diy solar

diy solar

Schematic/diagram/drawing tools for Solar

I put the list so far in this doc. I'd like to break down into a table to show things like price, platform, etc,... If anything is missing, let me know. If you want to edit the document, help to make a table, etc,... just request access:

1573755672517.png

(y) Nice. Thanx. But painful over a low speed internet DSL.....

For future reference, you can edit Google Docs offline by selecting File / Make available offline.

I'm also trying to identify which of these tools support offline in the Platforms column. This is ideal if you have a slow internet connection or are not always online.

Cajunwolf, what I was after was a tool that was easy to use, cheap and could quickly create a solar system design that a laymen could understand, ie, without the electrical nomenclature that engineers spew. I have tried or reviewed most of the tools suggested here and quite like the ones that allow the insertion of actual pictures of the components. It seems a pity there isn't an off the shelf tool for solar design out there but i gotta say what folks have done with whats available to make it work for this is fantastic!

If you're just making images, drawing the wiring on them, and the text all you need is the Gimp, it's free. I use Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, and IrfanView to do batch work on large groups of images, or to run my scanners. Being a retired mechanical engineer, I still have my drafting instruments (and my slide rule too), so I can just draw it then scan it into an image — a walk in the park for an engineer. :cool:

Yeah, you seem to be collecting these tools, and if I had a better idea of what everyone wants to do with said tools, I could come up with better suggestions.
How many screwdrivers do you own (drills count, too)?

If you're just making images, drawing the wiring on them, and the text all you need is the Gimp, it's free. I use Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, and IrfanView to do batch work on large groups of images, or to run my scanners. Being a retired mechanical engineer, I still have my drafting instruments (and my slide rule too), so I can just draw it then scan it into an image — a walk in the park for an engineer. :cool:
I'm a GIMP fan, and been using it forever. But, draw.io has come a long way, which I re-discovered when we had this discussion. And I'm blown away at how easy and quickly you can whip up diagrams with it.

I'm interested on looking at all tools for all purposes. Right now, watching @SCClockDr whip up schematics like most of us butter bread, and hoping he shares the tool he used to do it. Electronics schematics can play a role if you get into combining things like Arduino with your solar system.

I'm a GIMP fan, and been using it forever. But, draw.io has come a long way, which I re-discovered when we had this discussion. And I'm blown away at how easy and quickly you can whip up diagrams with it.

I'm interested on looking at all tools for all purposes. Right now, watching @SCClockDr whip up schematics like most of us butter bread, and hoping he shares the tool he used to do it. Electronics schematics can play a role if you get into combining things like Arduino with your solar system.
Dia
It allows to also create your own objects. It is a bit clunky like no rotation so you need 3 objects (Horiz, Vert, & Diag) for each shape.

You guys are going to laugh at what I use. I use photoscape. Its free and I have made 100% of my youtube thumbnails/ schematics with this program. It is not really designed for what I use it for, but it is fast and easy to use. Check it out

You guys are going to laugh at what I use. I use photoscape. Its free and I have made 100% of my youtube thumbnails/ schematics with this program. It is not really designed for what I use it for, but it is fast and easy to use. Check it out
It looks like PhotoScape has the core basics one would need. It is Windows only, so can't try as I abandoned Windows to be 99% Linux in 2016. I'd suggest you play with draw.io, or if you have time to delve into something with capabilities similar to PhotoShop, GIMP. While the latter is more complex, you learn to search for "gimp how to ..." and can usually get a decent step-by-step. It pays to remember the core tools in it to speed things up.

Once you go layers, you'll never go back. GIMP has always had layers. Draw.io recently added them. While not having layers wouldn't keep me from using a schematics tool such as Dia, I wouldn't want to do photo editing or complex diagrams w/o it. Layers are especially useful when you want to re-use something, such as a banner containing text or a 3D button.

If you jump around from computer to computer all day, you'll find the web based ones (e.g., draw.io) supporting cloud storage to save to be a real bonus. Web can do nearly everything desktop can do now, including image editing.

Chuckle Chuckle… I have been using Paint DOT Net for many years... it's quite similar to Photoshop & Gimp if features, functions and capabilities and it's a great tool for what it is and what it is intended to do BUT not for diagramming or making flow charts. https://www.getpaint.net/ or MS Windows Store … it's windows only.

I have been looking at Draw.IO and I do believe it's a winner, not only the Online Version but the PC version as well. Good timing too as I will have to revise / update all my diagrams "again" - gee wiz, a never ending process it seems.... It's important "for me" to have a locally intstallable tool as I work offline a LOT, Satellite modem & router are only ON when I need internet.

It looks like PhotoScape has the core basics one would need. It is Windows only, so can't try as I abandoned Windows to be 99% Linux in 2016. I'd suggest you play with draw.io, or if you have time to delve into something with capabilities similar to PhotoShop, GIMP. While the latter is more complex, you learn to search for "gimp how to ..." and can usually get a decent step-by-step. It pays to remember the core tools in it to speed things up.

Once you go layers, you'll never go back. GIMP has always had layers. Draw.io recently added them. While not having layers wouldn't keep me from using a schematics tool such as Dia, I wouldn't want to do photo editing or complex diagrams w/o it. Layers are especially useful when you want to re-use something, such as a banner containing text or a 3D button.

If you jump around from computer to computer all day, you'll find the web based ones (e.g., draw.io) supporting cloud storage to save to be a real bonus. Web can do nearly everything desktop can do now, including image editing.

Oh I spent years of my life using gimp/photoshop/indesign/illustrator etc. Thats how I edited large art pieces for my photography business in college. I also did professional level design with auto cad/inventor/rhino/solidworks etc. I know how to use layers haha! And photoscape has a simple layers system. And it works flawlessly. And you can move objects around etc. It is MUCH more capable than you are assuming it to be, I promise you that. Have you used photoscape?

Oh I spent years of my life using gimp/photoshop/indesign/illustrator etc. Thats how I edited large art pieces for my photography business in college. I also did professional level design with auto cad/inventor/rhino/solidworks etc. I know how to use layers haha! And photoscape has a simple layers system. And it works flawlessly. And you can move objects around etc. It is MUCH more capable than you are assuming it to be, I promise you that. Have you used photoscape?
That's awesome! I have not used it. But, I believe you. If I used Windows, I'd download and try it.

You use what gets the job done the fastest in most cases. And, since you've had the experience you had, you know how you can use 3 different tools to complete one output. If they come out with a Linux version, let me know and I'll check it out. :)

And very cool about Draw.IO. I will check that one out, thanks guys

The only caveat I found was when you want to share a diagram with someone, the URL it creates is HUGE... so huge that I can't paste in this forum. But, don't feel bad because TinyURL chokes on it, too! LOL That's the only unresolved issue I have with it, though. Ironic considering the purpose of TinyURL.com.

The only caveat I found was when you want to share a diagram with someone, the URL it creates is HUGE... so huge that I can't paste in this forum. But, don't feel bad because TinyURL chokes on it, too! LOL That's the only unresolved issue I have with it, though. Ironic considering the purpose of TinyURL.com.
That is most likely an embedded png image.

Back