diy solar

diy solar

Seplos BMV v3 serious component failures

shaunuk

Back in December I built four seplos mason boxes, with the new v3 bms, they were 200a models, 16s. I was excited to finally have a bms actually capable of active cell balancing.

I connected one up to a single Quattro which was already capacitors charged by a mppt so there was no inrush current. As with all new batteries I backed the current limits down to about 50a and fired it up. All good. Then as I increased the current limit to about 150a and it started to smoke. The smell was of the electronics 'magic smoke' verity. But I was very nervous. Having build hundred of batteries in the last few years, this was the first failure involving potentially a fire.

This is not ideal, by the time I noticed the smoke, I was at 150a and it was really smoking. As a heavy unit this is not something you want to see as its not easy to get out of the building in a rapid pace.

I took the mason box apart and saw the faulty components were cracked, its the components that cross the board between the mosfets. I disconnected the board from the cells with haste.

At this point it was a one off, but I had three more, so I connected up two more masons in parallel this time and did the same test, again, smoke from both batteries when I goto about 80-100a I guess - per battery. Oh dear, this time I knew it was the boards not the cells, so I was in less of a panic, but its still not good. I was not going to try the fourth one. I had to get 20 or so batteries built in December but couldn't continue with the v3. I had no choice but to go back to the v2, so here I am with a three month delay and batteries running on the v2.... But no magic smoke or fire risk...

For those 2-3 months I worried that I had done something wrong, but they were all built well and seplos just said it was my fault, I asked how it was my fault and they said you mush have shorted the bms. Well, this was not the case, I told them it happened not at 50a but at about 150a or some where in-between.

I asked if they had actually tested the new bms's with higher currents, as its a 200a bms you would hope they are testing with over 200a obviously. They didn't answer, so thats a no in my book - I dont think they are testing the bms's any where near the current limits they are designed for.

I busied my self with the v2 bms's and worried all over Christmas and really, until the end of feb when I came across some one else who also had a failed v3, same component, but their board went unnoticed for a period and there must have been a flame of some sort. Now i'm more relieved because it wasn't something I did.

I should have kept on pestering seplos until I had an answer but ive been very busy for the last few months, in the back of my head worrying about these v3s. But now I know its not isolated to me I want to let others know. Be careful at higher currents. In fact, until seplos give us some actual information, I would avoid the v3 entirely. God knows how many v3 are out in the wild getting hot and waiting to catch fire. Its not an isolated incident. Be very careful.

Unfortunately I wanted to swap over to the JK inverter bms, but around Christmas that had its own safety concerns regarding overcharging cells.

Not great. Whats the next stage. Shall I keep pestering seplos, say its not an isolated incident and they need to let all there v3 customers know. Is there a regulator in china for this sort of kit ?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-03-08 at 07.12.10-3.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-08 at 07.12.10-3.jpeg
    493.7 KB · Views: 66
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-08 at 07.12.10-2.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-08 at 07.12.10-2.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 66
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-08 at 07.12.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-08 at 07.12.10.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Back in December I built four seplos mason boxes, with the new v3 bms, they were 200a models, 16s. I was excited to finally have a bms actually capable of active cell balancing.

I connected one up to a single Quattro which was already capacitors charged by a mppt so there was no inrush current. As with all new batteries I backed the current limits down to about 50a and fired it up. All good. Then as I increased the current limit to about 150a and it started to smoke. The smell was of the electronics 'magic smoke' verity. But I was very nervous. Having build hundred of batteries in the last few years, this was the first failure involving potentially a fire.

This is not ideal, by the time I noticed the smoke, I was at 150a and it was really smoking. As a heavy unit this is not something you want to see as its not easy to get out of the building in a rapid pace.

I took the mason box apart and saw the faulty components were cracked, its the components that cross the board between the mosfets. I disconnected the board from the cells with haste.

At this point it was a one off, but I had three more, so I connected up two more masons in parallel this time and did the same test, again, smoke from both batteries when I goto about 80-100a I guess - per battery. Oh dear, this time I knew it was the boards not the cells, so I was in less of a panic, but its still not good. I was not going to try the fourth one. I had to get 20 or so batteries built in December but couldn't continue with the v3. I had no choice but to go back to the v2, so here I am with a three month delay and batteries running on the v2.... But no magic smoke or fire risk...

