diy solar

diy solar

Battery active balancer - extra balancer in på with JK BMS 200A 16s (non-Inverter model)

I also got to build 2 extra soon... Need to figure out where to put the NEEY on these and probably will have to think about retrofit later to the other batteries 😔
I use a 3d printed holder, that I bold on to the pressure plate, middle screw
Leaves plenty of space for the BMS and cooling, but prevents stuff moving around

I use a 3d printed holder, that I bold on to the pressure plate, middle screw
Leaves plenty of space for the BMS and cooling, but prevents stuff moving around
I was thinking for the new battery of some plywood mounting plate... Old battery probably hanging somewhere... Aren't there some screw holes on the back of the NEEY?

The jk bms also has some tiny screw holes in the back...

Don't know these, so couldn't tell you how and if the jk works
Is this where you got your NEEY from ?

I think Andy from OffGridGarage mentioned HankzorBMS Store or something similar in his youtube videos. Yet, from his website, the links point to "NEEY Official Store" which only sold a few items and with only 2 review.

Compare that to HankzorBMS Store with 700+ sold and almost 100 reviews.

Not sure what to do :unsure:

OK, bought 2 NEEY from Hankzor Shop. Let's hope for the best. Apparently they are in stock in EU warehouse (Poland) so it should arrive quite fast ...

had my 2 last ones in 5 working days :)
It arrived very quickly ... Now to figure out how to mount it.

I see for instance PCBWing is offering some 3D printing service which doesn't appear to be that expensive (~15 EUR / each holder). And there were a few 3D stl files on thingsverse and similar sites. But of course it's probably another case of the shipping/VAT/duties costing more than the product itself ...

But I now have a separate question ... Protection wise. In case of internal fault to the NEEY (e.g. Blown Supercapacitor, Blown MOSFET ending in short-circuit, ...) what is in place to prevent the whole battery to go BOOM ? I'm especially worried about failure modes resulting in Cell Overvoltage and Cell Undervoltage.

Depending where you put your NEEY (on the battery side or inverter side), either way, the NEEY power supply is derived either internally (from battery itself) or externally (from another battery, charger, or inverter). And even in case of BMS disconnection, it would still get the power either internally or externally.

AND, even if power supply is cut off, due to the internal failure mode described, I am not so sure that it still will not result in a huge disaster.

I already have fused terminal blocks in place so I would *hope* (not a good design ...) that in an event of blown capacitor or MOSFET in short-circuit you would get enough current (> 10A) to melt the fuse quite quickly (on the individual balance leads), as the NEEY would have then "lost control" of the power electronics.

The other option was to cut off the Power Supply using a Contactor or Shunt Trip Unit for a Breaker.

Any ideas ?

Last edited:
It arrived very quickly ... Now to figure out how to mount it.

I see for instance PCBWing is offering some 3D printing service which doesn't appear to be that expensive (~15 EUR / each holder). And there were a few 3D stl files on thingsverse and similar sites. But of course it's probably another case of the shipping/VAT/duties costing more than the product itself ...

But I now have a separate question ... Protection wise. In case of internal fault to the NEEY (e.g. Blown Supercapacitor, Blown MOSFET ending in short-circuit, ...) what is in place to prevent the whole battery to go BOOM ? I'm especially worried about failure modes resulting in Cell Overvoltage and Cell Undervoltage.

Depending where you put your NEEY (on the battery side or inverter side), either way, the NEEY power supply is derived either internally (from battery itself) or externally (from another battery, charger, or inverter). And even in case of BMS disconnection, it would still get the power either internally or externally.

AND, even if power supply is cut off, due to the internal failure mode described, I am not so sure that it still will not result in a huge disaster.

I already have fused terminal blocks in place so I would *hope* (not a good design ...) that in an event of blown capacitor or MOSFET in short-circuit you would get enough current (> 10A) to melt the fuse quite quickly (on the individual balance leads), as the NEEY would have then "lost control" of the power electronics.

The other option was to cut off the Power Supply using a Contactor or Shunt Trip Unit for a Breaker.

Any ideas ?

? What are you talking about? Look at the bottom and tell me what are those tiny little things near those wires.
1711196484577.png

? What are you talking about? Look at the bottom and tell me what are those tiny little things near those wires.
View attachment 203931
So it is already fused ? I didn't know that :oops:.

Do you know the specifics of that fuse ?

I also fused the JK BMS Leads for that matter. You are going to tell me those are also already fused 😅 ?

So it is already fused ? I didn't know that :oops:.

Do you know the specifics of that fuse ?

I also fused the JK BMS Leads for that matter. You are going to tell me those are also already fused 😅 ?
Yes....JK-BMS and NEEY/ENERKEY have fuses on each sense/balance line. If it is blown, you gonna need a good soldering skill to replace it.
Even Heltec 5A capacitive active balancer have fuses on each lines.

However....you need to beware of certain Heltec 5A look alike clone, these clones don't even have fuse at all.

Here some quick screenshot from Andy Offgrid garage teardown of JKBMS.
1711199606303.png

See....even the battery pack negative part also have fuses

The sense wire part for older jkbms version
Notice all small fuses in the video for the sense/balance wires?

Last edited:
Yes....JK-BMS and NEEY/ENERKEY have fuses on each sense/balance line. If it is blown, you gonna need a good soldering skill to replace it.
Even Heltec 5A capacitive active balancer have fuses on each lines.

However....you need to beware of certain Heltec 5A look alike clone, these clones don't even have fuse at all.
Well, I guess the external fuse is still good practice to protect a fault on the wire itself.

But good to know also the JK BMS (old style, WITHOUT inverter communication) has the fuse. Do you have a screenshot to share ?

I kinda feel a bit stupid to have gone through all this trouble with the external fuses now :fp

Back