diy solar

diy solar

Solar Steals Review

Watts Happening

I call it like I see it.
I recently purchased (16) 445w Canadian Solar panels from Solar Steals and wanted to provide an update for everyone.

I paid $2,880 with free shipping and no tax, I felt it was a pretty darn good deal all things considered. Shipping took a bit longer than I expected, not the actual shipping part but the “panels have left our warehouse” part. It didn’t make much of a difference to me, but I was surprised it wasn’t faster.

They were delivered just over a week ago. The first thing the driver said was how well packaged they were, so that’s a plus for them. Unfortunately it was obvious something had been dropped/stacked on top and had shattered the top panel. Driver noted it, said it was obviously their fault and away he went.

I emailed Solar Steals and provided the pictures they tell you they need (picture with the delivery truck still there, which I got lucky he didn’t rush out and I was able to spot the broken one). They offered to refund the $180 that panel cost me, and said they couldn’t really ship a single panel.

I asked about buying a handful more and shipping it all together to make it less likely to be an issue, they sent me a quote that included $400+ in shipping and I simply wasn’t willing to pay that. So I took the refund.

Fast forward to yesterday and I finally have unloaded all the panels as I was putting them up on my solar pergola, and I found the second to last panel shattered, it appears to have had something heavy right in the middle of it. Reached back out to them and again sent the photos, same scenario and an offer of a $180 refund.

At this point I was somewhat stuck, I needed at least 15 panels to cover my pergola, so I asked if he could try to look into options to get me either (1) or (4) panels. Having one would work, having four would give me another row I really don’t need, but wouldn’t hate having.

$622 later I paid for (4) panels to be sent, I then received a call and was told they were throwing in another panel for my troubles.

All in all, assuming the remaining panels show up as expected they have earned a thumbs up from me. I’d happily do business with them again.

They really should change their name...
I can’t argue with that lol.

I just wanted members to know they’re a legitimate business that sent what I bought. I certainly can’t blame the top panel on them, the second one I really don’t know but they’re handling professionally and I can’t ask for more.

I’ve been eyeing these panels for some spares or holding them for a rainy day to build a non peak/early AM/LatePM array.

How is the quality of their reman? Overall condition? Have you done any testing for output?

Thanks

I’ve been eyeing these panels for some spares or holding them for a rainy day to build a non peak/early AM/LatePM array.

How is the quality of their reman? Overall condition? Have you done any testing for output?

Thanks
I mean, “reman” is quite a stretch, they were ripped off their old mounts and resold. Many of which have an interesting 1” wide by maybe half inch deep section of the frame missing in the middle. It’s a little notch.

Can’t figure out why, but it has no effect on the panel at all.

I haven’t done any real testing because my pergola has a very sub-optimal angle to the sun, but I’d say they’re doing quite well.

I would rather have them flat with a spaced off sheet of plywood over it. On edge takes at least two people or position car bumpers to keep them from falling over, unless I’m missing a trick. Flat can have multiple problems too, one I never thought of. An installer friend last winter had a pallet delivered flat. He started taking from the top and left it open. The top one remained was upside down and it rained….then it froze. Any guesses what happened next? He knew better but he ran out to fix an emergency call and figured he be back sooner but…… Lucky he had ordered spares so the job could continue but the spares belonged to the customer. So had to make a minimum order. That stung.

You could probably set a car on a stack on edge, so any amount of bouncing or stacking on top of is eliminated. Having to deal with how to get them flat after receiving is a short term problem. Much better issue than what is more likely to happen shipping them flat. Even the full skid that was never opened from the manufacturer came to me on edge.

I mean, “reman” is quite a stretch, they were ripped off their old mounts and resold. Many of which have an interesting 1” wide by maybe half inch deep section of the frame missing in the middle. It’s a little notch.

Can’t figure out why, but it has no effect on the panel at all.

I haven’t done any real testing because my pergola has a very sub-optimal angle to the sun, but I’d say they’re doing quite well.
You’re right-they actually say ‘recertified’ and the conditions you’re describing are well within their description for their conditions on their site. So long as they function and are structurally sound they seem like a decent value.

Yes, they were indeed stacked flat.

I should also mention they placed absolutely nothing between panels, I've always seen some form of rubber spacer or something to that effect, I wasn't a huge fan of that but most did survive.

