diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XW Pro - End of Sale???

EnderWiggin

I just called Signature Solar wanting to put together a three-phase 6848 order and called because some of the pieces were not showing as individually available (i.e. they sell the 600/100 SCC as part of a bundle but not as a standalone orderable item), and the rep told me that Schneider is discontinuing the XW Pro.

This is quite a shock to me and I may shift to Victron if this is ultimately true - but before I look into pricing out a Quattro 10k 3-phase system, has anyone else heard this end-of-sale messaging from vendors or Schneider? I don't see anything online about this and I would think that such a discontinuance would be a huge industry notification.

Yikes. If they killed off the 8548 then it might have only been a matter of time before the 6848 went, as well. I really want Schneider, the setup is so much "cleaner" and it perfectly matches my power requirements, and is built like a tank - but I really don't want to start off a brand-new install with hardware that is about to be called quits.

That being said, even though the Quattros have been rock solid, as well, for a long period of time, they're also quite "long in the tooth" - meaning, I can't be guaranteed if I switch to Victron my situation will be much better. So my only two real choices for LF 3-phase 208Y are both "old dogs" - not the best situation, I guess.

Yikes. If they killed off the 8548 then it might have only been a matter of time before the 6848 went, as well. I really want Schneider, the setup is so much "cleaner" and it perfectly matches my power requirements, and is built like a tank - but I really don't want to start off a brand-new install with hardware that is about to be called quits.
The 8548 was a 230v model I believe, and didn't sell that well in the 230v markets so I would take it with a grain of salt.

The reason I think it could be under threat is they have a new line of inverters and batteries:

But idk, I would think the XW is still a good seller especially in the developing world that uses 120/240.

I wouldn't let it stop me from buying an XW now if I had a use for another one.

Just got off the phone with a rep at NAZ and they didn't "confirm" that it was dead but they said they wouldn't be surprised if it was killed off soon. They were pushing hard on the Sol-Ark 30K which, I'll admit, EXACTLY fits my specifications - 3-phase out of the box, etc - but it's still a HF inverter which just rubs me the wrong way, and you have to use their wildly overpriced batteries (they say they're agnostic but I don't see many HVDC battery bank vendors out there) - $22K for 40KWh compared to $13K for 50-60KWh of standard LFP.

I dunno, now my whole decision is in flux. Should I cancel my battery order and go full Sol-Ark, as suggested, and put up with overpriced batteries? Should I go Victron and risk having the older Quattro go end of sale, as well? Or should I stick with XW Pro - I mean, it's not officially end of sale, and they still sell the ancient SW online so it's not like they've given up on it or anything...

Have to make a decision either today or tomorrow, need to get something en route to the island soon. Lots of soul searching ahead...

I'm gonna guess that the sales rep was jumping to the conclusion that since Schneider will be releasing this new inverter, that the old ones will be discontinued. But that the latter part of the claim is unconfirmed, and hopefully Schneider will continue selling it as a legacy product for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't mind if Schneider started dropping support for some of the features of the XW that cause so many problems for users, and just basically sold it as an off grid product.

Or should I stick with XW Pro - I mean, it's not officially end of sale, and they still sell the ancient SW online so it's not like they've given up on it or anything...
That's what I would do. Have you fully researched the three phase configuration process? I'm not sure if it officially requires the config tool or not. But voltage calibration can be done with the Insight Home now.

That's what I would do. Have you fully researched the three phase configuration process? I'm not sure if it officially requires the config tool or not. But voltage calibration can be done with the Insight Home now.
Yeah, extensively. :) Planning on off-grid for the time being but wiring up the grid in case the island gets its #$@% together in the future and allows export to grid, so I can always calibrate later on if I need to. My only real hangup with Schneider and 3-phase was its firmware on it is really old - they don't have 2.x firmware for 120V operation yet, from what I can tell.

I'm still leaning towards this solution - the cabling is cleaner, the unit is built like a tank, breakers are all organized in the PDP, etc... I just want to be sure. I would jump at the Sol-Ark 30K in a heartbeat as an alternative if it didn't lock me into HVDC. Not that I have anything against HVDC, but if for some reason Sol-Ark doesn't work out, I can't then switch to another inverter manufacturer unless they also support HVDC.

The process of using Schneider Conext equipment will bring feelings of abandonment by Schneider and frustration with xanbus and the controls. So do be prepared for more of those feelings if you continue with it.

I'm concerned Outback will kill off the Radian soon too. I want a second one, just because, but not at full price hah (well I do, I just can't justify the $$$$).

Signature solar has been discounting the price on the XW line for a while, to me it seemed like they were trying to get rid of their stock.
I don't believe the story that Schneider is discontinuing the XW Line.

Signature solar has been discounting the price on the XW line for a while, to me it seemed like they were trying to get rid of their stock.
I don't believe the story that Schneider is discontinuing the XW Line.
Agreed. Seems like a sales tactic to me.

Regardless I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new XW Pro or used XW+

Well, between the SS initial doubt, the continued, "I dunno..." from NAZ, and the fact that AltE also now almost has zero XW inventory, I defaulted back to Blue. Turns out hwy17 was right, I went full Smurf.

I already have a Victron install at home so adding another at our new house is easier, there are support staff on the island that service Victron gear (though they're hard to get a hold of), and what I wanted was in stock at NAZ so I pulled the trigger on a 3x10K Quattro, 1x250/200 deal with them. The price was almost identical to the comparable Schneider.

