diy solar

diy solar

Sizing a Victron MPPT

John.DS99

I have been looking at the Victron MPPT calculator at https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator and seeing how my 10 Trina panels could be used with a Victron MPPT.

It seems that the calculator is adjusting for temperature variations and every time I think a string might fit a mppt, it sizes it up to a higher voltage unit than I would expect.

My panels run at 10 amps or less, Maximum Power Voltage-VMPP (V) 33.8, Open Circuit Voltage-VOC (V) 40.8

If I put 2 of these in series, it says I need a 150/45 MPPT to handle it. It says that the voltage of these panels will be 104.5V at -5 Celsius.

I looked over my logs during hot & cold weather this year and I never saw more than 375 volts for the series of 10 panels and that was during warm weather, getting a lot of solar. It seems to me if I do hit -5 C that it will be the middle of the night with 0 current.

I would also think that since it is an MPPT with a voltage maximum, that if the MPPT were searching along the voltage range to find an optimal current that it wouldn't search up to a voltage above its own specifications.

But what do I know, I think I would be inclined to size them in a 3S config so my estimated max of 37.5*3 panels would fit in a 150/45 system, but NO, the calculator recommends a 250/70 TR. I can't win.

Last edited:
The Voc of 40.8 is what is giving you issues.
At -5C 2s will be 104.5v
At -5C 3s will be 156v

The 150v is a never go above or it will fry the SCC. The issue is at first light on a COLD winter morning the sun hits the panels and the voltage climbs before the amps do. So the SCC can’t work yet - but the voltage climbs above 150v.

What is the watts of those panels? and is your battery a 48v?

I don’t think the 150/45 is big enough for 2s5p…

Check your numbers in the MPPT Calculator. I just put in the REC panels I have with a 40.8 Voc and -0.26% temp coefficient and a low temp of -30c and I'm coming up with 93.3 V with 2S and 139.9 V with 3S

Many thanks, Here is the spec sheet 390 Watt version purchased.

Attachments

• Trina Vertex S 390W Datasheet_2022.pdf
    614.4 KB · Views: 4
3s3p and 2s5p should work with a 150
5s2p would work with a 250 and may be pretty nice. The 250/70 is ~$100 more than the 150/70 on currentconnected.com
IMG_1487.jpeg
IMG_1488.jpeg
IMG_1489.jpeg

Thank you, Goose. I live in Sunnyvale CA, where it never gets below -5 C. I would like to go 4S2P and use the other 2 panels on a different array. Too risky?

Back