diy solar

diy solar

Help with calculating what I need to charge an EV motorcycle

Oh yeah, with that equipment already in place I'd just buy ~2 kW of panels and charge the motorcycle from dawn to 4pm. PVWatts can give you a more precise estimate on panel size. Since your inverter will mix in grid power as needed I'd forget the battery for now. You can always add one later if it makes sense. The only possible gotcha I see is whether the motorcycle can charge at 120V, since that's what it seems your inverter puts out. If the bike requires 240V you might have to try a 120-to-240V step up transformer or something.

Oh yeah, with that equipment already in place I'd just buy ~2 kW of panels and charge the motorcycle from dawn to 4pm. PVWatts can give you a more precise estimate on panel size. Since your inverter will mix in grid power as needed I'd forget the battery for now. You can always add one later if it makes sense. The only possible gotcha I see is whether the motorcycle can charge at 120V, since that's what it seems your inverter puts out. If the bike requires 240V you might have to try a 120-to-240V step up transformer or something.
That is what I'm gonna do. I'll buy a battery or two when I can afford it. Maybe even face the panels slightly east instead of full south to catch more morning sun. It does charge off of 120v, which is all my inverter is capable of

Back