diy solar

diy solar

SMA Sunny Boy & grid tie panels

Of course I would encourage all SMA, if the feature set does what you need.
Set up load-shed so you don't end up with a dead battery. Having a backup DC coupled charger would be good. Maybe that Midnight Classic if you get the box with two SI, and older SI should still have firmware version that can talk to it through an adapter (Midnight said SMA changed protocol in later firmware.) Otherwise a battery shunt.

My first Sunny Island cost $5000, and I was going to use an auto-transformer, also transfer switch so 2x 2.5kW SB went through its relay, and 2x were straight to grid or on SI when off-grid.

My last eight were on a pallet for $10k, so you understand why I couldn't resist.

I have many Sunny Boys, the last nine were a pallet of 5000US, liquidated by a dealer who couldn't get the Yanmar diesel portion of the CHP plants he had been selling.

I should get another Web Box, since I'll soon have systems in multiple locations. I've been moving one back and forth between my split-phase grid backup system and the 3-phase I've been working on. I use the RS-485 model. Another is Bluetooth only, which might talk to your SB -41 but not SI. There may be other good monitoring options. Web Box shouldn't be put on internet due to its vulnerabilities.

SB -41 has some wireless configuration methods. I think WiFi is indeterminate whether it will be installed due to supply chain. I think Ethernet is standard, and accessible with a browser. Probably some logger available using that. I've been using Sunny Explorer for TriPower.

Back