diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XW Pro 6848 Stuck in AC Passthrough

One exception to its good behavior: On two occasions in the last couple weeks the system got stuck in some kind of cycle sending power from the battery to somewhere unknown. I suspect it was going to AC-coupled microinverters that were periodically checking grid impedance by drawing a load (like they do during initial startup). I'll eventually figure it out, but don't have time to mess with it at the moment.
So what micros are you using to AC couple. I have never gotten AC coupled to work with my IQ8s. Maybe part AC and part DC works better? What DV / AC ratio do you have?

Hello everyone, I would like to use Modbus to control the XW Pro 6848 to output or input the power values I calculate. However, I couldn't find corresponding registers on the Modbus Map to input the calculated charging or discharging power.
Modbus Map version 990-91343CAug 10, 2021.

Equipment list:
- Schneider XW Pro 6848
- Schneider MPPT 60 100
- Schneider InsightHome
- 2.4KW battery

So what micros are you using to AC couple. I have never gotten AC coupled to work with my IQ8s. Maybe part AC and part DC works better? What DV / AC ratio do you have?
Several members here have enphase microinverters AC Coupled to XWs. How do you have everything wired?

From my understanding, the enphase system would need to be connecter to the "AC Out" (or commonly.. the critical loads panel) of the XW.)

Hello everyone, I would like to use Modbus to control the XW Pro 6848 to output or input the power values I calculate. However, I couldn't find corresponding registers on the Modbus Map to input the calculated charging or discharging power.

Equipment list:
- Schneider XW Pro 6848
- Schneider MPPT 60 100
- Schneider InsightHome
- 2.4KW battery
Here are the download links to the Schneider Mod Bus maps. The XW in 503-246-01

Equipment list:
- Schneider XW Pro 6848
- Schneider MPPT 60 100
- Schneider InsightHome
- 2.4KW battery
You might want to start your own thread, so people can help you with specifics, rather than posting in this one (it's not really modbus related, so you likely won't get a lot of traction in this thread)

You might want to start your own thread, so people can help you with specifics, rather than posting in this one (it's not really modbus related, so you likely won't get a lot of traction in this thread)
They posted the same question in about every XW thread and also started their own thread

My Schneider 6848 pro inverter does not want to exit passthrough...it was working very well and in the morning it woke up like this, I have tried several options, I gave it a factory reset and then I turned it off for an hour to see if it would react and I got no result. ..any advice will be very helpful...thank you

My Schneider 6848 pro inverter does not want to exit passthrough...it was working very well and in the morning it woke up like this, I have tried several options, I gave it a factory reset and then I turned it off for an hour to see if it would react and I got no result. ..any advice will be very helpful...thank you
This question probably should have been posted as a new thread. Could you please explain what you mean by not exiting pass-thru. The default configuration is grid pass-thru priority if the voltage and frequency are qualified on either AC1 or AC2.
Exceptions would be
1) When grid is not available then the inverter starts up to power loads from the battery and/or solar and the transfer switch opens per anti-islanding requirements.
2) Peak Load Shave timers are active and PLS Amps are set to some value less than what is being consumed by the loads, then the inverter starts up and provides power in sufficient amounts to limit grid usage to the PLS Amps setting.
3) Sell-Back is enabled and there is excess solar power available then the inverter starts up and provides power at a rate equivalent to available PV output.

Edit: Isn't there a BackUp Mode Enable slider on the Insight or Gateway set up menu?? I believe the Pro has that option.

My Schneider 6848 pro inverter does not want to exit passthrough.
What all is in your system? What is the battery voltage at? Are any of the time limits set? Is the time correct in the inverter?

If you shut off the grid to the input will it go into inverting?

This question probably should have been posted as a new thread. Could you please explain what you mean by not exiting pass-thru. The default configuration is grid pass-thru priority if the voltage and frequency are qualified on either AC1 or AC2.
Exceptions would be
1) When grid is not available then the inverter starts up to power loads from the battery and/or solar and the transfer switch opens per anti-islanding requirements.
2) Peak Load Shave timers are active and PLS Amps are set to some value less than what is being consumed by the loads, then the inverter starts up and provides power in sufficient amounts to limit grid usage to the PLS Amps setting.
3) Sell-Back is enabled and there is excess solar power available then the inverter starts up and provides power at a rate equivalent to available PV output.

