diy solar

diy solar

What am I doing wrong with the TriStar solar calculator? ??

Urge38

Hi Guys

I am trying to decide what panels might suit me Tristar MPPT 45a controller,

Please see attached photos of panels datasheet, MPPT datasheet and MPPT calculator with my manually inputted values (as I could not find this panel in the dropdown)

the TRiSTAR calculator says I have a too high voltage!!!!
I was under the impression my Tristar MPPT could handle 150v and the panels I have chosen are only 55a voc

I am obviously missing something but as I am just starting out with solar, I don't know everything.

PLEASE NOTE.
my Tristar is the 45a MPPT on the datasheet.
The chosen panels are the LR-566HIH-500M on the datasheet.

Attachments

• 20240208_212132.jpg
    20240208_212132.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240208_212147.jpg
    20240208_212147.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240208_212207.jpg
    20240208_212207.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 11
Hi Guys

I am trying to decide what panels might suit me Tristar MPPT 45a controller,

Please see attached photos of panels datasheet, MPPT datasheet and MPPT calculator with my manually inputted values (as I could not find this panel in the dropdown)

the TRiSTAR calculator says I have a too high voltage!!!!
I was under the impression my Tristar MPPT could handle 150v and the panels I have chosen are only 55a voc

I am obviously missing something but as I am just starting out with solar, I don't know everything.

PLEASE NOTE.
my Tristar is the 45a MPPT on the datasheet.
The chosen panels are the LR-566HIH-500M on the datasheet.
Look at the coefficients - for example the VoC coefficient is a small negative value. It represents how much the voltage drops as temps increase and goes up as temps go down… the correct values should be on the panel spec sheet.

Panels are wired in series and/or parallel. I can't see all the calculator details but it is probably telling you that's too many in series. With 55v panels you could only do 2S and it might give you an overpanel error for 2S2P but it will work anyway.

Panels are wired in series and/or parallel. I can't see all the calculator details but it is probably telling you that's too many in series. With 55v panels you could only do 2S and it might give you an overpanel error for 2S2P but it will work anyway.

If you look at the orange crucial in the Tristar calculator, with steps one, two three, it explains, you only need to input one panel details and it will tell you the combinations available.

Back