diy solar

diy solar

Shunt necessary?

Thats what the Cadillac solution runs.

There are many other shunts with meters. I don't have experience with other shunts but think there are quite a few in the (i'm guessing here) $30-$100 range.

Your link also led me to find the 500A Victron Bluetooth shunt, which (oddly?) is about $70 cheaper and I can use my phone to check everything I need to know. No issues with android devices from that product, I'm sure.

I've never used a shunt. Never had the desire to monitor the out going energy. Just knowing the voltage before the sun rises is enough for me.

Last edited:
I would be wildly surprised if you can get an SDK from a "foreign" developer. Of the dozens of SDK's i've requested, i only received one, and that was after i reverse engineered the API and produced something useful.
If she is successful, please post it here, there are a lot of talented folks here!
To me, Victron has a lot of source data for their Serial VE Direct and makes it open source. Gives you hex codes to access data and says which ones are sent automatically and part numbers to make cables.

There’s even a CANBUS version.

The first step for me would be to build an interface to access a single device and then tie multiple devices in and then get some sort of user interface.

I see myself going over to the Victron boards for this.

Does the overkill have a way to “network” together so I know the total amphours for the two battery packs without bouncing back and forth? If it doesn’t, that may be the only reason to add a shunt.
With experience you may find the two batteries are fairly equal. Can always add a shunt later if needed.

Back