diy solar

diy solar

SMA - Sunny Island

Eran

HI,

I have an SMA Sunny Island 8.0H, 48V system, I am have few questions about the type of batteries I need to use.
I would be thankful if some one to guide me though these questions.

1. Do I need to use pre build batteries? like ABB or SMA storage?
2. Can I create my own battery bank with LifePO4 or can I buy cells an make my own LI battery bank?
3.I have heard that SMA's are pretty sensitive and does this sensitivity mean I need to use recommended Li batteries?

Thank you in advance.

If you use a BMS that has compatible Canbus communication with the Sunny Island you can use any cells you like.

I have been using the REC BMS for many years with a DIY LiFePO4 pack.

Thank you very much Toms, How do I figure out the compatibility of the CAN Bus of the BMS, I am thinking of using a grid tie sunny boy inverter as well on to this.

Because I am not in the US and and I am trying to figure out if I can find a compatible BMS.

Thank you very much

Thank you very much Toms, How do I figure out the compatibility of the CAN Bus of the BMS, I am thinking of using a grid tie sunny boy inverter as well on to this.

Because I am not in the US and and I am trying to figure out if I can find a compatible BMS.

Thank you very much

Speak directly to the BMS manufacturer - i have personally setup REC BMS / Batrium / ZEVA BMS with the Sunny Island.

From my experience the REC is the best choice. You should be able to source one in your country - i am in Australia and they are made in Slovenia.

I, too, have a Sunny Island with a battery bank. I chose to build my battery bank with eight Weize 12V 100 Ah deep cycle AGM batteries for $1800. The 48V battery bank is made up of two parallel groups of four batteries connected in series for 9.6 kWh of emergency backup storage. Battery management is handled by the Sunny Island.
Battery Backup System 2.jpg

Nice setup you got there! Do you use a other BMS? or do u let the Sunny Island do the work?

With lead acid, the Sunny Island parameters are OK - no external BMS is generally used.

With lithium you need cell level monitoring, and ideally temperature monitoring, this is handled by BMS, and the BMS takes over charge/discharge control from the Sunny Island.

Yes i use multiple SunnyBoy inverters with my system, as well as a DC coupled Outback Flexmax.

My system (during a reshuffle - work in progress photo) is shown below to give you an idea of the layout required. (ignore the blue stuff)

Attachments

• AC8C8665-035E-4A29-BB4B-7F90F616E242.jpeg
    AC8C8665-035E-4A29-BB4B-7F90F616E242.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 47
Thank you Toms, I am just setting up mine, and i am going to be just setting it up first with led acid tot start with,
Ill run my grid in the Sunny island so it can charge the battery and when there are grid outages it will work on the battery.
I plan to start with 4 Lead acid and then ill transfer to LifePO4.

Question, how do I stop feeding the grid with excess energy from my sunny boy through my sunny island? Any idea? Thank you

Question, how do I stop feeding the grid with excess energy from my sunny boy through my sunny island? Any idea? Thank you
I believe you can do that with the Data Manager M and CTs. SMA has a video on YouTube on how to set up zero export.

Thank you! I'll search for that.
My Trip switch shuts off when the Grid comes back out of and outage. Do I change the Setting of parameter "Max. battery charging current" or "Max. AC charging current" its 32 mA trip i Have

Thank you in advance.

Sunny Islands with REC BMS.

Attachments

• 1672962012488.jpeg
    1672962012488.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02598.jpg
    DSC02598.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 25
HI,

I have an SMA Sunny Island 8.0H, 48V system, I am have few questions about the type of batteries I need to use.
I would be thankful if some one to guide me though these questions.

1. Do I need to use pre build batteries? like ABB or SMA storage?
2. Can I create my own battery bank with LifePO4 or can I buy cells an make my own LI battery bank?
3.I have heard that SMA's are pretty sensitive and does this sensitivity mean I need to use recommended Li batteries?

Thank you in advance.
The SI supports both LA and Li-Ion batteries. SMA like to specify which batteries they "support", but in general, I don't expect any battery to have an issue, in real life, as SMA support CAN and RS485 on the SI 8.0H.

If you connect the grid to the SI, you can configure the SI to NOT export power to the grid. If you connect the grid directly to the SB's, you will need a Data Manager to tell the SB's not to send power to the grid.

Note that there is a ramp-up/ramp-down gradient if the Data Manager is to manage this in conjunction with the SB's, so there will always be some "leakage".

To ensure you export nothing to do the grid if that is what you want, connect the grid to the SI's.

Back