diy solar

diy solar

Simple Battery Monitor Showing Total voltage and cell voltages?

walter-

Is there are 'simple' Battery monitor that can show the total battery voltage and the individual cells voltage?

I am looking for such a thing for a 4S setup.

Walter

The ideal solution would be to use a BMS for LiFeP04 that will display the values you need ( its strongly recommended to fit a BMS to protect the cells)
BMS 1
BMS 2

A low cost solution would be to use a unit intended for RC power packs. The voltage/capacity checker is intended for a different cell types but will show battery and cell voltages, the capacity reading will be unreliable but a guess could be made from voltage/capacity tables.
lithium volts-charge.jpg

Search on your local Ebay or Amazon for,

LCD Battery Capacity Voltage Checker Tester Analyzer LiPo LiFe Li-ion NiMH Nicd​

And cable,

4S (14.8V) Li-ion Lipo Battery Balance Charger Cable Lead Connector​

battery cell monitor.jpg4s balance.jpg

Mike

Thanks for the feedback.
I wanted a monitor independent of the BMS. Reason here is that if the BMS would have any technical issues, I am not able to get any information from the battery cells via the BMS. So I prefer here an independent monitor (that could also explain when there are issue, it is the BMS and or a cell or that gives a confirmation if the BMS indicates there is an error).
The RC power packs units monitor: how would they work? You just wire them to the cells? Or do the RC power packs have a specific protocol on their connection cable?

Walter

You just wire them to the cells? Or do the RC power packs have a specific protocol on their connection cable?
Just wire to the cells, the black wire in the balance cable to the most negative then in sequence to the red, that's connected to the most positive, a similar connection method to the BMS.
When connecting to the unit ensure the negative pin in engaged in the correct position.

youtube

Mike

Mike has it right. To get individual cell readings, you have to go to the BMS for that. If there is a problem that can't be figured out by looking at the App for the BMS then I break out my multimeter. I keep a multimeter in my RV. It's just too handy to not have one around.

Thanks!
Any idea of the power consumption of such RC Power screen? Can it be turned of? I think the one from the video cannot be turned off.

Related to the BMS apps: I hope my battery will last +10 years. And I doubt BMS apps will still run on any device in 10 years.

Walter

I have a ISDT BattGo BG-8S Battery Meter that I use occasionally to check cell balance. The device shuts it screen off after about a minute. The screen can be turned on by pressing any of the buttons.

The limitation is that it only supports up to 8s batteries; so 16s 48V LiFePO4 batteries would need two of these.

The ideal solution would be to use a BMS for LiFeP04 that will display the values you need ( its strongly recommended to fit a BMS to protect the cells)
BMS 1
BMS 2

A low cost solution would be to use a unit intended for RC power packs. The voltage/capacity checker is intended for a different cell types but will show battery and cell voltages, the capacity reading will be unreliable but a guess could be made from voltage/capacity tables.
View attachment 37615

Search on your local Ebay or Amazon for,

LCD Battery Capacity Voltage Checker Tester Analyzer LiPo LiFe Li-ion NiMH Nicd​

And cable,

4S (14.8V) Li-ion Lipo Battery Balance Charger Cable Lead Connector​

View attachment 37613View attachment 37614

Mike

Is there any benefit to wiring the connector for one of these into the balance leads?
Quick read on cell levels, etc.

I'm just pulling stuff together for my battery pack build.

Back