diy solar

diy solar

Series vs parallel question

learaviator

I really appreciate input on things. Currently I have 8 280 watt panels, wired in four pairs, each pair in series. The solar panel tag shows 36.75 max power voltage and 7.62 max power current. Currently at max sun I am seeing 60 volts and 32 amps in, and 27.9 volts and 64.5 amps out of my Flexmax 80. I purchased a second Flexmax 80 for a spare. Should I have used the second Flexmax and wired the panels in two groups of four in parallel instead? Am I correct in figuring that with wiring eight panels into two groups of fours, all in parallel I could be seeing approx. 1600 watts from each Flexmax instead of the 1800 watts I am seeing from the one now? Am I figuring this correctly? That seems way better to me. Surely it is not that easy to increase the wattage that much.

The 280W sticker value is at test conditions, pretty much ideal. You generally don't see these conditions in real life. You're at 86% of your rated ideal (80% after MPPT losses) - that's not bad. You won't see more power by using the second MPPT; you'll probably see less because of increased losses due to the second MPPT.

You won't see 2x1600W because your max. is 2240W.

Ive tried many variations lately. And can't find a big enough difference between series and parallel except wires and Amps are a issue with many panels in parallel. Sun or shade they really seem to do the same for me. I bought a few branch connectors 4 to 1 and tried them out. For me parallel is simply not worth the headache or wiring. 4 240w panels in parallel made my 10ga wire noticeably warm. I chose 2s2p for each group of panels

Sun or shade they really seem to do the same for me
Which is expected mostly.

With series you might see a few minutes earlier charging voltage or may have ‘some’ charging on some cloudy days where a lower voltage may not. In average conditions I’ve not seen much of a difference. Nevertheless I am confident that series is a much better performer 60 days of the year (basically winter) and no downside most of the year.

Shade is more dramatic than “overcast” imho

Which is expected mostly.

With series you might see a few minutes earlier charging voltage or may have ‘some’ charging on some cloudy days where a lower voltage may not. In average conditions I’ve not seen much of a difference. Nevertheless I am confident that series is a much better performer 60 days of the year (basically winter) and no downside most of the year.

Shade is more dramatic than “overcast” imho
Like a string inverter setup

Back