diy solar

diy solar

Samlex EVO 4248

Solarwanabe

Anyone have any feedback on the new Samlex EVO 4248 split phase inverter? I have an off-grid residential application with 2.1 kw of panels. This inverter is UL approved so it will pass inspection. My concern is that it appears to only be able to charge the batteries from AC OR invert power from the batteries. It cannot do both at once.

Anyone have any feedback on the new Samlex EVO 4248 split phase inverter? I have an off-grid residential application with 2.1 kw of panels. This inverter is UL approved so it will pass inspection. My concern is that it appears to only be able to charge the batteries from AC OR invert power from the batteries. It cannot do both at once.

My system uses the Samlex EVO-2224-Inverter-Charger. This is how I use it. I would assume the new Samlex EVO 4248 split phase inverter is the same or similar.

When the solar battery voltage gets low (to my programmed voltage) the Samlex EVO transfers to power my loads from the grid. Once the solar battery is charged up (to my programmed voltage) by the solar panels the Samlex EVO transfers to power my loads from the Inverter using my solar battery.

While using grid power to supply my loads (while solar panels are charging battery) I have the Samlex EVO-2224-Inverter-Charger programmed to just supply 1amp to charge the solar battery. That way the solar panels are used to charge the solar battery and the Samlex EVO-2224-Inverter-Charger only supplies a small trickle charge to the solar battery. I find the trickle charge useful because the solar system uses a small amount of power (inverter in idle, solar charge controllers, BMS(s) etc.) and this keeps the battery voltage from going to low during prolonged periods of cloudy days. Note that the Samlex EVO-2224-Inverter-Charger can supply up to 70 amps if necessary to charge the battery.

Most of the time the the Samlex EVO is in invert mode using the solar power along with the 13 Kwh of Lifepo4 cells, but during extended cloudy days especially in the winter the Samlex EVO will switch to grid.

Check out the link and download the manual for the Samlex EVO-RC-PLUS Remote Control. It is needed to program the Samlex EVO Inverter-Charger. Read over and study the manual carefully and you will see how to program it. It takes some time to study because it has a number of features. I have a lot of sticky notes to bookmark pages that I need because it is a very extensive and detailed manual.

If the Samlex EVO-Inverter-Charger works for you donrowe.com has good prices to purchase the unit. I have purchased a couple of inverters from them and have had no problems. They are also known for their support.

A little more about the Samlex EVO-2224-Inverter-Charger with built in transfer switch that is listed:
The frequency and phase of the internal backup Inverter Section are always kept synchronized with the AC input source. This facilitates “extremely fast” transfer time of up to 16 ms. Also, transfer from the Inverter Section to the AC input source and vice versa takes place at zero crossing of the voltage waveform – this ensures (i) negligible arcing / erosion of Transfer Relay contacts and (ii) negligible Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) associated with arcing.

This synchronized feature also helps the wear & tear on loads when the auto transfer switches from one AC source like the Grid/Generator to the Inverter/Charger and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

I've got the 2224, 4024 and just ordered the new 4248, which will be replacing the 4024. I've been waiting for Samlex to come out with a 48 volt model and a 120/240 split phase model, so it's exactly what I've been wanting for some time. Your post brought it to my attention, i wasn't aware it had come out, thanks.

As you say, my understanding is that when the unit is charging the batteries from the grid, it is not simultaneously inverting. The charger circuity is actually mostly the same components as the inverter circuitry so it's not possible, but I don't see how it matters. The only time the charger is running is when the batteries have hit their low voltage alarm level, then the charger kicks in and boosts them back up. The charger is separate from the solar power input, which lets you hook your charge controller up so that the inverter manages all the charging of the batteries. I don't do that, I have my two Midnite Classics hooked up to my lithium battery system, which feeds the inverter, and I let the charge controllers manage the charging of the batteries. The inverter only gets involved once in a while in the winter when the batteries get low, then it kicks in for an hour or two and charges them up above the cutoff voltage.

As you can tell, I really like the Samlex Evo units, they've been running flawlessly for a couple of years powering 3 freezers, power tools, grow lights and more, doing a great job.

I am also well impressed with Samlex’ attention to design detail. I’ve used a Samlex 24v 15a Battery Charger to drive a Sun Danzer chest freezer as a test and then into about 4yr of run (no batt yet). The freezer draws only 789 W-Hr per day and has performed well. It doesn’t put any big load on the Samlex, but it has also been solid as a rock.

Question for Bob:

With two possible chargers feeding one battery bank have you added diodes to keep the two chargers from fighting each other should they both come on at the same time … or are they built into the EV and MPPT?

Best regards,
B

One other EVO-4248SP question:

Has anyone powered the unit with a generator source (sine wave, not modified sine - as I have heard that MSW makes it difficult for a hybrid inverter to sync and if the inv design actually ‘parallels’ the InvGen and the MainInv the waveform differences can cause nasty currents to flow between the two that will shorten the life of both.)

