diy solar

diy solar

Seplos BMS CAN values for energy stored

kenzo

I have been trying to discuss this with Seplos support, but it's really tough.
Can someone here who has a setup with more than one battery pack validate this issue on their end?
The BMS will report the amount of energy charged/discharged; in my case, these values seemed way too high, so I did a test:
- restricted the charge current to 40A
- configured ESS to "keep batteries charged"
- observed values from MP-II (charging with ~35-38A, so roughly 2kW)
The values reported by Seplos are between 5-6kWh per hour, so roughly three times as much as I'd expect. That multiplier of three is curious, since I have three batteries in a pack. I'd appreciate if someone here could check their own setup for similar deviation.
Upgraded the firmware to v2.8 as advised by Seplos support which didn't change anything.

This has been reported in another forum by other users as well, sounds like it has been introduced with firmware version 2.8.
Unfortunately, Seplos are saying this isn't a serious enough bug and it won't be fixed for the v14 hardware - when inquiring about firmware updates for v14 hardware related to other pending issues (like CVL/CCL not being set smoothly), the response from Seplos Sales has been this:
"Victron is just one of the compatible inverters brands. There is no reason for us to spend more effort on updating the firmware for special one brand, especially when the 2.8 firmware has been mostly repaired the problems"
Support is saying this:
"I don't think it will be fixed because we don't produce the previous BMS anymore, only the new version unless there is a major error."
If only they would open source the firmware ...

@kenzo
I came across your threads after observing CCL on my system ...

At this stage I only have a single battery pack (second one on order), and I'm using V16 200A BMS hardware with 16.4 firmware version.
Not the same as your system, however, I'm also seeing some issues with CCL values being sent on CAN to Victron Cerbo.

The CCL value appears to be set to exactly one-half of the "Charging overcurrent warning"parameter #50 of the BMS.

50Charging overcurrent warning180.00A

which in this case means the CCL is therefore 90A. I can increase the parameter #50 to a maximum of 200A, which results in a CCL of 100A, but thats the maximum. So with 300Ah cells in the system, I'm restricted to charging up to 0.33C.

That's probably just fine, as long as when I add the second battery unit the CCL is also doubled. Do you know if that happens like that?

This looks to be exactly what I discovered too - the charge limit was half of "Charging overcurrent warning". I asked Alan (alan@seplos.com) and he sent me firmware v2.7, while I was on 2.9 from the factory. This has removed halving, but now it seems that the bms does not auto calculate its capacity on full discharge.
Is there a place where different firmwares can be downloaded, guys? Thanks.

Back