diy solar

diy solar

SEPLOS Mason Kit and LF280K with v3 Active balancer

jassdhali

Hi,

As title suggests I have assembled a Seplos battery pack with a v3 active balancer.
Just waiting on cable to setup up BMS & a few cables for my Sunsynk 5kW inverter.

I was recommended to use a Neey 4A Active balancer, this was before I realised I had one on the Seplos system
I have assembled the battery pack & all the wiring as required, as to set a baseline, due to the fact that I have never put one together before.

Having the Neey balancer in hand. I wanted to remove the wiring for the Seplos active balancer, but I have a connector lead going from the BMS to the v3 balancer,.
This lead is referred to as the 'dry contact wire' on the instructions.

1709579268451.png

My question is will this have any impact on the BMS if I leave this wire off to isolate the v3 balancer.

I hope this makes some sense :)
Thanks for your time.

Jass

west midlands ..... did you buy from Fogstar? im sure Ben or Becca would help if you phoned them ...

No, that’s just a trigger to enable active balancing. That port is unused for assemblies without active balancer, which is what you want since Neey can be controlled independently.

Thanks for the replies, so just to move to next concern.

Am I right in thinking I would be able to reduce the length of some of the NEEY balancer wires?
Just so that it doesn't look like a jungle in the battery box?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, so just to move to next concern.

Am I right in thinking I would be able to reduce the length of some of the NEEY balancer wires?
Just so that it doesn't look like a jungle in the battery box?
Not a problem.

How bad are your cells you need a 4a?

Or are you planning on a high C discharge?

No, that’s just a trigger to enable active balancing. That port is unused for assemblies without active balancer, which is what you want since Neey can be controlled independently.
Is it possible to set up the 3.0 system in a way that the Seplos active balancer is only activated manually? Assuming that Andy's concern that the Seplos active balancer has a non adjustable starting voltage that's too low to facilitate an efficient balancing if active all the time? From scanning the manual, I had assumed that the active balancer would only be started manually, but I just saw a Seplos YouTube video that suggests that it is also triggered automatically, but through the BMS. Does anyone know when the 3.0 bms triggers the active balancer? And whether this trigger effectively prevents it from starting at a voltage where it is not actualy useful?

In essence I guess I'm trying to determine whether perhaps Andy's judgement of the device is too harsh (because of his assumptions that the active balancer would always be on and monitoring, just as the Neey does, which I doubt in case of Seplos's documentation) , and it is in fact a useful device if just triggered in certain circumstances. The Neey perhaps just has a different approach, where it continuously monitors, and is not externally triggered?

Last edited:
I will be trying both, but have been advised NEEY is better
Is there factual evidence for that? I fear that the judgement of the product is mainly based on a vocal YouTuber, that may have used an incorrect assumption (that the balancer would always be active, and thus would start balancing when the minimal voltage in the specifications would be reached) in his judgement and has not actually used the product in practice? And to be clear, I admire said YouTuber and appreciate his content.

Is it possible to set up the 3.0 system in a way that the Seplos active balancer is only activated manually? Assuming that Andy's concern that the Seplos active balancer has a non adjustable starting voltage that's too low to facilitate an efficient balancing if active all the time? From scanning the manual, I had assumed that the active balancer would only be started manually, but I just saw a Seplos YouTube video that suggests that it is also triggered automatically, but through the BMS. Does anyone know when the 3.0 bms triggers the active balancer? And whether this trigger effectively prevents it from starting at a voltage where it is not actualy useful?

In essence I guess I'm trying to determine whether perhaps Andy's judgement of the device is too harsh (because of his assumptions that the active balancer would always be on and monitoring, just as the Neey does, which I doubt in case of Seplos's documentation) , and it is in fact a useful device if just triggered in certain circumstances. The Neey perhaps just has a different approach, where it continuously monitors, and is not externally triggered?
Yes, just use a switch instead of the dry contact interface on BMS.

The starting voltage is set via the dry contact switch
So in a way Andy is wrong (its not often but has been a few times)

Hi, I have two of the BMS v3.0 with the active balancer, the dry contact activates with an alarm state, total high pack voltage, I seem to remember but the actual balancer settings can't be changed so you still need a 50mv deviation for the balancer to start and it will turn off at 30mv deviation, so it's not great for top balancing a battery and between 30mv and say 10mv you will then have to rely on the passive balancer in the BMS.

I had hoped that it would activate and deactivate based on the configured BMS settings, that would seem very simple to have implemented, you also can't configure the dry contact function so it is only a single trigger. You also have no details about the balancer function other than hearing the click clack when it operates and the light on the switch turning solid blue.

In practise I see a peak deviation of 30-40mv at 56v pack voltage and the balancer never cuts in, this does make something like the neey a more configurable option, I would need to push the pack voltage higher in normal use to use the seplos balancer, I have ordered a neey to try as a more useful solution to keep the pack in check without regular high voltage charging.

The setup also has to have the manual switch which is a momentary type that activates the balancer for a number of hours in standby (blue flashing light) for the dry contact to work, without the switch seplos told me the dry contact wouldn't work.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience. So in practice the product is not quite as worthless as was suggested on YouTube, and the trigger mechanism works quite well. If you already have it included in your case, is it really worth the extra expense to get a NEEY? How much benefit will you get from the last 30-40mV, that, as you noted, will also be addressed by the passive balancing. Honest question.

Back