diy solar

diy solar

Schematics for all in one units

NMNeil

Solar Enthusiast
Thanks to Will for posting the manuals for the all in one units, but I was wondering if anyone have access to, and can post the circuit diagrams/schematics to any units?
I'm about to buy one or two units and I'm hearing horror stories of units being DOA, quiting within days or bursting into flames, and the manufacturer ignoring the warranty, or demanding the buyer pay for shipping both ways for any repairs, making it uneconomic.
MPP do have a service manual, but it's a little sparse on details, and the arrow pointing to the crystal for the MCU and showing it as ground, does not inspire confidence.
I'd like to be able to repair or upgrade any units I buy myself, and a circuit diagram would make it so much easier than reverse engineering the units.

I don't know about other manuals but I thank you for the one you posted. I have the 800W MPP. panels, & batteries set up as a back up UPS so I am saving the manual you posted. I agree a "Better" service manual or for other units would be helpful.

As for the horror stories ..... its the Chinese method of manufacturing/distribution where QC costs are significantly lowered and savings past on to buyer so the buyer becomes the QC. This method has higher failure rates but much lower pricing and seems to be favored by American buyers. I would also say those that are unhappy with failed units will spend way more energy advertising their dissatisfaction than those that are happy buyers. Last the use of fake reviews has become pandemic and made it very hard for the American consumer and that goes for negative reviews by competitors.

I like to think of these cheaper chinese units as being able to buy what I want, ........buying a spare for when that fails, ......and still save 33% cost. If not a biggy to swap out with the spare when it fails then I will take the savings.

My baby MMP 800W used as a UPS has been problem free for several years with no DOA, quitting, or bursting into flames, I do not know about the warranty but according to all the postings everywhere if you purchase from the fellow in UTAH that advertises himself as the official USA distributor then you will have no issues with warranty work-I don't think I have read anything negative about him anywheres. Complaints were by those trying to save $20 and buying from overseas distributors.

I understand that's a pot luck where Chinese electronics are concerned, but I have 2 Make Sky Blue MPPT 40A charge controllers that have been working perfectly for over 3 years; until now. One of the cooling fans became noisy, and checking for a replacement the original manufacturer says to limit it's use to 16 hours a day and it has a life expectancy of 30,000 hours for the sleeve bearing. So its failure was not unexpected. Both units will have the fans replaced with ball bearing units and I expect them to carry on for years to come.
I realized how invasive Chinese manufactured goods have become when I ordered a brand new Snap-On toolbox a few years ago, and it had a label like this on it.
1598470214629.png
Told the tool guy to take it back and I started buying openly Chinese made tools from Harbor Freight.

I'm about to buy one or two units and I'm hearing horror stories of units being DOA, quiting within days or bursting into flames, and the manufacturer ignoring the warranty, or demanding the buyer pay for shipping both ways for any repairs, making it uneconomic.

Just want to add these have been copied and I read one of the manufacturers put MPP Solar on the unit. Those are the ones most likely to fail. MPP Solar also sells the units on Alibaba for a lesser price than Ian...the fellow in Utah. He is also a member of this forum but does not visit here very often. I am sure his support is outstanding in the event of a problem and I would probably pay more for his support.

As far as support in general, if there is a failure MPP Solar will help you to diagnose the component that failed. Then they will give you the option of repairing it yourself and send you a replacement component with installation instructions. I watched a guy on YouTube repair one and it's not too difficult.

I just checked with Ian in Utah, and the shipment of the MPP all in ones should arrive by Sept 9th.
I'm happy to pay the extra for some piece of mind, and for the genuine article.

Back