diy solar

diy solar

Seplos V3 force charge

HughF

I've got a Seplos mason 280L case, fitted with EVE304 cells, top balanced before assembly, it has a V3 BMS. I do not have the PC software, yet.

My inverter/charger is a Sunsynk 3.6kW (what a piece of s**t this thing is, but anyway), I'm having trouble getting the BMS to request a charge from the Sunsynk.

I feed the Sunsynk with power from my generator, I set the Sunsynk to 'use' the generator input and the transfer switch flips over, but unless my %SOC is down in the 5% range, and I see 'bulk charge requested' on the 'Li-Ion BMS' page in the Sunsynk menu, it doesn't charge. It's as if there is a setting in the BMS that is not requesting a charge from the Sunsynk.

EDIT: I know that the charge fet is closed as I can charge the pack from my 48v rectifier just fine, and it will happily charge up till cell hi-volt cutoff. It just won't request a charge from the Inverter. Obviously I would like to let the Sunsynk take control of the generator and charging, but I'd also like it to charge if I manually start the generator for other uses.

I'm coming at this with years of Outback AGS experience, running off-grid using a DIY'd LFP pack, that was using Batrium. So I know what I'm doing, but I'm stuck at this hurdle. Not helped by poor documentation from Sunsynk, and Seplos...

Last edited:
If this crappy inverter gives me any more grief then I guess the answer is to use a Cerbo GX to interface my battery to my generator 2-wire start (the cerbo can talk pylontech to my battery), and go back to using my Outback VFX for inverter/charger duties...

I only went with the Sunsynk as it was cheap and allowed me to setup a new system alongside the old and move the loads over as I got round to it...

Here’s the issue…. The Sunsynk called for generator start 6.1hrs ago (I have it on manual at the moment, don’t have the 2-wire start hooked up), I started the genset manually when I got home just now, transfer switch has moved the loads over, yet the battery isn’t requesting a charge….

Attachments

• IMG_4402.jpeg
    IMG_4402.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4403.jpeg
    IMG_4403.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4404.jpeg
    IMG_4404.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 16
The fact that you ( and/or your installer) are clueless how these inverters work, don't make these crappy ( maybe do a forum search on sol-ark/deye..
They are the same devices.

May I suggest you first look and understand the installer course that is publicly available on YouTube ?
I would pay extra attention to the TOU settings

If you have questions after those, I'd be happy to help

No, I stand by my assertion that these are crap…. It’s an infinitely inferior product to the Outback, especially when it comes to surge rating…. Anyway, I’ll see if I can figure this out. My TOU settings are set to accept the generator input and to charge to 100% during normal non-quiet-time hours.

No, I stand by my assertion that these are crap…. It’s an infinitely inferior product to the Outback, especially when it comes to surge rating…. Anyway, I’ll see if I can figure this out. My TOU settings are set to accept the generator input and to charge to 100% during normal non-quiet-time hours.
That is fine, if you have surge issues, you simply spec'ed the inverter wrong, or you cheaper out..

That is fine, if you have surge issues, you simply spec'ed the inverter wrong, or you cheaper out..
Outback vfx3048e, happy running at 3.8kW for ages….. 3.6kW Sunsynk (yes, I know it’s transformer-less) won’t carry 3.8kW for anything like its rated surge time of 10secs…. It really is a bit crap in comparison.

Anyway, TOU settings are bypassed for now, and I’ve requested 100% charge, 24/7.

As I said, when I did get it to charge, it was when my battery was reporting low soc to the inverter.

Edit: looks like you have to enable ‘grid charge’ to get it to charge, even with the generator connected to the aux load port, set as gen input.

Pudging around in the menu has got it charging. Shouldn’t have to be this hard, shocking documentation.

Last edited:
Outback vfx3048e, happy running at 3.8kW for ages….. 3.6kW Sunsynk (yes, I know it’s transformer-less) won’t carry 3.8kW for anything like its rated surge time of 10secs…. It really is a bit crap in comparison.

Anyway, TOU settings are bypassed for now, and I’ve requested 100% charge, 24/7 - still can’t get it to charge.

As I said, when I did get it to charge, it was when my battery was reporting low soc to the inverter.
And yet, instead of complaining, you haven't followed the installer courses..

And yet, instead of complaining, you haven't followed the installer courses..
If the documentation was up to spec, I wouldn’t need to. I didn’t need to for all my outback kit and I shouldn’t need to for this either. I’m well aware of how this stuff works and should be wired and configured.

Not my first rodeo.

Something else worth mentioning in case someone comes to this in the future, if you manually start the genset and want to charge, it won't switch over the transfer switch and start charging unless you %SOC is below the level that you set 'Gen load ON batt %' to.

This is unexpected behaviour, yes I can understand that it won't call for a gen start unless it's below this %, but it should at least accept gen input and switch over if presented with it on the gen input, irrespective of whether it's below this %SOC.

Gen start and charging from a gen should not be tied together using the same internal variable in the firmware.

I have a Sunsynk 5kw and more than pleased with it. I watched most of the videos on line and only struggled where I missed a step. It was down to me not following the instructions that were available albeit they weren't specific to my setup (existing Feed in Tariff). I've had it up and running for over six months and it 'works' - what more could I need !!

Back