diy solar

diy solar

Seeking Input on System Setup

Bigbluecat57

Would appreciate input on my planned system. I'm looking to buy the SunSmart 10k hybrid system. Am I going to be able to get my 120v off one of the hot legs of this split-phase unit?

Attachments

• sunsmart two.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 11
Given the fact that the neutral is connected, you can only get 240V out of the inverter.

I would be looking at the feasibility of feeding the inverter with grid and the inverter output to house - falling back to grid as needed.

Good point. The neutral doesn't connect to the Garage Panel from either the Grid or the inverter. The drawing does indicate a 120V load on the panel though. Please update the drawing and repost if you need additional help.

Given the fact that the neutral is connected, you can only get 240V out of the inverter.

I would be looking at the feasibility of feeding the inverter with grid and the inverter output to house - falling back to grid as needed.
I just want to use it to power a few things in the garage. I'll run it to the house as only backup later. Will my layout work or not in your opinion?

I just want to use it to power a few things in the garage. I'll run it to the house as only backup later. Will my layout work or not in your opinion?

yes.

Ya, only those 2 items on a 10K inverter would be insignificant.

Agree, and likely very inefficient.

This 10kW inverter is likely to burn about 120W continuously. That's 2.9kWh/day.

Assuming 2 ton Mr. Cool, that's likely a peak draw of 2000W with no surge. when this is actually running, the penalty for having such a large inverter won't be as large.

yes.

Agree, and likely very inefficient.

This 10kW inverter is likely to burn about 120W continuously. That's 2.9kWh/day.

Assuming 2 ton Mr. Cool, that's likely a peak draw of 2000W with no surge. when this is actually running, the penalty for having such a large inverter won't be as large.
Guys, Thanks for your feedback. It is appreciated. I will add lights a compressor and maybe my well pump as I ramp up and see what the system will handle. I also intend to feed it back to the house at some point as backup during outages. I may even add a transfer switch at the house to run some circuits. I'm taking baby steps at this point.

Guys, Thanks for your feedback. It is appreciated. I will add lights a compressor and maybe my well pump as I ramp up and see what the system will handle. I also intend to feed it back to the house at some point as backup during outages. I may even add a transfer switch at the house to run some circuits. I'm taking baby steps at this point.

I doubt that unit can handle very high surge items. It may claim 6hp motor, but that's really optimistic. While 60lb may sound heavy, a low frequency inverter with a big transformer and legitimate surge capabilities is going to weigh closer to 120lb for the inverter alone - not counting the MPPT.

It's 20,000W surge claim is likely only good for less than 1 second.

I'm not saying it won't work, but you should be cautious when driving electric motors with it.

I doubt that unit can handle very high surge items. It may claim 6hp motor, but that's really optimistic. While 60lb may sound heavy, a low frequency inverter with a big transformer and legitimate surge capabilities is going to weigh closer to 120lb for the inverter alone - not counting the MPPT.

It's 20,000W surge claim is likely only good for less than 1 second.

I'm not saying it won't work, but you should be cautious when driving electric motors with it.
Interesting. My compressor motor is only 2hp. I was more concerned about whether it could handle the well pump.

Interesting. My compressor motor is only 2hp. I was more concerned about whether it could handle the well pump.
2hp is probably do-able as it's surge is likely in the vicinity of 10kW max continuous.

If you have an AC clamp ammeter with an INRUSH function, you can measure the surge current of any installed device.

Back