Edit: Isn't there a BackUp Mode Enable slider on the Insight or Gateway set up menu?? I believe the Pro has that option.
Ok...what I mean is that it's stuck with the three little lines on the screen and it doesn't want to sell to the grid or go into self-consumption, it's stuck in AC passthrough. When I turn off the grid it starts to feed on the batteries. .The Backup mode is enabled.The battery voltage is 54v..the time is correct on the inverter....I downloaded the latest firmware and installed it, I did a factory reset but it still doesn't react
Schneider 6848pro
2mppt 60/150
54v lithium battery
18 panels 330w

Attachments

• XW 6848pro.jpg
    XW 6848pro.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1
Ok...what I mean is that it's stuck with the three little lines on the screen and it doesn't want to sell to the grid or go into self-consumption, it's stuck in AC passthrough. When I turn off the grid it starts to feed on the batteries. .The Backup mode is enabled.The battery voltage is 54v..the time is correct on the inverter....I downloaded the latest firmware and installed it, I did a factory reset but it still doesn't react
Schneider 6848pro
2mppt 60/150
54v lithium battery
18 panels 330w
Your battery charge must be higher than the "Sell to volts". It also must be higher then recharge voltage plus 0.5. You must be in a sell block. A print screen of your "Grid Energy Management" and "controls" might help. Also the current SOC Control, time, battery voltage, and recharge voltage.

Unfortunately there are many settings on the Schneider that interact in poorly documented and unexpected ways. If you can share these settings, someone might be able to see what is wrong.

Last edited:
Your battery charge must be higher than the "Sell to volts". It also must be higher then recharge voltage plus 0.5. You must be in a sell block. A print screen of your "Grid Energy Management" and "controls" might help. Also the current SOC Control, time, battery voltage, and recharge voltage.

Unfortunately there are many settings on the Schneider that interact in poorly documented and unexpected ways. If you can share these settings, someone might be able to see what is wrong.
Ok...I hope this can make my problem more visible...I have the sale to the grid turned off to know if it would enter self-consumption

Attachments

• 6848_0.png
    6848_0.png
    403.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 6848_1.JPG
    6848_1.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 6848_2.JPG
    6848_2.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 6
  • 6848_3.JPG
    6848_3.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 6848_4.JPG
    6848_4.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 6
So what do you want it to do? Right now you don't have any of the grid interactive features turned on? It sounds like you want peak shaving?

Are you using SOC or voltage control? Actually I saw you are using voltage control.

Schneider uses the terminology Grid Peak Load Shave which = self consumption. Referring the the last page you posted there are 3 problems.
1) Peak Load Shave is Disabled so the slider has to be moved to the Enabled position.
2) Peak Load Shave Amps setting = the amount of power that is allowed from the grid BEFORE PLS kicks in. If you set this to 0 the inverter will supply 100% of the loads and try to keep grid consumption to 0. NOTE: The electronics are not infinitely fast, even when set to 0 there will still be some wattage from grid. Like 100 to 300W depending on the loads.
3) Peak Load Shave timers have to be set for the start time and end time. 12:00 on both timers = OFF.

Other issue: Grid Support Voltage should be set to the same value as the Float Voltage setting on the charge controllers. Something like 53.6 to 54.4V. I'm not sure how the SoC settings effect PLS, I don't have an XW Pro. I'm still with the XW+.

As @weisenburg mentioned above there is a hard limit programmed into the firmware that PLS only works until the battery voltage drops to Recharge Volts setting PLUS 0.5V. According to the above screen shots its set at 52V so self consumption will only continue until the batteries get down to 52.5V. You may need to lower Recharge Volts to 51V or 50V if you need several hours of self consumption during Peak Billing periods.

What was the DC voltage reporter by Schneider when you took those screenshots?

You have grid support voltage set to 53.6 and reported battery voltage as 54 earlier.
If the battery voltage was 1/2 volt lower than you reported, the issue would make sense.

Back