diy solar

diy solar

See panel production on outdated Sunny Boy inverter?

HighVoltage

I have a Sunny Boy Model SB 5000US inverter for my 4.2kW system. I can only see the current production on the front LCD. SMA had an accessory called the "webbox" that would connect the inverter to the network. However, their tech support told me that's been discontinued.

Short of replacing the inverter, do I have any options to monitor my production instantaneously and over time other than the LCD screen?

Thanks,
Paul

I have a SMA sunny view on one of my older SunnyBoys, you might be able to find a used one for sale.

How does your Sunny Boy transmit data to your Sunny View?

Bluetooth, that model SunnyBoy most likely already has bluetooth comms, the SunnyView i have comes with a comms card that you can fit to the SunnyBoys that don’t already have bluetooth.

The newer SB’s all have built in wifi.

Bluetooth, that model SunnyBoy most likely already has bluetooth comms, the SunnyView i have comes with a comms card that you can fit to the SunnyBoys that don’t already have bluetooth.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check that out.

If you have Bluetooth you can use a computer with suitable software to extract data from the inverter. I run SBFspot https://www.startpage.com/sp/search on a Pi Zero to extract data and send it to PVoutput.

If you are just interested in the AC power output of the inverter a better option is to use one of the power monitoring devices. I like the Iotawatt https://iotawatt.com/ which uses a current transformer to measure power and store the data locally and you can upload to another logging system. That gives much greater granularity than the inverter and there's several more inputs to log other circuits.

PVoutput.jpg

iotawatt.jpg

I use that model Sunny Boy xxxxUS.
There are RS-485 or Bluetooth piggybacks available.

Using RS-485, I can connect with either Sunny Boy Control or Sunny WebBox. Both obsolete, but available used and sometimes new in the box.

I've also used Sunny Explorer software on a PC with Speedwire cable for older Sunny Boy TL-US inverters. I don't know if Speedwire modules work with 5000US. Sunny Explorer manual lists Speedwire and Bluetooth but not RS-485. So presumably a Bluetooth module work let you connect with Sunny Explorer.

It looks like SMA Com Gateway would interface between Speedwire and RS-485 connected inverters.

That is a tricky one. I use the Sunny Data Control, but like Hedges said, it is discontinued. Knock on wood, but mine has been working for almost 20 years.

How about putting a current donut somewhere on the inverter ac line?
I use one of these in addition to the SDC. Gives you instantaneous values and if you leave it on (I put a toggle sticht on it) you can read total KHW also.
2. Energy: test range: 0~999kWh - so you can go to 999 before it goes back to 0. Amazon $20. The Data Control cost $1,000 back in the day.
1659629606788.png

Maybe open the front bottom cover and check if you have connection points for ethernet, would be on the right hand side.
If those are present, you will more than likely have to request a PUK from SMA, that will allow you to change, or enable speedwire and wifi.
I requested a PUK, just sent an email, with serial number, model, and I think a photo of the data plate, this was for use as "user", not installer, couple days later, got an email with the PUK

Pretty sure it is too old to have an ethernet port. Newer ones do have that plus wifi, but those are different models (like SB5.0-US, etc). You can certainly add a SMA RS485 card (if available) and go the Data Control route if you can find an old one that still works, or do some Raspberry Pi stuff and do some coding that takes the RS 485 data, but you need the card in either case.

I have a SunnyBoy (older unit I think SB6000) it didn't come with Comms, but I was able to buy an Ethernet comms card from SMA and add it to the box. I get information over my network using the SMA Energy App.
I also added a similar device to the front panel of the Inverter shutoff switch box (required for California Install).
Now, looking to upgrade the system to Ford F150 Lightning with the Intelligent Home integration system.
Shelling out another $8460.00 to the system.
I'm not off-grid but rolling blackout and power issues when working from home for my son, wife, and I is painful.

Back