diy solar

diy solar

Seplos battery age issue

User#123

Hello all,

I would like to share my experience I had when buying 2 seplos mason 6.9 battery kits.
This battery was extensively reviewed by Andy from the Off-grid garage youtube channel, really nice channel btw:)
Andy found the cells he'd received were quite old, so I was warned:

Since I liked the battery design overall, had a BMS with upgradable FW, I contacted Seplos directly to find out the pricing options of the 135Ah and 280Ah version.
After some back and fourth communication decided to go for two 135A batteries, instead of a single 280Ah, as the 135Ah can still be handled by a single person.
Since I was warned by Andy, I asked explicitly for them to guaranty the batteries would be brand new, so definitely not the outdated batteries Andy got.
I also forwarded the link to the YT video, explaining Seplos why my awareness was raised on the battery age.
They agreed to this and confirmed: "Now the batteries we use are brand new and fresh, no outdated stock".
This convinced me it was now relatively safe to place the order, which I then did.

After 3 weeks of manufacturing turnaround time and 2 months of oversees shipment, the batteries finally arrived the beginning of this year.
I was off course eager to find out the date of the batteries, and sadly the outcome of the QR check was not as expected, far from it.
The production dates vary from June 2019 to November 2019, so 3 - 3.5 year old batteries had been delivered.
With serial numbers and dates varying wildly, not part of a single batch what was to be expected as well.
Than the discussion, better say the gaslighting began:

Their response on my finding:

I reported this matter to the leader, and he said there is no problem with the batteries. We have tested everything and everything is normal.
The batteries are new, it's just that the storage time is relatively long, but it will not affect normal use, and the warranty period of the batteries is one year.

Then I reminded them of the deal we made:" Now the batteries we use are brand new and fresh, no outdated stock". I asked for sending me new batteries as agreed.

Their response:
I have given feedback to the leadership about the battery.
He said that the batteries have been stored for a certain period of time, but everything is normal, they have not been used.
They al tested fine when we made the batteries.

So I asked for the test results:

I have been communicating with the leader on this matter, I hope I can give you a satisfactory answer.
I asked the engineer for inspection reports, QR codes, and pictures, but he has been busy recently and has not responded to me.

A while and few reminders later:
We have not received the test report from the battery manufacturer. The battery cells are purchased from the middle of the previous year, and most of them are from 2019.
However, after our testing, the data of the battery cells are all in the qualified range. The batteries we purchased will be well kept, they will be fully charged and placed, and will be tested again before shipment.

I explained that batteries are aging also when keeping them in storage and send them this paper: "Calendar Aging and Lifetimes of LiFePO4 Batteries and Considerations for Repurposing" by John Catton. This paper explains the 2 mechanisms; calendar and cycle aging.

They then offered to send me replacement cells but only of lower capacity 100Ah, as new 135A cells were not available anymore.

I could not accept that, where I payed for new 135Ah cells, I gave them another option:
Indeed on the cells manufacturers website the 135Ah cells are not listed anymore, but a 150Ah model is available: http://en.ihigee.com/product/11.html.
This one has almost identical dimensions, only a few mm more in height, but that would still easily fit in the casing according to my measurements.
Than when these can be supplied; brand new and fresh from the factory to replace my outdated ones, that would be a really good option.
Before you say; but wait these have more capacity than what you have bought.........
Than please consider this as compensation for all the trouble and hassle this issue is causing me.

They came back:
I have been looking for the best way to help you solve the problem, and I have communicated with my boss many times, but he does not agree to give you 32 150ah batteries, because the cost is too high.
So we have also decided the final solution, which is to apply for you Refund to make up for the battery problem this time.

Than long story short, on the refund they low balled me, my request was 3/9 (avg age/lifetime avg.) of the amount which I paid for only the batteries, and they offered me only half of that. Which for me was not (yet) acceptable, and asked for better offer and that is also where the communication ended abruptly, no counter offer nothing, I send them a reminder with no response anymore.

Resume after 4 months of mail discussions, sending many many reminders, basically dragging a dead horse, being gaslighted over the agreements made, I finally gave up.

Since I did not get any refund or compensation what so ever, I feel totally inclined to put this story out in the world and make you all aware of the battery sales strategy of Seplos.
They sell NOS (new Old Stock), at least for the 135Ah cells, and making you believe they are (as) new.
Even when knowing this and explicitly asking for new batteries on forehand which they agree too, in the end they will break that promise, so be aware.
When you find out they are not new, they gaslight the annoyance out off you, that you in the end will give up.

