diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar - What roof mounting system

JD McGyver

I have purchased a good amount of equipment from Signature Solar. I now have my panels for a roof install.

Their website only shows asphalt mini rails with flashing and some clamps. I just got off the phone with them looking for a brand name so that I can research the installation. None provided and directed me to the "Learn" section of their website. No videos regarding this system were provided.

It looks like they want to install a mini rail at the intersection of every panel with no long rails available, thus increasing roof penetrations.

Can anyone provide any additional information on this? Photos? Links?

Am I missing something, or are they just out of stock on products?

Thank you.

I have purchased a good amount of equipment from Signature Solar. I now have my panels for a roof install.

Their website only shows asphalt mini rails with flashing and some clamps. I just got off the phone with them looking for a brand name so that I can research the installation. None provided and directed me to the "Learn" section of their website. No videos regarding this system were provided.

It looks like they want to install a mini rail at the intersection of every panel with no long rails available, thus increasing roof penetrations.

Can anyone provide any additional information on this? Photos? Links?

Am I missing something, or are they just out of stock on products?

Thank you.
I was also going to recommend IronRidge. Unfortunately the mini rails are all that we currently have in stock for an asphalt roof application.

I don't know if this will be of any assistance but here's a couple of photos of the SS mini-rail system going up on my cabin in SE Oklahoma. Not an easy install on a 6/12 metal roof in July but the rails seem more than adequate for the load. Total system (to date) is 16 x 100 watt panels 4S4P. Ten mini-rails per column with end clamps top and bottom, mid clamps between adjacent panels. We used three 3" roofing screws through each rail with a custom-cut spacer under the metal roof ridge so the rail is connected solidly to the decking. Probably don't need that but I'm sort of a belt and suspenders type of guy :). Note to kibitzers, the shadows go away once we're finished on the roof, otherwise most welcome in the heat of the day.

Attachments

• 220715_070859_8.jpeg
    220715_070859_8.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 220715_070900_16.jpeg
    220715_070900_16.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 58
I don't know if this will be of any assistance but here's a couple of photos of the SS mini-rail system going up on my cabin in SE Oklahoma. Not an easy install on a 6/12 metal roof in July but the rails seem more than adequate for the load. Total system (to date) is 16 x 100 watt panels 4S4P. Ten mini-rails per column with end clamps top and bottom, mid clamps between adjacent panels. We used three 3" roofing screws through each rail with a custom-cut spacer under the metal roof ridge so the rail is connected solidly to the decking. Probably don't need that but I'm sort of a belt and suspenders type of guy :). Note to kibitzers, the shadows go away once we're finished on the roof, otherwise most welcome in the heat of
Thanks for sharing. I am very confused with the recommended mounting screws. I read the specs and confirmed with SS support that they recommend using a 25mm long screw to mount the rail to the ~25mm rib of the metal roof. This would leave my 52lb solar panels (22 of them) held on the roof with a screw only attached through a thin piece of metal (no connection to solid decking). Can you share a bit more about your custom-cut spacers?

@Mudd216 I'm with you, I didn't like the idea of the panels being supported in just the thin sheet metal. My panels are not as heavy as yours, they are only 12 pounds each but they present a significant wind load.

If you look at the profile of R-Panel roofing, the major ribs are approximately 1" wide (at the top) and 1 1/4" high. We simply ripped some 8 foot 2 x lumber into rectangular strips for a sliding fit inside the rib and filled each rib, full length, where the mini-rails were to be mounted. We didn't try to match the internal angles of the rib, we just wanted something solid between the decking and the mini-rail when we ran the rail mounting screws down tight. Also, we put 2 x 4 blocks on the inside, between the rafters, where the 3" screws would penetrate the decking for additional strength.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need more info. I'd do some pictures for you but the cabin is in Oklahoma and I'm in Central Texas and I won't be back up there until Spring.

Yes. I put in support braces between my roof trusses. I put 2X4 braces between the rafters where each screw went through the roof so it had something to attach to. Always anchor each screw to a solid, fixed point. It's not the weight of the panel, it's the lifting force from the wind. Create a solid frame under your metal roof to anchor to. OR get a fancy iron Ridge type rail system that is anchored to the solid structure. I live where we have 90 mph winds during monsoons and panels must be absolutely rock solid mounted to immovable structures.

I have used Kinetic Solar rails & components for setting up my racks.
The next rack (being installed after winter) is also all Kinetic Solar. This rack is going on a metal roof using Canadiana Rib profile, see image below:
1672243850050.png
The Rails will be attached to Kinetic 3" "L" Bracket Kit, with K-Nut which are in turn connected to Kinetic's Rhino Mounts which bridge over the rib, they are made of 3mm Extruded Reinforced Aluminium and provide 4 bolts for attachment. This makes for a very strong and secure attachment to the strapping underneath the tin roofing.
Kinetic Rhino Mount Kinetic Rail profile
Kinetic Solar Site:

I ended up using a different bracket to attach to the roof because the L brackets didn't stick up high enough to clear the S type tile. I ended up using Solar Tile Brackets from Benny's Solar on Ebay. Funny side note, he lives in the same area and i picked them up in person. He's fantastic and his Ebay store is great

I have some iron ridge rails for sale in the solar panel forum. I thought I was going to use them for my ground mount but could never round up the 3" pipe I needed so I went with APA instead.

Back