Would have liked the aesthetics of the Schneider better, and I agree that it's likely some places are just emptying their stock, it's just that so many things aligned with Victron that I shifted gears. Of course, RIGHT after I placed the order, Gttnsun and 42OhmsPA replied and I was second-guessing myself! :)

Chances are, be it Victron or Schneider, I was going to be fine either way. I just wish I knew if the XW Pro was planned to sunset or not...

Just got off the phone with a rep at NAZ and they didn't "confirm" that it was dead but they said they wouldn't be surprised if it was killed off soon. They were pushing hard on the Sol-Ark 30K which, I'll admit, EXACTLY fits my specifications - 3-phase out of the box, etc - but it's still a HF inverter which just rubs me the wrong way, and you have to use their wildly overpriced batteries (they say they're agnostic but I don't see many HVDC battery bank vendors out there) - $22K for 40KWh compared to $13K for 50-60KWh of standard LFP.

I dunno, now my whole decision is in flux. Should I cancel my battery order and go full Sol-Ark, as suggested, and put up with overpriced batteries? Should I go Victron and risk having the older Quattro go end of sale, as well? Or should I stick with XW Pro - I mean, it's not officially end of sale, and they still sell the ancient SW online so it's not like they've given up on it or anything...

Have to make a decision either today or tomorrow, need to get something en route to the island soon. Lots of soul searching ahead...
Personally I don't think the older Quattros are going anywhere. Yes there are some smaller Quattro 2 120x2 models out with the shallower cabinet form factor, but the original Quattro would still be made even if larger Quattro 2s are announced in the future. Just as the original multiplus models are made, even though the multiplus 2 models are the latest. The originals have slightly more surge than the newer multi 2/Quattro 2s as well.

Well, between the SS initial doubt, the continued, "I dunno..." from NAZ, and the fact that AltE also now almost has zero XW inventory, I defaulted back to Blue. Turns out hwy17 was right, I went full Smurf.

I already have a Victron install at home so adding another at our new house is easier, there are support staff on the island that service Victron gear (though they're hard to get a hold of), and what I wanted was in stock at NAZ so I pulled the trigger on a 3x10K Quattro, 1x250/200 deal with them. The price was almost identical to the comparable Schneider.

Would have liked the aesthetics of the Schneider better, and I agree that it's likely some places are just emptying their stock, it's just that so many things aligned with Victron that I shifted gears. Of course, RIGHT after I placed the order, Gttnsun and 42OhmsPA replied and I was second-guessing myself! :)

Chances are, be it Victron or Schneider, I was going to be fine either way. I just wish I knew if the XW Pro was planned to sunset or not...
youre-one-of-us-now-pkasv8r8bh0rhm1m.gif

I don't think you'll have any regrets going full Blue.

Thanks folks and yeah it might have been a tactic to get me into EG4 or SolArk but I just went Blue instead! :) I’ll have to start a build thread at some point.

XW pro might have reached EOL, Schneider is focusing more on their whole home solutions product line with their HF inverters, seems where the market is headed. 16 months since their last firmware update for the XW pro

I emailed Schneider about 4 hours ago asking for clarity, I'll report back if I get a reply.
Someday I'd like to have a pair of Pros hanging on my wall...
Never did receive a reply, I did win a bunch of prizes, made a bunch of random payments and have a bunch of shipments coming according to my spam folder...

Never did receive a reply, I did win a bunch of prizes, made a bunch of random payments and have a bunch of shipments coming according to my spam folder...
Hehehe thanks for the follow up… I don’t think we were expecting much though. :D

That being said, even though the Quattros have been rock solid, as well, for a long period of time, they're also quite "long in the tooth" - meaning, I can't be guaranteed if I switch to Victron my situation will be much better. So my only two real choices for LF 3-phase 208Y are both "old dogs" - not the best situation, I guess.
I'm selling my Schneider system if you're interested. (4) XW Pro 6848, (3) MPPT 80/600, and the PDP. Two of the inverters are new in the box after a warranty claim on the other two but since they still work I never swapped them out. I also have the calibration tool.

There's plenty that might be interested.
Where are you located and what are you asking?

It's probably best to put that into a thread in the for sale section.

Edit: I see you've already done that:

The only part that makes me sad is that Schneider, and even Xantrex and Trace before them, have always been notoriously poor about providing any future compatibility or firmware maintenance support for End-of-Life products.

All versions of XW Pro firmware have bugs, errata, undocumented features, and functionality that doesn't match documentation. (Like the fact that the documentation claims you only need a single BTS connected to one device on XANBUS and it will supply battery temp to all the other devices. False - only the same types of devices share, like two XW Pros, or two MPPTs, etc. I have to use THREE of the BTS because the battery monitor needs its own too! Lame!)

The SW/XW product lines also has a history of going different directions with XANBUS management.
- Remember the Xantrex Communications Gateway? Bought it, used it, discontinued and unsupported.
- Remember the SCP? Bought it, used it, discontinued and unsupported.
- Remember the Schneider ComBox? Bought it, used it, discontinued and unsupported.
- Remember the Schneider "Conext Gateway"? Bought it, they soon after revised hardware and renamed to "Insight Facility" with a $250+ price hike. Still using, but it exists in a grey area where you have to treat it like an "Insight Facility", so who knows how long the older hardware version will be supported for.

I get that a full XW system implementation and configuration is too complex to ever be idiot-proof, but I can't see how a high-frequency all-in-one can replace the proven SW/XW low-frequency architecture no matter how simple it is. It's a completely different type and demographic of product. Unfortunately, nobody else makes anything close to an XW.

Back