Yes, they were indeed stacked flat.

I should also mention they placed absolutely nothing between panels, I've always seen some form of rubber spacer or something to that effect, I wasn't a huge fan of that but most did survive.
Usually it’s at least some cardboard strips so the anodized frame doesn’t get chewed up

Last edited:
You could probably set a car on a stack on edge, so any amount of bouncing or stacking on top of is eliminated. Having to deal with how to get them flat after receiving is a short term problem. Much better issue than what is more likely to happen shipping them flat. Even the full skid that was never opened from the manufacturer came to me on edge.
I ordered my 16 530W panels from Santan and they arrived flat. No problems at all. I've read the horror stories of panels shipped on edge here in the forums. I guess it's a toss up.

I ordered my 16 530W panels from Santan and they arrived flat. No problems at all. I've read the horror stories of panels shipped on edge here in the forums. I guess it's a toss up.
Agreed.
Last year I drove ~150 miles with 20 315w Q Cells stacked flat banded to a pallet and strapped down in my bed with zero issues, I hit a few potholes that I thought for sure caused damage. A few months ago I drove ~125 miles with 12 315w LG neon's stacked flat, on the pallet from the Q cells, strapped down in my bed with no issues.
I think the key is making sure the stack is good with everything lined up before strapping them tight.
A rookie / careless forklift driver can damage flat or on edge just as easy.
I'd prefer flat over on edge for ease of offloading.

Thanks for the review, I've seen their ads pop up on Facebook, but always figured they where fake (cause everything else Facebook advertises is) good to know they are legit

Thanks for the review, I've seen their ads pop up on Facebook, but always figured they where fake (cause everything else Facebook advertises is) good to know they are legit
Yeah I was a bit on the skeptical side, but they answered the phone when I called and I used a credit card so there really wasn’t any risk.

Turns out I’m happy I did. Looking forward to the remaining panels to arrive (I’ve been sent tracking info already). Should be soon!

I know this is old thread but just hooked up 3 445 bifacials and im getting 385w each, not directly facing sun since its so low this time of year but im super happy with my purchase. Lost 2 in shipping out of 16. Would order 16 more if i had the spare change. If anyone in Central California is looking to order less than 16 let's talk I could us a few more, at least 2, would take 4.

All of mine where shipped flat in 3 different shipments with plastic spacers/standoffs on the corners.

I know this is old thread but just hooked up 3 445 bifacials and im getting 385w each, not directly facing sun since its so low this time of year but im super happy with my purchase. Lost 2 in shipping out of 16. Would order 16 more if i had the spare change. If anyone in Central California is looking to order less than 16 let's talk I could us a few more, at least 2, would take 4.
I’m up in Reno, I have a few if you want to make the drive.

Agreed.
Last year I drove ~150 miles with 20 315w Q Cells stacked flat banded to a pallet and strapped down in my bed with zero issues, I hit a few potholes that I thought for sure caused damage. A few months ago I drove ~125 miles with 12 315w LG neon's stacked flat, on the pallet from the Q cells, strapped down in my bed with no issues.
I think the key is making sure the stack is good with everything lined up before strapping them tight.
A rookie / careless forklift driver can damage flat or on edge just as easy.
I'd prefer flat over on edge for ease of offloading.

I put four Trina 360W panels on top of my Chevy Bolt, tied down with roof rails and cross-bars. Drove fifty miles on the freeway with them. I was white-knuckled the whole drive home, but they got there without a scratch. I think I used most of the knots I learned in Boy Scouts, to tie them down.

I had to do this, because Signature Solar won't sell fewer than ten panels. My next purchase from them will be for sixteen.

I put four Trina 360W panels on top of my Chevy Bolt, tied down with roof rails and cross-bars. Drove fifty miles on the freeway with them. I was white-knuckled the whole drive home, but they got there without a scratch. I think I used most of the knots I learned in Boy Scouts, to tie them down.

I had to do this, because Signature Solar won't sell fewer than ten panels. My next purchase from them will be for sixteen.
Check out Santan Solar, your local Craigslist and Inxeption Solar when you are ready to buy more. A bunch of us on here just ordered pallets of 370w panels from Inxeption for ~$0.19 /w delivered...
If you don't need a pallet you could always resell the extras when you get them for a great price...

diy solar

diy solar
Back