diy solar

diy solar

Small lithium 12v scc recommendations ?

PfloydBham

Using 3s 5p, 3.7v cells and 1 100watt 12v panel to power led lights in a rural setting. Any suggestions for economical charge controller? Will a bms work with a cheap nonprogramable charger? I am new to this world, ao please overlook my ignorance. Any input is welcomed.
Tnanks

3.7v cells in a 3s config would only be 11.1v
what battery chemistry are you using? are these LiCo? LiPolimer, LiFePo4?
if you plan to power 12v loads, you need to have a 13.2V or so average voltage to properly power them.

4s would be better with LiFePO4
3s is near useless with Lipo... with 12v loads.

These are Boston Power Swing 5300. Lithium ion, similar to 18650s. Nominal voltage = 3.65 but charge to 4.2 volts. I will run 18 watt LEDs requiring 10v to 30v. I can build them to 3s or 4s but I am looking for a solar control that has a setting for lithium chemistry. At this point I am trying to identify the components required. I have an Epever BN programable on my Tesla set up but I don't want to cough up $200 for this small package to only run LED lights in a hunting camp. I am looking for a cheap, reliable way to have lighting in the middle of nowhere. What do you recommend?
Thanks for the input.
1577639874709.png1577639874709.png
Pink

I bought a Renogy wanderer 30A Li controller (PWM) for $26 about six months ago to use in a portable system with a 100 Ah Lifpo4 battery. I have only charged it with solar (2 x 100 watt panels in parallel) about ten times but so far it works well.

Wow! Does it have a lipo profile for 3.7 to 4.2v chemistry? I understand that LiFePo is at 3.2 nominal volts. I would think 3.7 is an earlier chemistry and may very well be one of many settings.
This is great news to me. do you have a link? I will look it up anyway but a link would be great. I am trying to figure out how to config a BMS to fit all the obscure parameters I am shooting for.
Thanks,
Pink

I believe mine charges at 14.4. Not sure to what degree you could customize the charge profile, but I do not think it is possible. Having trouble pasting the link but it is currently $30 on Amazon.

Thanks, I just looked them up. It was also suggested that I build 7s packs to run at 24v. This may be a palatable solution which would put the battery in a usable range for an inexpensive SCC and power the lights which run between 10v and 30v. I am going to try several configurations and see what works. Thanks
Pink

Have a look at these Solar Controllers which are made specifically for LFP / LTO

These are meant for "SMALL SYSTEMS" and do what they are designed to do and not over priced either. There are a few video's on YouTube (That's how I learned about them)

If want oto have dump loads when the battery is full and still use extra power generated, you can look at the Blue Sky products here.

Now I do NOT KNOW THESE PRODUCTS Personally but have seen good reviews & positive video's about them.

Back