All thoughts welcome!
B

I run a Samlex EVO 4024.
I have no Grid Power but the inverter comes with Dual VAC Input (Grid & genset) with a built-in Fast Response ATS, this is the same on the new version. Of course all very well documented, you have to wade through a heap of info ! It cannot be said they leave much unaddressed. Note that most folks do not realize that the Default Charge Rate is LOW ! The 24V model can do up to 100A.

Because I use a PURE SINE Inverter Genny (Champion 4650W) I have limited the Charge rate to 80A @ 24V which still allows for full Passthrough Power to house while the battery bank is charging.

CATCH ! At first I was FLA back in the day & used my Construction Generator which is Mod-Sine, the Inverter/Charger will NOT correct for it, what goes in is what comes out, this is quite noticeable on electrics & surge loads when a motor starts (fridge, well pump etc). It will also vary Frequency between 56Hz-64Hz and I can tell you "stuff don't like that at all" and you have to program the EVO to "tolerate" those limits otherwise it will cut off. If memory serves by default it is limited to 58Hz-62Hz. I've retired my Construction Genny from doing any such work quite a while back after I started implementing LFP Battery Packs. To put it nicely, it got gnarly.

Using an Inverter Generator that outputs PureSine made everything so much happier ! The digital clocks no longer Lose or Gain time (MSW at work with shifting Frequencies), the Charger actually runs a bit cooler and better (more efficiently). For 24V/80A, it is pulling 120V/23A from Genset.

I have done Full Inverter Charging WHILE getting full 79A on top from my Midnite Classic 200 with 159A hitting the battery bank (now at 1293AH). During my Thrash Tests, I had the Classic 200 pushing 79A, the Inverter-Charger pushing 80A + An external charger pushing 100A for a total of 259A to Bank. No issues to note other than the 4/0 wire got a "warm" but NOT HOT ! I use Roral Excelene Ultra-fine wire welding cable by Southwire.

Solar Controller attached to EVO NOTES:
I will be adding a 50A (Max Limit) SCC to the Inverter's SCC Port (May possibly use my Spare Midnite Kid for this) BUT this will also have a BREAKER between the Inverter & SCC, this IS Required as the EVO has no internal breakers. This is also why you have to have a Breaker between the GenSet & Inverter plus a Breaker from Inverter to VAC Sub-Panel. DO FOLLOW THEIR GUIDELINES !

FYI:
The EVO Series does have ModBus RS485 AND CanBus ! They have not made the Protocol stacks public and there is no Application to monitor or administer the EVO. You can "try" to sniff it out if you wish. I do have the ModBus Stack but under a Dev NDA and cannot share it.
RJ-45 Jacks for Communication Ports “COMM 1” and “COMM 2” - For RS-485 networking and MODBUS Serial
RJ-45 Jacks for Communication Ports “COM 3” and “COM 4” - For “CANbus” Serial Communication Protocol (for future use)
1668033956078.png
ALSO, Note that the Batt Temp Sensor can ALSO be used to control charging (On/Off) with a Lithium Smart BMS, see product specific manual. It will require an NO Solid State Relay. * NOT ALL BMS' can do so !

Hope it Helps, Good Luck.
Steve
PS, please do not ask for the protocol stack info, I cannot share it.

Hats off Steve, great info there and much to consider. I also have a Champion Tri-fuel sine genset. Can’t say enough good about its design and support folks. Best thought through consumer standby set I’ve seen … after a whole lotta years building telecom utility infrastructure.

Especially appreciate the points about charging. I still haven’t wrapped my head around optimizing that for my system. It’s a whole new and interesting game since the C&D/LaMarche days. ??

I’m just about done methodically gathering load data for four full seasons and I’m very glad I did as I gave a valuable insight as to how to select ESS and inverters/chargers. One of the more interesting points I didn't see coming was that 95% of the time our load is less than 3.5Kw … and 60% of the time under 1.5Kw. If I can get a soft start for the HVAC compressor, I can run everything w a 6-7Kw 120/240 inverter. I am working towards a 625 A-H storage … to get ~30KwH. LOL … you def give a solid case of Battery Envy at 1293 aH … kudos there!!! ?

I had the opportunity to do some embedded controller, protocol comm work way, way back in the day so I get that. It’s encouraging that that’s in the works. I’m betting Samlex is going to bring out some management software later that will be as OCD good as their hardware. ?

1668222734456.jpeg

I’m betting Samlex is going to bring out some management software later that will be as OCD good as their hardware.
To be perfectly honest, it is most unlikely that Samlex will ever provide an Application Suite for their inverters sadly. They are NOT a Software Dev Company and that is quite a let down. I've had my 4024 for 5 years or so now and only had it glitch once which got resolved Post Haste, quite a solid machine. I have the ModBus stack but that was not so easy to get which included NDA's, but I was in the IT Engineering Field for MANY years which also included being a part of the Canadian Protocol Standards & Communications group.

