diy solar

diy solar

Simple setup here in australia

wow that's awesome thank you, that's thinking outside the box excuse the pun

2 questions:

I'm guessing just strip the plug off the outlet block and connect to the ac outlet on the inverter would suffice?

If I went with the 15a box would there be any limitations or alterations to the inverter? or even appliances that wouldn't fit the rcd?

Thanks
Amy

I'm guessing just strip the plug off the outlet block and connect to the ac outlet on the inverter would suffice?
Yep.

Remember though that the wire is only rated for that 15 A (best if it's 2.5mm core, some of those 15 A extension leads sold use 1.5mm core).

If I went with the 15a box would there be any limitations or alterations to the inverter?
No, it's rated to supply up to 5 kW, which is ~ 22 A @ 230 V. That outlet box is just one option, there are also just extension leads with an RCD that do the same thing.

You'll need to do a little set up using the display screen but it's not hard, in general the default settings will work just fine. Main one is the battery settings (it will have a pre-programmed option for a standard 51.2 V LiFePO4 battery).

or even appliances that wouldn't fit the rcd?
Any regular 10 A plug will fit into the 15 A socket just fine. It's the other way round that won't go, i.e. you can't plug a 15 A plug into a 10 A power outlet. The 15 A plug has a larger earth pin which prevents it from being plugged into a regular 10 A power outlet.

So all you need to do is make sure you don't use more than ~ 3.5 kW of power at any one time. The outlet brick not only has an RCD for protection but a circuit breaker for overload protection.

I don't know what you plan to power with it but since space heating and water heating are taken care of, then the next main items which can consume a lot of power are:
- cooking stove/oven (you will need to check but if it comes with a regular 10 A plug/cord it will be a max of ~2.3 kW)
- microwave (small ones will draw ~1.0 - 1.2 kW, some closer to 1.5 kW)
- hair dryer (typically up to 1.5 kW)
- small split system aircon (varies but decent small ones might draw up to 800 W)
- lights (LED) are nothing
- TVs, internet stuff we are talking 100 W
- slow cooker maybe 200 W
- basic floor fan maybe 30 W

So don't dry your hair while cooking with aircon going... Stagger that stuff and it will be fine. Same would apply to a portable power station.

Yep.

Remember though that the wire is only rated for that 15 A (best if it's 2.5mm core, some of those 15 A extension leads sold use 1.5mm core).

No, it's rated to supply up to 5 kW, which is ~ 22 A @ 230 V. That outlet box is just one option, there are also just extension leads with an RCD that do the same thing.

You'll need to do a little set up using the display screen but it's not hard, in general the default settings will work just fine. Main one is the battery settings (it will have a pre-programmed option for a standard 51.2 V LiFePO4 battery).

Any regular 10 A plug will fit into the 15 A socket just fine. It's the other way round that won't go, i.e. you can't plug a 15 A plug into a 10 A power outlet. The 15 A plug has a larger earth pin which prevents it from being plugged into a regular 10 A power outlet.

So all you need to do is make sure you don't use more than ~ 3.5 kW of power at any one time. The outlet brick not only has an RCD for protection but a circuit breaker for overload protection.

I don't know what you plan to power with it but since space heating and water heating are taken care of, then the next main items which can consume a lot of power are:
- cooking stove/oven (you will need to check but if it comes with a regular 10 A plug/cord it will be a max of ~2.3 kW)
- microwave (small ones will draw ~1.0 - 1.2 kW, some closer to 1.5 kW)
- hair dryer (typically up to 1.5 kW)
- small split system aircon (varies but decent small ones might draw up to 800 W)
- lights (LED) are nothing
- TVs, internet stuff we are talking 100 W
- slow cooker maybe 200 W
- basic floor fan maybe 30 W

So don't dry your hair while cooking with aircon going... Stagger that stuff and it will be fine. Same would apply to a portable power station.

Lucky I don't blow dry my hair or need aircon for that matter, tv very rarely, microwave definitely not. I'm just a basic gal 👧 🤷

Thanks for all your advise, I've binged watched a few vids regarding your suggestions and definitely thinking this is the way forward.

Hope to come back with some pictures in the not too distant future

Amy

Hope to come back with some pictures in the not too distant future
Good luck with it. Just keep in mind these inverter units can be a bit noisy (fans), so avoid having them inside a living space, hence a protected space outside is better.

Back