For those 2-3 months I worried that I had done something wrong, but they were all built well and seplos just said it was my fault, I asked how it was my fault and they said you mush have shorted the bms. Well, this was not the case, I told them it happened not at 50a but at about 150a or some where in-between.

I asked if they had actually tested the new bms's with higher currents, as its a 200a bms you would hope they are testing with over 200a obviously. They didn't answer, so thats a no in my book - I doing think they are testing the bms's any where near the current limits they are designed for.

I busied my self with the v2 bms's and worried all over Christmas and really, until the end of feb when I came across some one else who also had a failed v3, same component, but their board went unnoticed for a period and there must have been a flame of some sort. Now i'm more relieved because it wasn't something I did.

I should have kept on pestering seplos until I had an answer but ive been very busy for a few months, in the back of my head worrying about these v3s. But now I know its not isolated to me I want to let others know. Be careful at higher currents. In fact, until seplos give us some actual information, I would avoid the v3 entirely. God knows how many v3 are out in the wild getting hot and waiting to catch fire. Its not an isolated incident. Be very careful.

Unfortunately I wanted to swap over to the JK inverter bms, but around Christmas that had its own safety concerns regarding overcharging cells.

Not great. Whats the next stage. Shall I keep pestering seplos, say its not an isolated incident and they need to let all there v3 customers know. Is there a regulator in china for this sort of kit ?
I'd stick with the v2's ( but I am biast) , and demand a partial refund on the v3's

Had similar issues, and others when I tested the v3's , which is why I steer clear from them

Last edited:
Hello, I am Colin, the salesperson of Seplos. Can you give me your email or WhatsAPP number? In this way we can check the problem of BMS for you, if you can provide the invoice sent to you when our company orders, then we can provide you with after-sales service.

Or you can also contact me
Email: colin@seplos.com

Hello, I am Colin, the salesperson of Seplos. Can you give me your email or WhatsAPP number? In this way we can check the problem of BMS for you, if you can provide the invoice sent to you when our company orders, then we can provide you with after-sales service.

Or you can also contact me
Email: colin@seplos.com
Hi Colin,

Im glad you're available for discussion, this is very encouraging.

Before I get into any details, could you tell me if there has been a component failure, or design failure in the new v3 seplos bms's which leads to a fire ?

Our model number is BMS16S200A-SP18B 231021-0023 which you can see in the photo above.

Here is another incidence for reference.

If course this is a bad situation, but we all want to protect the industry and make sure nothing like this can happen again, we also need to rebuild the confidence of people that previously trusted seplos, but cant at the moment, which includes myself.

To move forward we need to know

1. Are seplos aware of the issue

2. Have Seplos identified and fixed the issue, if so, what part numbers have the corrected components ? I would be happy to test the bms again at higher current levels as we have the equipment to do so and seplos probably do not.

3. At the moment, there are some quantity of these dangerous BMS's in circulation round the world, lets call at 1000 units, have Seplos tracked down those dangerous BMS's and recalled them before some one gets hurt or killed ?

Looking forward to helping you resolve this situation

Shaun

Attachments

• IMG_8261-1.jpg
    IMG_8261-1.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 44
@shaunuk

Shaun, i contacted Fogstar yesterday and made them aware of your concerns on this forum, they have a 'direct line' to Seplos, hopefully this has resulted in the above email from Colin. Just to be CLEAR to others, can you confirm Fogstar UK were NOT your supplier, they are just trying to help get this matter resolved ! PS - i am just a customer of Fogstar, i have no financial interest etc with the company!

thanks for posting your experiences of the V3, i passed them on to someone who is currently installing batteries using the same BMS.

@shaunuk

As above if you kindly confirm your supplier would be great, I also have one of those latest V3 and ready to be put in service. Problem is, I’m helping a friend out and he’s not knowledgeable enough to disconnect it if necessary. Mine came from Fogstar as a kit, hope they don’t have this weak batch.

嗨科林,

我很高兴您能参与讨论,这非常令人鼓舞。

在我介绍任何细节之前,您能否告诉我,新的 v3 seplos BMS 中是否存在组件故障或设计故障而导致火灾?