The reasoning they have is a bit "off" IMO. They are afraid that if people start messing with ModBus/CanBus that they can ruin the devices (most registers are R/W) and one goof could trash the firmware. IMO, this is a disservice to clients and far too overcautious, especially in light that MANY other companies provide that information freely, as well as Apps to accompany it.

To be perfectly honest, it is most unlikely that Samlex will ever provide an Application Suite for their inverters sadly. They are NOT a Software Dev Company and that is quite a let down. I've had my 4024 for 5 years or so now and only had it glitch once which got resolved Post Haste, quite a solid machine. I have the ModBus stack but that was not so easy to get which included NDA's, but I was in the IT Engineering Field for MANY years which also included being a part of the Canadian Protocol Standards & Communications group.

The reasoning they have is a bit "off" IMO. They are afraid that if people start messing with ModBus/CanBus that they can ruin the devices (most registers are R/W) and one goof could trash the firmware. IMO, this is a disservice to clients and far too overcautious, especially in light that MANY other companies provide that information freely, as well as Apps to accompany it.

Called Samlex support to get the latest firmware update for the EVO 2224 about a month ago. Support was very responsive and received the update that same day. While support was on the phone, I asked about any software in the works for remote WIFI monitoring and was told Bluetooth was in the works and probably within a year or so. I then asked again about WIFI and was informed that was probably several years out.

Not sure how the Bluetooth will work, but some kind of transmitter hardware will be needed possibly a dongle or adapter. Bluetooth would be nice, but still hoping for the WIFI monitoring.

Before the conversation was over the new Samlex EVO 4248 split phase inverter was talked about. Support said the unit would be stackable. The current hardware is already capable of stacking and just working on the finishing touches for the firmware.

With how well the EVO 2224 works and all the programmability the EVO 4248 will be on my sort list when split phase is installed in the future. Just would like to see some software first...

Samlex Engineering Policy def is on the conservative side and frankly I value that highly in an enviro like this. Local Bluetooth next year would fill the bill for me.

“Lightweighting” in engineering needs to be accompanied with a massive dose of consideration for outlier circumstances as well as common sense trade offs. (Seen way, way too much of that in the last decade).

I’m about 60 pages in on the 4248 manual with the second half to go. I’ve discovered several other features I like. Still need to get my arms around all the functionality of using the ext DC input. No red flags so far … looking first class.

I can see buying this guy … especially if it stacks! ??

Hey y'all.
I just started the install on the 4248.
What I didn't realize is I'd need the remote control .... I read and read about this invertor and missed the simplest observation that there's no LCD on the unit. Forehead slap

So my question is : should I wait for the remote or let it rip on the default settings while awaiting the brown truck?

I've got the 30 amp breakers in and out of the AC , the solar array is well under the DC MAX. .

Thoughts?

And SolarWannabe. How'd you fair?

Hey y'all.
I just started the install on the 4248.
What I didn't realize is I'd need the remote control .... I read and read about this invertor and missed the simplest observation that there's no LCD on the unit. Forehead slap

So my question is : should I wait for the remote or let it rip on the default settings while awaiting the brown truck?

I've got the 30 amp breakers in and out of the AC , the solar array is well under the DC MAX. .

Thoughts?

And SolarWannabe. How'd you fair?

I have the Samlex EVO 2224 Inverter/Charger. Assuming the 4248 is the same you can probably run it with the defaults out of the box, but defiantly need the remote control EVO-RC-PLUS to program the unit. The remote is reasonably priced compared to other brands. I never ran it without the remote, but can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

In the mean time suggest reading up on the EVO-RC-PLUS as it is very detailed with a lot of programmability for the EVO. See attached EVO-RC-PLUS manual. I have read it through many times and have a number of pages bookmarked with sticky notes in areas that are used a lot.

Attachments

• Samlex-EVO-RC-PLUS-Manual.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 2
The EVO RC-Plus is a must have for configuring the device & for it to store logs etc on the SDCard.
I believe the default settings are for Flooded Lead Acid and should be fine for "Discharge" use but NOT for Charging ! (it has equalization enabled I believe).

The EVO-4024 does not have an LFP profile but the 4248 being a recent model may have an LFP profile already.
BTW: They are capable of charging @ 100A but I keep it at 80A (default is 40A) so there is enough overhead room for the Passthrough AC while charging. I use a Champion 4650W Inverter Generator, the L5:30 provides 120VAC/30A, when charging batteries at 80A, it is pulling 120V/23A +/-1A.

Take your time with the settings and have the manual handy for reference. These are Option Filled and have a LOT of configurability, so its easy to get lost in there at first.

Back