diy solar

diy solar

Showcasing your solar components in acrylic boxes - like a giant gaming PC?

BigIslandRyan

I am starting to build a system for my cargo trailer. Instead of hiding it in a plywood box, i think it would be cool to put all components and wiring inside a casethat has an acrylic / clear / plexiglass type front so you could see it all. Of course the wriing would have tobe clean and the layout orderly, but why not show off the system?
Is there a thread for how to showcase your system, much like gaming PC's have clear cases to show off all the cool blinky lights?

Does anyone have tips on how to put 16lifepo4 cells and an all in one MPP unit and shunts, etc into a case with a clear front (or entirely clear case) and make it look awesome?? Examples?

maxresdefault.jpg

There is no reason you couldn't do it BUT like a Heavy Gaming Rig there is a fair amount of heat generated by various components so you would absolutely have to have active venting as I doubt passive venting would be enough. The SCC alone can make a LOT of heat, not to mention what an inverter put's out. But to make something like that for your battery packs / even bank with BMS(s) in a "showcase" case why not. I priced plastics for a few projects including my battery pack cases and the prices were somewhat nuts IMO and when I looked into Polycarbonates I was gobsmacked at what vendors are charging.

Ive made some aluminum racks for my cells, i can put a couple of acrilic sheets on the sides / top, and some LED lighting and they could look pretty interesting:

1590081811555.png

- if you plan on covering the inverters, ill be carefull with the ventilation, they generate a proper amount of heat and if your external fans fail you can have problems, altough they are suposed to shutoff with overtemp... its never a good idea to overheat electronics.

Ive made some aluminum racks for my cells, i can put a couple of acrilic sheets on the sides / top, and some LED lighting and they could look pretty interesting:

View attachment 13648

- if you plan on covering the inverters, ill be carefull with the ventilation, they generate a proper amount of heat and if your external fans fail you can have problems, altough they are suposed to shutoff with overtemp... its never a good idea to overheat electronics.

Thats a beauty! Are you a machinist? Or just have access to good tools?

Jeje thanks!

Have some tools, the most helpfull its the mitter saw and the bench drill, but you could easily make it with simpler tools, a regular drill, jigsaw and a bunch of nuts!

I will upload some blueprints in case its useful for someone in the forum, it has the advantage that makes your bank "portable" and the cells are compressed, so teorically they should last longer.

Mines on a board against the hull of my boat with everything easily accessible, personally I'd just build it into a cupboard and put a transparent door on it if I wanted it on display in a house or other building but on something like a caravan or motorhome I'd keep it well hidden, anything on display will tempt the bad guys to steal it.

Yeah I was thinking about just one side being acrylic. The active /passive venting question is a good one though. Something for me to consider.

View attachment 13648

what are your thoughts about cell compression? i see you have T shaped extruded aluminium between the cells. but i also read something in the spec sheat about cell compression. so what would you suggest when there is an light load applied. so no heat issues at all.

it does look pretty darn nice tho. and easy to lift/handle

what are your thoughts about cell compression? i see you have T shaped extruded aluminium between the cells. but i also read something in the spec sheat about cell compression. so what would you suggest when there is an light load applied. so no heat issues at all.

it does look pretty darn nice tho. and easy to lift/handle

Hello!, about the cell compresion, we were talking about it in this thread: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/do-my-new-blue-cells-need-to-be-packed-together.3836/page-3

Basically the Eve cells datasheet shows a significant difference between uncompresed / compresed lifespans. Howemever its up to discussion if this apply to our lower C rate application, where the heat and expansion arent probably a concern, Solar its not very demanding compared with EVs and other applications.

So some people in the forum recomend to not worry about it and just strap them, wich i think its ok... howemever after my first chargin cycles i noticed that they swell up... a lot more than i expected (Wich its probably between manufacturer tolerances)... howemever i didnt like that (you can check my post in the linked thread about this).... and after reading something about the pressure preventing electrode delamination from Nordkyng design, i decided to do something about it.

Only problem about clamping them, its that they will run hotter, and heat its a killer for this batteries. Probably not a problem if you dont charge / discharge at higher rates... but its a compromise, do you want to extend the lifespan by compressing, or by reducing heat?. For example, check some dissasembly videos of the BYD packs, they are strapped / clamped but they have huge aluminum heatsinks and forced ventilation... howemever they were used by EVs or battery farms i think!.

---

So my design requirements where:
- Portable
- Able to clamp the cells
- Able to have some airflow

Also i liked a lot the ability to move the full pack in a matter of minutes without disconnecting all the cells!... im placing hydrid inverters in both my office / home with LIFEPO4 battery backup, and i plan to have if possible 3 or maybe 4 - 560Ah banks at some point.... with this design i can move them between places if necessary in case of extended failure on the main grid or increase capacity depending of my requirements. They are very heavy so its better to move them with some help!... around 45 kg each bank!

--

The cells are divided by the 2 x T aluminum profile, and also same thickness flatbars in the middle so they press each other, avoiding swelling from the middle of the cell. There is some air space between the cells thanks to this configuration, so i have both pressure and some air flow in my cells, in theory they should last longer with this racks!.. I spend some serious $$ of my 16 cells, so everything i can do to extend their lifespan its a good investment i think, the aluminum its cheap and it took me about 2 days to finish them so im happy with it!... and still not finished!.. i plan on adding some plastic coverings and battery posts so it looks nicer!

Have you always spelled however as howemever? You're so consistent about it, it makes me think there is a story behind it.

Nice racks. Well done.

Heheh no back story, altough i should have make up one... :), just rusty english (no native). Pretty interesting still, maybe i have been writing it wrong all this years you are the only one that ever stopped to mention it!... should start using the spellchecker a little more ;)

:) I have similar issues when I speak Spanish. It's possible you mixed in whomever or whomsoever. English is the Borg of languages and is filled with inconsistent rules and traps.

Macht nichts.

I'm going to use a sheet of semi-transparent acrylic between the top of the battery terminals and the bottom of the top circuitry board/insert. Granted you'll never see it unless you have reason to pull off the top panel (shouldn't be ever) but it has a functional purpose and looks cool when it's there. :)

View attachment 13648

Wow, that looks amazing but too much aluminum for me in close proximity to some high powered batteries. The way I fumble around with tools .... :)

Wow, that looks amazing but too much aluminum for me in close proximity to some high powered batteries. The way I fumble around with tools .... :)
Putting Heatshrink wrap on some tools like the screwdrivers, ratchet handles and even wrenches (little tough for some) can save your keister from wild arc's. Electrical tape on weird/odd handles and whatnot can also serve well to protect you as well. Not hard to vapourize a tool with the power we are playing with.

:) I have similar issues when I speak Spanish. It's possible you mixed in whomever or whomsoever. English is the Borg of languages and is filled with inconsistent rules and traps.

Macht nichts.

Kind of like: Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft

Putting Heatshrink wrap on some tools like the screwdrivers, ratchet handles and even wrenches (little tough for some) can save your keister from wild arc's. Electrical tape on weird/odd handles and whatnot can also serve well to protect you as well. Not hard to vapourize a tool with the power we are playing with.
That's exactly what I did when putting my pack together. It's a good thing too because I dropped the allen wrench while trying to tighten down one of my studs on the battery terminal. I had it all taped up so I was good to go. :)

Back