This is then my story for the 135Ah cells.
What experiences do some of you have with your battery age, when you also have bought from Seplos, similar experiences?
Or did some of you really get new cells?
I doubt whether this is really possible as said the manufacturer is not listing them.

Looking forward hearing all about your stories!!!

Well that is too bad, but not surprising, if you don't get a test report there is a reason why.

their story is also not consistent, clear sign of not being able to stick to the truth.
- First them "asked the engineer for inspection reports, QR codes, and pictures, but he has been busy recently and has not responded to me."
- then they blame not having received the test report from the battery manufacturer. The battery cells are purchased from the middle of the previous year, and most of them are from 2019.
- and then in the same response: However, after our testing, the data of the battery cells are all in the qualified range.
==>Then why not simply send me your own test data, and why BS me with not receiving any from the manufacturer????
==>So they were clearly aware the batteries were not new: "most of them were from 2019"
It is painful on my brain having to cope with all of this gaslighting, they must be having a bad case of cognitive dissonance now to come up with this BS to find their way out of the made agreement.

Reality is, Seplos is known for their BMS. When you start adding outside sources into their product, they don't have the same control. My experience, when I had issues with my 2 BMSs I purchased through them, they took care of it.

I'm not sure, but I thought the case was available without batteries. If so, my suggestion for others is to buy the case/bms from them if that's what you want, buy the batteries from a trusted source. If it costs more that way, there's probably a reason why.

I have not yet tested the capacity, I'm now building my battery connection box with integrated Victron smartshunt. When that is ready I will do the capacity test. Hopefully that will be soon........

Also interesting info in one of the latest videos from the Off-grid garage.
Seems like Seplos is not building (at least) their newest V3 BMS'es under their own name, seems like they source them from some unknown company and rebrand them. That is what Andy found when he tested the new V3 version:
1691068906359.png

I have not yet tested the capacity, I'm now building my battery connection box with integrated Victron smartshunt. When that is ready I will do the capacity test. Hopefully that will be soon........

Also interesting info in one of the latest videos from the Off-grid garage.
Seems like Seplos is not building (at least) their newest V3 BMS'es under their own name, seems like they source them from some unknown company and rebrand them. That is what Andy found when he tested the new V3 version:
View attachment 160819

So in reality , you are complaining about nothing

I believe the concern is over calendar aging. From the cited article

"The largest capacity loss within lithium-ion cells, due to calendar aging, occurs early in the life of the battery (when lithium concentration in battery is at its highest) and then they continue to lose capacity at a much more gradual rate from that point on. [23] The loss of capacity can bequite detrimental for the lifespan of the battery and its overall effectiveness. Within a cell there are two sets of processes that result in capacity loss in the cell with time (calendar aging). They are reversible and irreversible capacity loss"

So in reality , you are complaining about nothing
So as analogy, maybe you will understand better the problem I have with it; when you would buy a brand new car, explicitly ask for guaranty it being brand new, which you get, and find out after delivery and payment it is more then 3 years old, you would not complain?
Sure:)

So as analogy, maybe you will understand better the problem I have with it; when you would buy a brand new car, explicitly ask for guaranty it being brand new, which you get, and find out after delivery and payment it is more then 3 years old, you would not complain?
Sure:)
If it wasn't sold , it is new...

If it wasn't sold , it is new...
Everything ages and does not have infinite lifetime.
So 3 years matter, at least to me.
And it is also about breaking agreements, that is also a part you do not seem to get.
And that is also how it works with cars. Just try to resell your brand new car you just bought with 0 miles on it, you will find out how it matters:)

But in fairness, he more or less asked for the new model, not just new. I could have purchased my last car in a 2018 or 2019, both new on the lot. The 2018 didn't have the same features as the 2019.
I agree, but seplos is a BMS/enclosure builder, not a cell manufacturer, and they should have been very clear on that..

However, if nothing was tested, how can you in reality them make any complaints .
If the cells underperform , go at it, complain .
Calenders aging is something mythical and yet to be proven, all I know is :
I have hefty used calb plastic encased blue cell of different years ( earliest 2016) with over 6000 cycles estimated ( they were used when I got them) , that are still at 86% of the capacity..

