to do these projects.

You have taken a massive first step so believe in yourself because you are able to do it and when u have finished you will look back and wonder what you were worried about.

That aside, there may be aspects of the videos that provide you with some of the information that you need but you will need to filter out what is not applicable. Search through Will’s videos as he has some great ones on basic information to help you but it sounds like you are almost finished. Actually I’m wondering whether you have stumbled upon this site without seeing any.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoj6RxIAQq8kmJme-5dnN0Q

This guy talkes fast but videos are packed with info search out all his others.

Good luck

By the way even though you have been advised to wear gloves when working on batteries, do not wear rings. Had a news report one time of a mechanic working on a car with a spanning in his hand. Whilst his hand provided protection to the spanner end from touching the other terminal the finger with his ring on that came into contact with the other terminal did not. :(

Tim
Tim - Thanks for this information. I am "almost" done but I say that hesitantly because I don't know what I don't know sometimes, and often in this process I think I'm almost done and then it turns out I'm not. I have seen many of Will's videos and ordered his book which actually helped me tremendously to finally understand. I don't like to just plug and play following someone else's map. I like to actually understand why and how things work. He helped me. I am definitely going to check out this video above. I have all my components placed but nothing wired yet.

Thanks for the great response :)

I don’t think it shook your confidence- it educated you to stuff you didn’t know so now you know enough to know (some) of what you don’t know.

That’s not an obstacle, that’s a critical step forward and shows you have the character qualities to learn the unknown.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I had watched other videos and read a lot and understand there are dangers and precautions that need to be taken, but the "don't do this yourself" declaration had me wondering if I was crazy to think I could learn this and do it myself. Enjoying the ride though and learning a new skill. This forum is great.

It is odd to me that there doesn’t appear to be a general safety resource for working with 12/24/48 volt systems. Or not one I could find.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I had watched other videos and read a lot and understand there are dangers and precautions that need to be taken, but the "don't do this yourself" declaration had me wondering if I was crazy to think I could learn this and do it myself. Enjoying the ride though and learning a new skill. This forum is great.
The last post alerted me back to this topic and just wondered how you went Maggie?

Tim

The last post alerted me back to this topic and just wondered how you went Maggie?

Tim
Thanks for asking! I was on the road and ended up with covid too. :) All went great and I feel so much more confident now. My system has been up and running and the initial setup went great.

diy solar

diy solar
Back