diy solar

diy solar

Should I optimize panel input voltage to Victron or Epever charge controllers?

Murphyslaww

Hello, I've been running an 80amp Epever in a 1200 watt, 4 panel system with the 4 panels run into a combiner box. This produces between 20-32v usually from my 37v used panels into the charge controller of my 24v system. I just changed over from the Epever to a Victron 100/50, and for the most part, it's performing pretty close to identical to the Epever, in full sun days, getting around 6kw of production per day. To be honest, the Victron has not quite produced 6kw yet. Last day of the epever, was three days ago, and it produced 6.1kw, and the Victron has not been above 5.7 yet, but there was a cloud or two yesterday, and the house grid-tie system that usually produces in full sun, 32kw, is my control, and that only produced 30kw. The Victron looks like it might hit 6kw today.

I've read elsewhere that the Victron won't startup unless it has at least 5v over the system voltage, which in the morning, is probably attained. I think it generally starts around 29-30v just about right off the bat.

Will I see better results series and paralleling the two panels on each eave of the roof? Should run 60-70v then, I'd imagine.

Last edited:
I've read elsewhere that the Victron won't startup unless it has at least 5v over the system voltage, which in the morning, is probably attained. I think it generally starts around 29-30v just about right off the bat.

+5V is applicable to Voc, not Vmp. Once started, it's +1-2V.

Will I see better results series and paralleling the two panels on each eave of the roof? Should run 60-70v then, I'd imagine.

Your current and proposed configurations are not clear.

+5V is applicable to Voc, not Vmp. Once started, it's +1-2V.

Your current and proposed configurations are not clear.
I have two panels on each side of the roof, so I would be running the two on the same side of the roof in series, and then those into the combiner box to parallel them.

Good to know about the Voc vs. Vmp, thanks. The Voc of the panels is 37v. I think the Isc is 8.2a

I have two panels on each side of the roof, so I would be running the two on the same side of the roof in series, and then those into the combiner box to parallel them.

Good to know about the Voc vs. Vmp, thanks. The Voc of the panels is 37v. I think the Isc is 8.2a

2S on one side in parallel with 2S on the other side sounds like it will be fine. Important that all panels in series face the same direction.

37Voc panels are marginal for 24V systems. 60 cell panels may not produce enough voltage to fully charge 24V batteries especially if they are hot.

2S2P is likely to product better results.

Back