But hey, if this anonymous wants to complain without any tests done, what ever

Reality is, Seplos is known for their BMS. When you start adding outside sources into their product, they don't have the same control. My experience, when I had issues with my 2 BMSs I purchased through them, they took care of it.

I'm not sure, but I thought the case was available without batteries. If so, my suggestion for others is to buy the case/bms from them if that's what you want, buy the batteries from a trusted source. If it costs more that way, there's probably a reason why.
Yup, thats the most cost effective also.
That said, my 135AH Masons do not have any issues as of yet. I bought them when they were first introduced, at the excellent introductory price of $1000 each, which included everything except shipping. (Kicking myself now. I should have bought more!) Shipping was also still reasonable back then for heavy batteries.

I have been dealing with Seplos for a while now, and all my transactions have been good.

If you demand brand new grade A batteries, are you prepared to pay double the price?

This is what has been promised:
Now the batteries we use are brand new and fresh, no outdated stock.
135A betteries Life cycle: 6000 times@0.5C charge/discharge 25±2℃, 80%DOD / 4000 times@1C charge/discharge 25±2℃, 80%DOD.

3-3.5 year old batteries at time of sale, are not brand new and fresh batteries, however you look at it.
I also forwarded them the youtube movie from off-grid garage explaining the batteries found to be too old.
And then now only looking at what is the delivered capacity, that is not relevant, they did not deliver what was agreed==> new batteries.

I only send my experience and opinion out in the world so people are informed and warned about it.
So if someone wants to buy in the mean while 3.5 - 4 year old batteries as brand new from Seplos, please go ahead.
And when someone thinks calender aging does not negatively or better said has zero impact on life cycles, that is also fine.

This is what has been promised:
Now the batteries we use are brand new and fresh, no outdated stock.
135A betteries Life cycle: 6000 times@0.5C charge/discharge 25±2℃, 80%DOD / 4000 times@1C charge/discharge 25±2℃, 80%DOD.

3-3.5 year old batteries at time of sale, are not brand new and fresh batteries, however you look at it.
I also forwarded them the youtube movie from off-grid garage explaining the batteries found to be too old.
And then now only looking at what is the delivered capacity, that is not relevant, they did not deliver what was agreed==> new batteries.

I only send my experience and opinion out in the world so people are informed and warned about it.
So if someone wants to buy in the mean while 3.5 - 4 year old batteries as brand new from Seplos, please go ahead.
And when someone thinks calender aging does not negatively or better said has zero impact on life cycles, that is also fine.
I am not saying Seplos is not at fault for sending you new but dated batteries. I am just relaying my experience with them to date.
That said, the cells you received would probably work fine for thousands of cycles. I understand your concerns, but if everything works fine, i personally would not be as worried.

There are folks building solar storage solutions from used old EV batteries, and they function just fine.

Yup, thats the most cost effective also.
That said, my 135AH Masons do not have any issues as of yet. I bought them when they were first introduced, at the excellent introductory price of $1000 each, which included everything except shipping. (Kicking myself now. I should have bought more!) Shipping was also still reasonable back then for heavy batteries.

I have been dealing with Seplos for a while now, and all my transactions have been good.

If you demand brand new grade A batteries, are you prepared to pay double the price?
Good to hear you have had good experiences with Seplos!!
1000,- bucks is also very good price, indeed if you would only have knew then what you know now:)
It seems when you bought them, the batteries were really new:)

On your question:
I expect only that what they promised to me, and they failed on that, and are not willing to admit it and correct for it.

I am not saying Seplos is not at fault for sending you new but dated batteries. I am just relaying my experience with them to date.
That said, the cells you received would probably work fine for thousands of cycles. I understand your concerns, but if everything works fine, i personally would not be as worried.

There are folks building solar storage solutions from used old EV batteries, and they function just fine.

I agree with you that the cell's will work for many years to come, correct.
To me it is all about making agreements and sticking to them.
I'm cutting my losses short, and now informing others so they can make a better informed choice upfront.

And what others are building and expecting is up to them and on the agreements they make with their suppliers.

So now you see why SOK and EG4 rack batteries are costing what they do, you will not find these types of issues with them.

So now you see why SOK and EG4 rack batteries are costing what they do, you will not find these types of issues with them.
The mason's prebuild and filled are more expensive than both.

Too expensive for what they are, which is why I only use their kits/bms

Back