diy solar

diy solar

Seplos BMS not allowing discharge. Need help.

dusball

Thanks for looking.

I really have avoided coming here but I'm out of options- Internet has been no help; Seplos has been no help.

Small bit of background:
Off Grid for 14 years, from a previous Solar on-grid system for 12 years before that. This is not my first rodeo- I dont know everything but I not a complete NooB either.

I recently ordered a DIY Mason System from China- with a Seplos BMS 16S when it was time to change out the electrolyte on my Nickel Iron batteries. {Getting a little old to toss around 85lbs blocks while being very careful not to break the fragile plastic shell./by myself}

Assembled and Installed in my system - ran great for about 3 months. No issues whatsoever.
However, the SOC was never quite right- so I decided to run it up to a full state of charge and recalibrate it to 100%, but it never got fully there before the OVP kicked in on one of the cells(#4). Stopped that activity since now it seems they need to be balanced and the onboard active balancer didnt seem to be working well enough to stop that. ( I ordered a battery tester and it just arrived)

------After that, is where the problem started. -----

The Battery system will charge- i see the MOSFETs(charge discharge) come on from the BMS-Studio.
However----->The instant the system sees a discharge - it shuts down- completely shuts down screen dark, BMS-Studio offline.
The only way to wake it back up is put a charge on it. Then it miraculously comes back to life.

What I have done so far:
1. I've reset all the parameters to default;
2. upgraded the firmware to 1.3 from 1.1
3. Called- emailed-what'sapp -messaged - Web messaged -multiple times over a two week period to Seplos; and after the 2 weeks they finally got back to me-several emails to me with questions and sent them my history logs- and then they stopped responding at all. No help at all. Crickets..

4. Stared at the BMS-studio screen while its charging trying to tease something out of it that will help me identify the problem.

finally notice something that I think might be part of the problem.

For some reason the Total Discharge capacity is 0.

Basic Info.jpg

Here are the logs of when I start to discharge. You see it shuts off instantly. Standby meaning sleep mode.

logs 2024-06-25 172920.jpg

Could it be it thinks there is no capacity to use, so it shuts down??

You might say discharge it to charge it 100% and this discharge it to 0%-in order to reset it - but it the BMS wont let me discharge any percent. nothing/nada

The only way for me to pull any current out of the bank is to bypass the BMS. Which is far from ideal.

There doesnt seem to be anyway that I can think of to reset the "total discharge capacity" to see if that's the issue.

Meanwhile based on my experience with Seplos I ordered a JK BMS. which is taking forever to get here.

I'm not saying this BMS is toast or that they make bad gear but so far experience with tech support has not been that great- and I rarely if ever call anybody for help for anything- but in its current state I cant use it. Tech support has never been a reason for me not to buy something.

Being off grid- having full use batteries to keep the home happy is absolutely necessary.
The old nickel irons worked great but they wont hold a charge now- and well...its a long story..

I am open to ideas to try- more questions to make me think- at this point anything is better than me poking it with a sharp stick.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• logs 2024-06-25 172920.jpg
    logs 2024-06-25 172920.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Its quite common to have a dodgy cable from the BMS to one of the cells (balance leads), bad crimp etc. under discharge if one cell shows bellow cut off it automatically assumes the pack is empty and sets the SOC to 0% expand your log and see what all 16 cells are doing under discharge, if you see one under 3v that could be the issue. just to also add, it doesn't look like the cells are particularly well balanced, did you top balance before assembling?

Thanks for the reply.

I never see the SOC go to zero - any of the logs or while I'm starting at the screen- I guess it could flash by in a microsecond and I wouldnt catch it.
But remember it was working good for 3 months. Cables can go bad, as can electronics- but i has worked before with no issues.

As far as discharging difference- I checked the logs- both on charge and discharge the Delta between top and bottom is never greater than 24mV that I can see while its active. Idle its 6 or 7 mV- per the logs- but off course I cant ever catch anything live but while charging. So I'm feeling like balancing isnt the issue. unless I'm missing something that you're saying.
Of course I've been wrong in the past_ lots of times. :)

Rather long for the screen- but here it is.

logs 2024-06-25 194151.jpg

I didnt top balance before assembling-but I was under the impression it wasnt imperative- and the bms would assist, i didnt have the battery tester/charger. Which I now have. I have 3 more DYI cabinets coming- I'll do those differently because I have the luxury of time.

all good suggestions. _ keep me thinking.. :giggle:

FWIW, as near as I can tell the Total Discharge Capacity is a sort of Amp-Hour odometer for the battery. Mine just keeps going up.
View attachment 224757
Its not worded very well, i pull all data direct from the BMS in to home assistant in real time and name them correctly. You are correct though, the total discharge capacity is accumulated Ah discharge over the life of the pack/first BMS power up.

Its not worded very well, i pull all data direct from the BMS in to home assistant in real time and name them correctly. You are correct though, the total discharge capacity is accumulated Ah discharge over the life of the pack/first BMS power up.
I am interested in your other translations from Seplos-ese as well, please share! There should be a wiki or something.

right this is the one that trips me up----= "Open" what does that mean exactly?

Screenshot 2024-06-26 091300.jpg

I am interested in your other translations from Seplos-ese as well, please share! There should be a wiki or something.
I'm not sure what I have done with those tbh, it was some time ago on the very early Seplos v1 bms, im on v3 now. Ill have a look back see what i can find.

diy solar

diy solar
Back