diy solar

diy solar

Small Battery Pack Configuration

KWeirich

Hello,

I am building a small battery pack and would like to hear the opinions and ideas of the forum. It will provide back-up power for a CPAP along with the usual phone/laptop charging if needed. The CPAP requires 12 volts at a max of 3.14 amps, well within the capabilities of a 18650 pack.

The pack has to be air transportable so that limits the max WH of the pack. I could use a pre-built battery pack with a USB trigger board and (if necessary) a buck-boost converter to provide the steady 12 or 20 volts but:
  1. Packs that actually will provide the amperage I need at 12 or 20 volts are still relatively expensive, and
  2. I want this to be an opportunity to learn how to build a batter pack.
  3. Almost none provide any sort of non-USB outlet
From the research I have done opinion seems to be evenly split on how to configure the pack, either with a 4s2p or a 7s configuration. Both keep the battery within carry-on limits.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Warnings?

Thanks,
Kurt

Lotsa posts about CPAPs

When you say 18650, LFP is less common in that form factor than NCA or NMC chemistry. I would encourage you to stick with LFP, and don't lock yourself into a cell type without exploring options.

Recommend you use a kill-a-watt or similar to determine your actual CPAP energy requirements. Mine was somewhere between 0.2 and 0.3kWh with heater.

Hi! It's been a busy couple of weeks.

My Cpap can run off of 12 volt DC and I have a very good idea of the energy requirements. Since I don't use the heater it is pretty low.
You are correct about the battery chemistry and I would prefer LFP - I was thinking about size more than chemistry. No matter the chemistry I am still have to decide between configurations.

-Kurt

4S LFP is a great match for lead-acid 12V operating range allowing use of off-the-shelf 12V chargers. CPAP instantaneous power requirements are low, so you don't need to deal with a lot of current.

There is no good way to get 12V with 3.7V Li-Ion chemistry.

A 4S LFP battery with a wide input 12V regulator (8-40V input, 12V output, 10A) to output a constant 12V would be my choice.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Warnings?

Thanks,
Kurt
Zopec battery. You can build cheaper yourself. You can get cheaper battery packs. But, if you want some assurance it will work reliably ...

Also has power label in case they really inspect it. Home made could be denied if you get close to the limit and no easy way to prove it is under the limit.

Zopec battery. You can build cheaper yourself. You can get cheaper battery packs. But, if you want some assurance it will work reliably ...

Also has power label in case they really inspect it. Home made could be denied if you get close to the limit and no easy way to prove it is under the limit.
Thanks for the recommendation. This would be a good option if they had a direct DC outlet jack - I am trying to stay away from a inverter. But it is an option and you are correct about the possibility of an airline objection.

Back