diy solar

diy solar

How to connect one array of panels to two different units of batteries/charge controller?

marcfest

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to best use ten 350W 41V 10A solar panels with two separate solar units.

I currently use the 10 panels in a 5S2P config with a 250V / 100A Victron charge controller connected to four Battleborn batteries in a 24V config.

I also have a separate Bluetti 500 EP Solar Power Generator which can accept PV input of 1200W Max, 55-145VDC, 20A.

I'd like the ten panels to charge the Victron "station" and the Bluetti at the same time. I currently run just one pair of solar cables from the panels. Is there a way to split that cable and connect it to the Victron and the Bluetti at the same time in a way that does not exceed the Bluetti's specs? Or do I have to split the panels into two separate arrays and use a cable pair for each array to connect to the Victron and Bluetti separately?

It'd be nice if I could find a solution using just the one cable pair currently coming from the panels and somehow splitting it at the destination to serve both the Victron and the Bluetti without causing any problems. How would I go about it?

Thanks for your help.

Marc

PS: the complete specs are below.

250V / 100A Victron charge controller
4000W Giandel inverter
4 Battleborn 100Ah / 12V batteries in 2S2P 24V config

10 Mission Solar panels in 5S2P config:
Watts (STC) 345W
Max Power Voltage (VMPP) 33.37 V
Max Power Current (IMPP) 10.34 A
Open Circuit Voltage (VOC) 41.0 V
Short Circuit Current (ISC) 10.92 A
Max System Voltage (UL) DC 1000 V

System B

Bluetti 500 EP Solar Power Generator
2,000W
5,100Wh
PV input 1200W Max, 55-145VDC, 20A
AC Input: 600W Max, 100-264VAC
AC Output: 220-240VAC*3, 100-120VAC*4
In-grid UPS Mode&Flexible UPS Mode(24/7)
More: https://www.bluettipower.com/products/ep500-2000w-5100wh-solar-generator

It'd be nice if I could find a solution using just the one cable pair currently coming from the panels and somehow splitting it at the destination to serve both the Victron and the Bluetti without causing any problems. How would I go about it?

You can't split an array between two MPPT. They'll fight each other continually trying to find the max power point.

Why not just charge the Bluetti via AC from the Victron system?

You can't split an array between two MPPT. They'll fight each other continually trying to find the max power point.

Why not just charge the Bluetti via AC from the Victron system?
Thanks for your response. Yes, I did that for a while (charging the Bluetti via AC from the Victron system). It causes me to lose a Bluetti feature I like which is it's ability to switch over to powering its AC load via the grid when the battery reaches a certain low point, say 20%. If I power it via the Victron AC and not the grid I don't have that function any more.

Back