diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel Sealant Leaking

Kuma

Installed Solarever 455w panels 8 weeks ago and a couple of them have sealant leaking. One is leaking between glass and frame, the other at the frame joint. The sealant is rubbery and feels like silicone. All panels and mounts were trq'd to spec. The panel delivery did have some damage. These two panels were at one end of the stack. The panels at the other end of stack had obvious damage and were claimed on shipment delivery. I did order three extra panels from SS and three were damaged. In other words, no extra panels.

Thoughts? Warranty claim with SS or Solarever?

We are leaving the country for 3 months and not sure what to do. Leave leaking panels installed and if theirs a failure the SMA inverter will deal with it? I friend will drop by every week or two to check on things and can turn pv system off if inverter displays red light failure code.

p1.jpgp4.jpgpb.jpgBad Day 1.jpg

Self serving bump.

Sent pics to SS and waiting to hear back from them.

A couple people said dont worry about the frame sealant leaking. The EVA/POE... layers are what keep moisture from ruining the panels. And if possible problems arise check PV+/PV- to frame for voltage leak.

Compare this excess sealant material to the one used on other panels in this pallet. It could be of external unknown origin.

Not sure it is actually from the panels as most appears to be not even near the glass / frame meet, but on the side and top of the front frame.

I doubt it will be a functional issue, you may wish to clean it up so if there is more you can see where it is actually coming from.

SS punted and said to contact Solerever. Solarever said they need the panels removed from the roof and pics taken of back, front, top and bottom to file a claim. Removing them from roof is not what I would like to do nor is walking on the old tile roof again. The wife made a comment about removing them "what if we break one". Solarever does not replace panels they provide a prorated refund.

The tech thinks it should not impact performance or longevity. He made it clear those were his "personal" thoughts, not those of a Solarever tech. He also said the sealant should have cured long ago and to take pics from under the panels prior to removal just to see if theirs sealant their also.

Compare this excess sealant material to the one used on other panels in this pallet. It could be of external unknown origin.

It looks and feels to be the same sealant/adhesive used for the diode junction boxes.

Pics of the bottom. No sealant leak. If you look closely their is a small bead of the same sealant/adhesive on the bottom where the frame meets the white layer of bottom of panel. Again, it looks like the same used for the diode j boxes.

Wife wiped off some of the sealant from top of panels. We will monitor to see of more leaks out.

General consensus is to not worry about. I appreciate the opinions. Its just a bit frustrating and disappointing when being very careful with installation and the hours and dollars spent then a few weeks later some sort of abnormality appears.

B2.jpgB1.jpg

Back