diy solar

diy solar

Setting up one set of panels for two different Air conditioners

Ryan200

I have a trailer on my driveway that can fit four 102 cell panels on and I'm leaning towards these:
380 Watts 44.6 VOC

The trailer has a window AC that uses about 120V 400 watts on high

In my house I'd like to add a DC Air con:
It requires 88-90 Volts to turn on

I'd like to power the DC air con with the trailer panels while at home but then unplug it and power the trailer's window AC with the trailer panels when camping

Should I run 4S to be sure the DC air con gets enough voltage or will 2S2P be better because half the panels will be shaded while the sun is rising?

I currently have one 12V200AH lifepo4 and plan to add one more

Shading is going to kill you in any configuration.

I interpret the 90V as a minimum operating voltage, so I doubt 2S 89Voc panels will suffice.

If there is any potential for even slight partial shading due to roof protrusions, that may render the project a total no-go.

Thanks for the informed reply. My house faces WSW with the driveway in front. There are no trees so by 11am the trailer is fully unshaded. Is it still unfeasible?

What could I use to switch the pv output between the trailer charge controller and the DC Aircon?

Thanks for the informed reply. My house faces WSW with the driveway in front. There are no trees so by 11am the trailer is fully unshaded. Is it still unfeasible?

Certainly iffy before 11am.

My concern was more with trailer rooftop vents, A/C units, etc., casting partial shadows on your panels.

What could I use to switch the pv output between the trailer charge controller and the DC Aircon?

MC4 extension cables?

I have a trailer on my driveway that can fit four 102 cell panels on and I'm leaning towards these:
380 Watts 44.6 VOC

The trailer has a window AC that uses about 120V 400 watts on high

In my house I'd like to add a DC Air con:
It requires 88-90 Volts to turn on

I'd like to power the DC air con with the trailer panels while at home but then unplug it and power the trailer's window AC with the trailer panels when camping

Should I run 4S to be sure the DC air con gets enough voltage or will 2S2P be better because half the panels will be shaded while the sun is rising?

I currently have one 12V200AH lifepo4 and plan to add one more
I had this exact same unit. When hooked up to PV panel power only the indoor unit would turn the fan on (exactly what voltage I don't know but in the 80's volt range) and the outside unit (compressor) wouldn't turn until it hit 93 volts DC minimum.
If you have any shade the system will not run at full capacity. You can actually feel the cold air get warmer when the sun gets obscured by the clouds.

If you're hooked up to grid power, the PV inputs are awesome because that is free power.

Myself, I'm only hooked up to PV and battery power. So for me I hooked the unit up to the AC power side only.
That way my cooling power / performance is not affected by any lack of sunlight.

FYI
I had the 12k btu unit for a few weeks. I traded it in for the 24k btu unit. The only reason for the trade was buyers remorse.
Nothing wrong with 12k btu unit.

I have central air rated at 14 SEER. My thought is to set the central air to 72F and set the solar air a degree or two lower. My living space is open layout.
I'd also like to take the trailer back to burning man and not need a generator for the A/C

How many volts does the 24k unit need to cool?

I traded for the EG4 24k unit. I don't actually have it yet. It's on Pre-Order from Signature Solar.

According to the 24k spec sheet:
90-350 Volts DC
Max power is 3500 Watts compared to 1700 Watts for the 12k unit.

FYI
The 24k unit requires 208-230 Volts AC if hooking up to AC power.

Ok, I'm not even close to 3500 watts so the 24k is off the table, I wont be grid tieing. I wish fujistsu or somebody made a high efficiency 120v 12k. It would make it so easy to just hook up a nice inverter and plug in with a fat extension cord. I guess I could find a foreign market 240V inverter but then I'd want an electrician to wire it

Thanks for the replies

Back