diy solar

diy solar

SMA SunnyIsland 6048 lead acid SOC estimation

daklein

Wow, that was a big drop in the SOC estimation, from about 75 down to 20. Dropped into the battery protection mode and connected to the grid even though it was still on-peak hours. I just happened to notice looking at the monitoring. If the grid had not been available, it would have shut off the inverters, and then we would have noticed right away....

Cloudy winter solstice days, family all at home cooking on the electric range all day, HPWH, everyone's computer going, all the lights (I'm always having to turn lights back off....), all that's too much for empty batteries.

Folks with the DC solar trailers and sometimes poor condition batteries seem to get this often, but this is the first time I've had this occur that I know of. I believe mine was just sitting in Vegas for a year, float charging from solar, only a little low on water when I got it, and they've seemed to be in good condition so far.

SOC estimation for lead acid batteries is tricky, I'm not complaining, mostly just amused and offering commentary. I've seen jumps in the SOC before, just not to this degree.

There are two lithium battery banks that do most of the daily cycling, AC coupled behind the SI inverters to run the loads at night, if they get charged from solar. The FLA battery connected to the SI inverters mostly stays near zero current, the other batteries charge or discharge to keep the FLA near zero when possible, except when bigger loads first come on.

When it connects to the grid off-peak, if I know it's going to, but the FLA is still pretty full, I set it to just run the house loads without charging the FLA (set inverter current to .4A @240vAC. The other option which works sometimes is to let it go into silent mode which accomplishes the same thing. But often, it will get back up over 95% SOC and disconnect from grid before getting into silent mode, then goes back down to whatever I have the lower SOC set to 88-92 usually. I don't like cycling the FLA for no good reason, it wastes energy and takes away some battery life.

I imagine that my shenanigans with keeping the FLA batteries very often near zero current do not help the inverters' SOC estimation. Error in counting current will be a larger percentage of the relatively small currents. Maybe the voltage is also less representative of the battery state due to surface charge.

1703297503844.png

Wow, that was a big drop in the SOC estimation, from about 75 down to 20. Dropped into the battery protection mode and connected to the grid even though it was still on-peak hours. I just happened to notice looking at the monitoring. If the grid had not been available, it would have shut off the inverters, and then we would have noticed right away....

Cloudy winter solstice days, family all at home cooking on the electric range all day, HPWH, everyone's computer going, all the lights (I'm always having to turn lights back off....), all that's too much for empty batteries.

Folks with the DC solar trailers and sometimes poor condition batteries seem to get this often, but this is the first time I've had this occur that I know of. I believe mine was just sitting in Vegas for a year, float charging from solar, only a little low on water when I got it, and they've seemed to be in good condition so far.

SOC estimation for lead acid batteries is tricky, I'm not complaining, mostly just amused and offering commentary. I've seen jumps in the SOC before, just not to this degree.

There are two lithium battery banks that do most of the daily cycling, AC coupled behind the SI inverters to run the loads at night, if they get charged from solar. The FLA battery connected to the SI inverters mostly stays near zero current, the other batteries charge or discharge to keep the FLA near zero when possible, except when bigger loads first come on.

When it connects to the grid off-peak, if I know it's going to, but the FLA is still pretty full, I set it to just run the house loads without charging the FLA (set inverter current to .4A @240vAC. The other option which works sometimes is to let it go into silent mode which accomplishes the same thing. But often, it will get back up over 95% SOC and disconnect from grid before getting into silent mode, then goes back down to whatever I have the lower SOC set to 88-92 usually. I don't like cycling the FLA for no good reason, it wastes energy and takes away some battery life.

I imagine that my shenanigans with keeping the FLA batteries very often near zero current do not help the inverters' SOC estimation. Error in counting current will be a larger percentage of the relatively small currents. Maybe the voltage is also less representative of the battery state due to surface charge.

View attachment 184643
Turning lights back off... if only I could get paid for that piece rate...

At what battery voltage?

@Trukinbear just reported similar, when battery dropped to 46V under light load at night.

Since Sunny Island grew up with FLA, you'd think the management would work well.

"lithium battery banks that do most of the daily cycling, AC coupled behind the SI inverters"

Do you describe this implementation somewhere?

At what battery voltage?

@Trukinbear just reported similar, when battery dropped to 46V under light load at night.

Since Sunny Island grew up with FLA, you'd think the management would work well.

Do you describe this implementation somewhere?
It does look similar to @Trukinbear, in that it happened at about 46v while SMA SOC was relatively high, 75% for me, about 70% for Trukinbear

My voltage was about 45.7v, and not so light load of 85A, when it reset SOC. And that's after moderately discharging for about 8 hours. FLA battery temp was about 50dF. I guess I could be figuring out how many kWh or Ahrs came out, and seeing if my capacity still seems about normal. Just now after 11pm it corrected SOC back up from 60% to 80%, since charging at 7pm. That looks like a more typical SOC jump, but still maybe on the larger side.
1703305693447.png

I think SMA does do a good job, but few mortals let alone inverters have divine knowledge of battery state, so I think it will need to readjust sometimes. The way I'm running it, the time between full charges can be very long, and my mode of operating probably makes it harder too. This did cause it to do a full charge finally.

I described my system recently at this and several following posts, about using microinverters to discharge battery banks.

What is your #222.11 BatTmpCps, and does it match battery specifications?

Is there a way to specify battery IR or Peukert constant? (I think there is one for cables, maybe use that to fudge the V/I response of battery)

"13.7 Battery Lead Resistance
In menu ”221# Battery Property” you can specify the battery lead resistance (BatWirRes). The
resistance is the ohmic resistance of the battery up to the input of the Sunny Island master. The default
value of the parameter ”221.06 BatWirRes” is 0 m Ω ."

Note that will also affect charge voltage, especially if set higher than actual cable resistance.

Does battery SoC for voltage and current match data sheet, or does voltage sag lower than before?
(I'm wondering if parameters need to be tweaked as it ages.)

Last edited:
What is your #222.11 BatTmpCps, and does it match battery specifications?
222.11 set to 4 mV/dC I'm not sure what a typical value should be, but that seems to be near the general google range? I think this is what mine was set to initially from the DC Solar trailer. My forklift batteries are GNB Tubular LMX.
Is there a way to specify battery IR or Peukert constant? (I think there is one for cables, maybe use that to fudge the V/I response of battery)

"13.7 Battery Lead Resistance
In menu ”221# Battery Property” you can specify the battery lead resistance (BatWirRes). The
resistance is the ohmic resistance of the battery up to the input of the Sunny Island master. The default
value of the parameter ”221.06 BatWirRes” is 0 m Ω ."

Note that will also affect charge voltage, especially if set higher than actual cable resistance.

Does battery SoC for voltage and current match data sheet, or does voltage sag lower than before?
(I'm wondering if parameters need to be tweaked as it ages.)
I might try to make some plots sometime, I do have data logged and it would be interesting to see.

Had this happen to me on Wednesday, next to no solar for 2 weeks and not connected to mains, no loads either but voltage has been dropping. SOC dropped from 93 to 20 at midnight. May give them a charge today.

There we go, now the SOC is correct! fun to watch. One of these days I'll look at this data and see how many Ahrs & kwhrs went in and out here. By eye, if taking out all the SOC resets shown, the real lowest SOC might have been around 70? So the original SOC estimate may be reasonable in the first place.
1703334770045.png

1703334861560.png

Back