我们的型号是 BMS16S200A-SP18B 231021-0023,您可以在上面的照片中看到。

这里还有一个案例可供参考。

如果这当然是一个糟糕的情况,但我们都想保护这个行业并确保类似的事情不会再次发生,我们还需要重建那些以前信任seplos但目前不能的人们的信心,其中包括我自己。

为了前进,我们需要知道

1. seplos是否意识到这个问题

2. Seplos 是否已识别并解决了该问题?如果是,那么哪些零件号具有更正的组件?我很乐意在更高的电流水平下再次测试 BMS,因为我们有这样做的设备,而 seplos 可能没有。

3. 目前,这些危险的BMS在全球范围内流通,数量有1000台,Seplos是否已追踪到这些危险的BMS并在有人受伤或死亡之前将其召回?

期待帮助您解决此情况

肖恩
Hello Shawnook

I will contact you through my Binlin account. I am a technical engineer at seplos. I am

We are battery manufacturer and BMS manufacturer. We have produced 3,000 sets of 3.0BMS batteries without any abnormalities.
The TVS tube does not work during charging and discharging. TVS tubes only work when there is high voltage externally. If the TVS tube does not work during large current discharge, this component will not be burned out.
Can you check the charging voltage of your charger?

Take a look at your usage environment. Let us better analyze the reasons why bms will burn out

It would be best if you could send these four bms back to us and we will analyze further and see what the reason is.
You can also contact me directly via email alan@seplos.com

Last edited:
Hi Alan,

Thanks for posting here, it's encouraging to see some correspondence from Seplos.

To be clear, all I want is to make sure people are safe and that we can trust the bms as its literally the main thing between safety and danger. Im happy and willing to test things to help where I can. We have access to lots of different inverters and can test bms's up to about 400a if needs be.

Could you explain what a TVS tubs is ? Is it the component on the bms we have seen that is burning out ?

No one seems to have this problem with the V2, and we have also not had the problem with the v2 since going back to them under the same conditions, so it seems its a fault in the design of the v3.

I'm happy to post these back to you, but I would like to know if you have already addressed the problem or have a hunch what it might be, that way we can try to recreate the situation and then have a test case to use in the future.

For your information, we use victron inverters to test the equipment with a charge voltage of 57v and a low voltage cutoff at 48v. Its unlikely we would have been outside of this voltage due to those parameters being in place.

Also, the bms is supposed to protect the cells from things like an external short circuit, over current etc, so even if there was an external event out side of those parameters, the bms should not fail.

Can you tell me if you have tested the v3 version I described in the first post ? It worked at low currents below 100a, but failed at some point above 100a, but below 200a which its rated for.

Until the problem is identified and fixed, my advise to people is to avoid unattended use, get a thermal camera and inspect the bms at high currents, basically when its at your maximum expected current - how hot is it getting. And certainly dont go above 100a if you must use it.

Alan, are there any batch numbers we should look out for and anything we can do in the mean time to be safe ?

Shaunuk,
I recommend to stop making aquisitions like:
1) Seplos doesn't test their BMS's at the rated current
2) there is a technical problem with Seplos BMS3.0
based on 1 situation/environment... it looks like the TVS (Transient Voltage Suppressor) diodes are burned. These are on the BMS as a protection against voltage spikes. It seems the most logical reason there is an external factor in play.

As I see in the posts above, Seplos is trying to get in touch with you to get a better understanding of the problem, maybe first go through this before conclusions are made.
I arrived in this thread because other forums are already copying this. Before you know it, the internet screams "don't use Seplos BMS3.0 anymore!" because of some other reason.
Edit: I'm in no way related to Seplos btw :p

Shaunuk,
I recommend to stop making aquisitions like:
1) Seplos doesn't test their BMS's at the rated current
2) there is a technical problem with Seplos BMS3.0
based on 1 situation/environment... it looks like the TVS (Transient Voltage Suppressor) diodes are burned. These are on the BMS as a protection against voltage spikes. It seems the most logical reason there is an external factor in play.

