diy solar

diy solar

Seplos 10E - short circuit protection

Galway Bay

I've two new seplos mason batteries & 10E bms and both have the same fault and are stuck in short circuit protection.

the first battery managed 8 cycles and second one didn't even get one completed.

When the battery is running stand alone i.e. not connected the inverter, its clear with no faults but as soon as I connect it to the Solis inverter then the short circuit protection warning shows and the inverter shows "high current discharge" I've tried lead acid battery type but same problem occurs.

I've been in contact with Seplos and they adjusted settings and now they want me to test the capacitors on the circuit board, I'm happy to follow their instructions but haven't a clue what I'm doing or why.

Can anyone help me out on this?

2023-12-21 11.31.03-min.jpg

2023-12-21 11.30.57-min.jpg

My guess is as you connect it the capacitors in the inverter are filling so fast it’s causing the high discharge error.

This is a common issue, if you connect a resistor first for a couple of seconds it fixes it.

(Or your inverter was built defective and is short circuiting).

My guess is as you connect it the capacitors in the inverter are filling so fast it’s causing the high discharge error.

This is a common issue, if you connect a resistor first for a couple of seconds it fixes it.

Thanks for that, its worth a try. I'm don't have a resistor so I'll try a 220v lightbulb, apparently it just takes a bit longer, I'll report back tomorrow ;)

Thanks for that, its worth a try. I'm don't have a resistor so I'll try a 220v lightbulb, apparently it just takes a bit longer, I'll report back tomorrow ;)
If you use a carpenters pencil with both ends sharpened, it has a similar resistance to the resistors that everybody uses.

So I did this today with a 220v bulb which glowed for an hour or more and when I put a meter on, its reading 52.3v steady -- but isn't that the way it should be? the inverter and battery are turned on and live so isn't it correct that the bulb is getting 52.3v steady?

What am I not getting here? o_O

You only need the “resister” attached for like 2 to 10 seconds - just until you get a good glow. Then immediately connect the main cable. And you are done.

I have a 12v system with an external contactor (big relay), so I installed REC’s Pre-charge to automatically handle that. (Having sparks inside a contactor is very bad - ruins it quickly).

Read up on the pre charge to understand what it is doing - you are just doing the same thing manually. (For your system I would just do it manually).

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks for that and it makes sense now.
Unfortunately, I've made no progress, when I connect the main cable I get a spark and BMS immediately goes into short circuit protection...so to me it looks like a bona-fida fault somewhere, lets see how Fogstar handle this tomorrow when they reopen, I'd like to get the BMS replaced without delay

sounds to me a problem with the inverotor rather then the BMS
Thats interesting, it would certainly be the common denominator, Solis doesn't support Seplos so there'll be no help there -- what would you suggest I try to progress it?

Do you have four 12v lead acid batteries you could hook together in series to get 48v - to see if it will run the inverter?

If it is the inverter that is the issue / your cables will heat up and/or the magic smoke will appear.

Do you have four 12v lead acid batteries you could hook together in series to get 48v - to see if it will run the inverter?

If it is the inverter that is the issue / your cables will heat up and/or the magic smoke will appear.
A friend has lent me his working Pylontech battery and when I connect it to my inverter an immediate fault shows.... very interesting !!

His battery is no longer showing the 3 led's for battery level and has a red 'fault' LED that he's never seen before on his system, so it looks like there is something wrong with my inverter !

A friend has lent me his working Pylontech battery and when I connect it to my inverter an immediate fault shows.... very interesting !!

His battery is no longer showing the 3 led's for battery level and has a red 'fault' LED that he's never seen before on his system, so it looks like there is something wrong with my inverter !
as said sounds so its the inverter thats the problem

As an update for anyone coming to this in the future, I worked with Solis today and they instructed me on fault finding and it turns out the two amphenol connectors on the inverter were in short circuit, luckily the invert is still under warranty so it looks like I'll be getting a replacement

Big thanks to @Neil H for the direction and others who contributed as well, every contribution moved me forward!

Heres how I fixed it.

Shut down for 30 minutes to clean the inside of the inverter (dust)
Turned JK BMS back on and instantly get the short circuit protection fault.
Went into advanced password settings and turned off discharge slider in the bms.
SCP counts down from 60 seconds and doesnt blow another error.
Turned on discharge slider and BAM SCP blows again.
OK I think I have this figured out.

30 minutes down time was enough to drain the caps on the inverter (see where Im going?)
Turned slider for discharge off again. BMS reset to GTG at T MINUS 60 seconds and its happy.
Flipped main breaker to inverter OFF, turned slider inside jk bms to on or discharge again, no error.
Sooooo I took a small wire and ran it from the neg side of the battery (not other side of neg bms) to the neg terminal of inverter. FLASH-SPARK it starts charging caps slowly. Slow enough not to have a huge in-rush and trip SCP in the jk bms.
I wait 60 seconds and remove wire and re-touch, no spark. I quickly flip the breaker back on ito the inverter
AND HOLY FLEEPIN BATMAN it doesnt blow the SCP error.

It was the massive in-rush to the inverter caps blowing the SCP fuse inside the jk bms.

Back