diy solar

diy solar

Series / Parallel connection

Quantum Thread

I am wondering if these two scenario's would work in a Series/Parallel panel arrangement or do I need to balance panels as in all the demonstrations I have seen? I created two diagrams to clarify my thinking. The first scenario I have 3 panels in series and the 4th connected in parallel connected across all 3 panels in series. The second scenario I have the same 3 panels in series with the 4th parallel panel connected across just one panel. This should work if thinking them as batteries. I am wondering what opinions any of you may have? I am planning on using scenario 1 until I get more panels.

Update: While creating the 2nd scenario, I realized that the line I colored yellow is the only difference between the two scenario's. So, what would this yellow line do?

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• Solar Question.png
    Solar Question.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 23
Those configurations will not work well.

Need to have all parallel, two series-two parallel, or all series.
All parallel is probably low on voltage for a 48 volt system.
2&2 should work.
Four series will depend on how the panel Voc compares to the MPPT Vmax.

If those are 12v nominal 100w panels.... probably need all four in series.

I had all 4 panel's in series and voltage was over 75 Volts which I probably bad for the charge controller? I'm hitting 58 Volts just with 3. I will try 2 by 2 like you said. I completely didn't think about the voltage provided by the parallel pair. Even though my amps will go up in parallel I forgot about the 12 volts in parallel. Thank you for the input. All of the panels put out over 19V each. Although, it reads 33V right now. I finished right after the sun went down so I will have to check tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back