diy solar

diy solar

Shattered Panel

Dutchman

I was a bit surprised when I went to check on my PV array last week and found one of the panel’s tempered glass was completely shattered. Still in place but all cracked up as tempered glass tends to do. What would cause this? The others are fine.

Attachments

• 5E68A783-1021-41A0-8719-0E124E1697F4.jpeg
    5E68A783-1021-41A0-8719-0E124E1697F4.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 33
I was a bit surprised when I went to check on my PV array last week and found one of the panel’s tempered glass was completely shattered. Still in place but all cracked up as tempered glass tends to do. What would cause this? The others are fine.
i cant see it in this picture.

On the six panel over from the left it looks like a crack going up and down across one cell.

Bird flying into it or wind damage from something blowing off in the forest? I’m sure you thought of that though.

On the six panel over from the left it looks like a crack going up and down across one cell.

Bird flying into it or wind damage from something blowing off in the forest? I’m sure you thought of that though.
There is no sign of blown debris. I’m wondering if one of my bear friends got frisky and decided to clambor over the array. It must have taken quite a blow.

I’m wondering if one of my bear friends got frisky and decided to clambor over the array. It must have taken quite a blow.
I’d taught elementary school for a while, and had actually wondered if a kid could have done something like that.

What’s your plans to replace the shattered Panel?

You should be able to detect a pattern in the glass shards that suggests the location and direction of impact, as well as the size of the object if an object caused it. A picture would help us understand the situation better.

Beyond that, read the data sheet of the panel. Some are rated for hail and heavy hits, but some are not. A lot depends on the manufacture and design of the solar panel, including the frame. Make sure your panels are rated for the loads and impacts they might experience in your area.

Note that you can probably still use the panel, just cover it and seal it with transparent plastic. Capacity will be reduced, but it'll give you something until you replace it. If the damage is bad enough that it isn't providing power, that's useful information to know in determining what could have hit it.

I had the same problem with one of the 26 panels on my roof. I solved it with Gorilla Crystal Clear waterproof patch and seal. I uploaded six short videos about it on YouTube instead of making a longer one. You can see them here:

Last edited:
Back