diy solar

diy solar

Shouldn't I be getting more PV input?

Bobindy

OK, I am definitely a beginner, and not an electrician so please be gentle with my lack of knowledge of the abbreviations and even concepts used on this forum. I know I'll come up to speed, slowly but surely. For now, it's OK if you talk to me using simple layman terms. We just got my system up and running on Thursday. (Off grid: nine 455w south-facing Solarever panels in series to ONE EG4 6500ex-48 to 3 EG4 48v LiFePower4 batteries) it was a pretty sunny day in mid Michigan with temps around 50° F and the expected sub-optimal sun to panels angle. That afternoon I was seeing around 2.2 - 3.5kW production - which I think was not too shabby for the conditions. The next day was similar, with a little less sun and I happily found my batteries were fully charged, despite having a few minor loads applied, such as some led lighting and of course whatever the inverter was drawing. I left everything on the first night with no load, the next night with a couple of freezers drawing a load. No surprises here, the batteries went down to 2 bars - I guess that's 50% ish or so.
(Side quest: can anyone tell me how to see the percentage of charge remaining on the battery bank at any given time.. Or ever for that matter?)
However, on the third day (yesterday) it was overcast with highs around 45°F. The EG4 showed only around 50-70 *watts* of production every time I looked through the day ... So over the course of that day my usage exceeded my input - which was altogether only around 660 watts..
That seems low, I mean abysmally low. Even on a really overcast day with rain, shouldn't I be able to expect a minimum of 10% of the capability of the panels or ~400 watts of input at any given moment during daylight hours? I shut the whole thing down through the night so the inverter wouldn't fully drain the battery bank. Now, today, at just about noon, with overcast skies, outside temp of 33, battery location temp around 50 I'm seeing 74-75 Watts of production and 91Wh since 10am when I knew the Cloud covered sun was up enough to be above any trees that could possibly block the diffuse light of it.... Are my expectations unreasonable, or is there something I'm failing to take into account?
Thank you. Feel free to answer main question or side quest or both ?

I am new as well, but FWIW, in November, on good sunny days, I was seeing about 27 KWH for a given day.

Yesterday, I saw 1.7.

For the month of December, I had 1 day that was 16.

The rest of the days were sub 10, and a lot sub 5.

So yeah, cloud cover can make it pretty crappy.

Just as a matter of interest turn off or disconnect your PV panels from the inverter and give it a minute and then reconnect again, does it now pull expected power from the panels?

I am new as well, but FWIW, in November, on good sunny days, I was seeing about 27 KWH for a given day.

Yesterday, I saw 1.7.

For the month of December, I had 1 day that was 16.

The rest of the days were sub 10, and a lot sub 5.

So yeah, cloud cover can make it pretty crappy.
Yes you're seeing kWh on crappy days? I'm seeing Watts. Not kilowatts. So if you think that's bad imagine how I'm feeling.

Just as a matter of interest turn off or disconnect your PV panels from the inverter and give it a minute and then reconnect again, does it now pull expected power from the panels?
Is turning off the solar isolator switch while everything else is off the way to go about this?

WARNING do not simply pull the solar wire connectors apart with ANY sun on the panels.

This kind of voltage can easily kill you.
Thank you for the warning. And now that you have told me what *not* to do.... How would I go about safely doing a re-boot, as it were, with the string of panels, as @Quattrohead suggested?

I am no expert but I would think on a cloudy day in Michigan in December with sub-optimal panel angle less than 10% seems reasonable. You can use PVwatts calculator to compare your system and get an idea of possible output. Maybe easiest to tell how the system is performing when you get some good midday sun.

I am no expert but I would think on a cloudy day in Michigan in December with sub-optimal panel angle less than 10% seems reasonable. You can use PVwatts calculator to compare your system and get an idea of possible output. Maybe easiest to tell how the system is performing when you get some good midday sun.
Thank you. I will do that... And also thanks for helping me feel less crappy about my brand new 'toy' that won't work because the batteries are already too low! ?

OK, I am definitely a beginner, and not an electrician so please be gentle with my lack of knowledge of the abbreviations and even concepts used on this forum. I know I'll come up to speed, slowly but surely. For now, it's OK if you talk to me using simple layman terms. We just got my system up and running on Thursday. (Off grid: nine 455w south-facing Solarever panels in series to ONE EG4 6500ex-48 to 3 EG4 48v LiFePower4 batteries) it was a pretty sunny day in mid Michigan with temps around 50° F and the expected sub-optimal sun to panels angle. That afternoon I was seeing around 2.2 - 3.5kW production - which I think was not too shabby for the conditions. The next day was similar, with a little less sun and I happily found my batteries were fully charged, despite having a few minor loads applied, such as some led lighting and of course whatever the inverter was drawing. I left everything on the first night with no load, the next night with a couple of freezers drawing a load. No surprises here, the batteries went down to 2 bars - I guess that's 50% ish or so.
(Side quest: can anyone tell me how to see the percentage of charge remaining on the battery bank at any given time.. Or ever for that matter?)
However, on the third day (yesterday) it was overcast with highs around 45°F. The EG4 showed only around 50-70 *watts* of production every time I looked through the day ... So over the course of that day my usage exceeded my input - which was altogether only around 660 watts..
That seems low, I mean abysmally low. Even on a really overcast day with rain, shouldn't I be able to expect a minimum of 10% of the capability of the panels or ~400 watts of input at any given moment during daylight hours? I shut the whole thing down through the night so the inverter wouldn't fully drain the battery bank. Now, today, at just about noon, with overcast skies, outside temp of 33, battery location temp around 50 I'm seeing 74-75 Watts of production and 91Wh since 10am when I knew the Cloud covered sun was up enough to be above any trees that could possibly block the diffuse light of it.... Are my expectations unreasonable, or is there something I'm failing to take into account?
Thank you. Feel free to answer main question or side quest or both ?
Your expectations are too high. I have about 13 kW of panels and here in upper Michigan I go outside and make a burnt offering if I see a kW of production on an overcast December day. Many days are spent below 500 watts.
Then on a cold clear January day, with sun reflecting off the snow I’ll expect 15kW. Yesterday’s total production was 2.4 kWh.

I posted too soon, I wanted to add-
Download bms_test from Signature solar and use it to connect to you batteries. It will tell you everything your batteries are doing, and you will learn a lot watching them.

I have 32, 400 watt panels
Well that's gonna make thank
Your expectations are too high. I have about 13 kW of panels and here in upper Michigan I go outside and make a burnt offering if I see a kW of production on an overcast December day. Many days are spent below 500 watts.
Then on a cold clear January day, with sun reflecting off the snow I’ll expect 15kW. Yesterday’s total production was 2.4 kWh.
Thank you very much Dougfromdaup. This troll sure appreciates that dose of "chill out - and just know, it can only go up from here!" ? Stay warm, Buddy!

Is turning off the solar isolator switch while everything else is off the way to go about this?
Yes that will do it.
Some Growatt inverters had trouble starting up the MPPT in low light conditions, an off/on of the panels has worked for those inverters.
I was just wondering if that could happen to the 6500ex.
But no sun up north.....sorry. Mind you, even Florida is not always sunny.

15kW of PV panels, 1500W production with slight overcast, 300W with heavy clouds.

You need enough battery to get through however many days without sun, and enough PV panels to recharge during the days with. Or backup generation.

PV panels are getting cheap, a bunch of us just bought new 10kW pallets for $2000 apiece delivered.

Back