As I see in the posts above, Seplos is trying to get in touch with you to get a better understanding of the problem, maybe first go through this before conclusions are made.
I arrived in this thread because other forums are already copying this. Before you know it, the internet screams "don't use Seplos BMS3.0 anymore!" because of some other reason.
Edit: I'm in no way related to Seplos btw :p
Hi Berke,

Unfortunately i'm not in a position to acquire Seplos just yet ;)

I think you meant accusations, on the contrary, i'm asking the questions in a public and open fashion to ascertain how big a safety concern this is.

I would be delighted if i've made a mistake and all is well. Unfortunately when you have built as many batteries as I have, you get a feel for whats working well and whats not and I tend to think a device thats able to catch fire, unattended - and which serves as a safety device between thousands of amps and a say, a home full of children... should not in fact be able to be the cause of these sorts of problems - so I tend to air on the side of caution.

You may have noticed, i've asked some open and easy to answer questions, such as: have you tested the bms's at currents they are designed for - and had no answer. Surely the answer is simple, yes we have tested them, or no we didn't. The only responses I get are to take the conversation private. Except when you take the conversation private it doesn't go anywhere.

At least this way there is a public record and if someone gets hurt, as I may have, when our three batteries started to heavily smoke, and so have others... we made efforts to let Seplos know. I will be able to sleep better at night having tried to find some answers, rather than letting the issue go and then hearing of something more serious in the future.

Im more than happy to accept its my fault, but as its happened to others... It's probably not.

I will make contact with Seplos again, hopefully this will serve as to give me some weight in the arguments to come.

When the JK inverter bms firmware LFP overcharging issue cropped up a few months back, it was exactly the wide spread info on forums and Youtube that caused JK to fix the problem, and all was well. In fact I think people were given more confidence in the product when they quickly fixed the issue.

I hope the gods of magic smoke dont come to visit you as they have me, it does not make for good sleep.

If I hear anything back on this I will post back here

For the electro-curious, TVS diodes are there to do... almost nothing. They don't conduct electricity in either direction until the voltage goes above a certain point. They are meant to dissipate a quick voltage spike that might otherwise damage nearby components. The ones pictured here appear to be in the 5KP series which are rated to dissipate up to 5kW, for 1 millisecond.
I'm curious to learn how these components would burn up just because the BMS was operating at higher load. Perhaps they are part of a batch that is mis-printed or otherwise defective. Maybe it's even a mechanical damage issue. I have a Seplos battery on order so I'll be watching.

Just an anecdote - I have 3 x battery banks with Seplos V3 BMS and I have tested those individually at 180+ A continuous charge/ discharge rate for extended period without any issue. The only complaint I have with this BMS is the reported SoC never matches my shunt, but that seems to be a general issue with most of the BMS's out there.

Can you elaborate on the 'similar issues' you experienced? I think this would help the community to determine the scope of the problems.
I mentioned my issues with the V3 over multiple topics and my reasoning staying on the v2..
Do a search

I have gone through all your comments going back to July last year, but could not find any specific testing you have done on the V3. And darn, you make a lot of (useful) comments. Maybe the summary that the search function provides filtered out the relevant input. Your July posts suggest you did not have a V3 available at the time, so I stopped my search there.

Ha thought I did have some written down
Here's a short list
- unstable / weird behavior at high amp discharge
- unstable / weird behavior at high amp charge
- passive balancing doesn't come on at times
- non configurable active balancer / always on
- not backward compatible with V2/v1
- quirky software
- cell protection sometime enables even at moderate voltages
- weird behavior when stacked/paralleled together
- comm fails/odd behavior to my deye/sunsynk/sol-ark inverters both on rs485 and canbus

Remember I tested these when they first came out, so maybe firmware has improved, but in my case it made absolutely no sense to invest in replacing my existing 8 v2/neey combo's, especially given above mentioned weird behaviors

@houseofancients

how useful is the neey with the v2 ? is it a big plus or is it just nice to have?
I don't do nice to have ;)
I guess it depends on many factors :
- charge voltage
- cell quality
- build quality

And more.
So far haven't been active after the initial balance, and the passive balancer keeps them nicely in balance, however as cells get older that might change.
Currently have 10 mason's , and they are mounted in 42u 19" server racks.
Since these weight 115 kg / 220 lbs and with my luck a cell will get bad in the most difficult to reach enclosure, I put the neey's in by default.
120 euro per enclose isn't much if it saves my back/body

Back