diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar 24v EG4-LL unbalanced and Low capacity with SoC at 100%

I think they just need some time (2+hrs) to balance while fully charged.

I'd keep absorb voltage at 56.5 but increase your time to 2hrs. You will notice the bms going through cycles of rapid charging and discharging while the cells are balancing. This will only happen when the battery is 100% soc. It took a couple weeks for my batteries to sync up and consistently hit 100% soc.

That being said, i still have nearly 200mv differences in two of my modules after a full charge. Grade a cells huh? Probably not. Hopefully the capacity is as rated.
This is with the Growatt connected to the eg4 LiFePower4 batteries. The GW reports 100soc but where's the voltage cycling?
1656715151199.png

1656715186303.png

This is with the Growatt connected to the eg4 LiFePower4 batteries. The GW reports 100soc but where's the voltage cycling?
View attachment 100917

View attachment 100918
Not sure why they aren't being recorded... they are just very quick pulses of less than a second usually. Maybe that has something to do with it not showing up? I am only aware of them because i have sat there and watched the lcd screen on the battery for far more time than i would like to admit.

Also, it seems when a pack has fully balanced and goes to standby mode, the voltage drops to about 55.5 even with a higher charge voltage being applied.

Not sure why they aren't being recorded... they are just very quick pulses of less than a second usually. Maybe that has something to do with it not showing up? I am only aware of them because i have sat there and watched the lcd screen on the battery for far more time than i would like to admit.

Also, it seems when a pack has fully balanced and goes to standby mode, the voltage drops to about 55.5 even with a higher charge voltage being applied.
That was a ten minute clip. Maybe I need to zoom out?

Here is a ~3hr shot from today. It was partly cloudy with generally light loads on the solar side of things. SOC varied between 99-100%. Is this the bms trying to balance in regards to the short peaks up to 57.7v followed by sharp dips to 54.4?

1656717697496.png
1656717744166.png

Ok, I'm lost. What I see has a display and it's on the opposite side of the eg4LL model. Don't see anything like the basic eg4.
They make it anyway you want it, that why its shown as a kind of drawn picture. This is the manufacturer that makes the EG4 Variant for several other companies. I found at least two other ones and one is almost identical to the EG4LL but has a name change.
You asked, I provided.

The best way to deal with it is just to make a video recording of the LCD screen. The constant charge and discharge of 10-14 Amps happens continuously for 2 hours. BTW this only happens on mine if the BMS gets out of whack, which seems to happen anytime I have two consecutive rainy days and the batteries cannot get up to 100% SOC.

They make it anyway you want it, that why its shown as a kind of drawn picture. This is the manufacturer that makes the EG4 Variant for several other companies. I found at least two other ones and one is almost identical to the EG4LL but has a name change.
You asked, I provided.
Looking but not finding the grade of cells utilized.

Google communication rack mount batteries and look at images. You will find them.
It seems these may be made by 'Shenzhen UPSEN electronic co. ltd' if they aren't another re-badge.
(EDIT: Looks like they are just a re-badge)
They have a website here: http://www.upsen.net

They also have batteries for sale on Made-in-China.com.
This looks identical to a EG4-LL, plus a external breaker the EG4-LL doesn't have.

This looks like an EG4 LifePower4 with fuses instead of a breaker:

I also found some others that look interesting:

I still preferred to order through SS I think. The lead times were much shorter and it's a US company if I have issues.

Last edited:
Hi all!

-Due to the fact that we use a simple metal can it is easy to make units that look alike. at the scale we buy I can tell you that the factory used has no retail outlet other than us currently, our units also bear the grind of steady (sometimes slower than preferred) improvement. Import shiping + Tariffs + no local support seems to spoil the equation in my opinion

-David Poz did a review on our packs after 1 year, it shows the rock-solid cycle life experience with off grid operation.

-the cell voltages at low or high state of charge will head apart, the thing to understand is the "waterfall" curve for voltage that the cells utilize.
our cells are actually 108ah, but the BMS will only allow 103AH of use, within the last AHs which are the most impactful with net voltage there is not exact equality, and this goes for the bottom as well

So I finally had some time to sit down in front of my pc to look at my battery when it reaches SoC 100% to see what happens…

Charging current is at around 5 amps near the end. When SoC reaches 100, the current starts to go down while voltage diff. Starts to climb at a rate of about 1 mV/sec. When the current reaches 0 amps, voltage diff stops climbing and I get the low capacity status at this point.

After 30 min of SoC 100, the panels still have enough power to make everything work so the batteries are on standby and are not balancing (voltage diff is still at 230 mV).

Edit: the battery I am monitoring seems to be slowly balancing…. I looked at the other 2: I have a voltage diff of 26 mV on both, the low capacity status is on, but no unbalanced status…

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back